Chom Doi 2 Condos - Advise Needed !

pmf113b

Hi,

Would appreciate any advise or opinions on Chom Doi 2 Condos near the irrigation canal, not the round building which apparently is Chom Doi but the square building to the right.

We have been looking around Chiang Mai both at the new developements and the old and came across this place.It seemed quite pleasent and quiet when we arrived. Reception area seemed bright, clean and cheerful. Also many condos overlook Doi Suthep and have super views. Anyone have any experience with living there or purchased condos ??

Looking for investment in Chiang Mai and new developements seem to be a very high price at the moment.

Would appreciate any help or guidence on prices etc.

Many thanks

Dont forget the mountain view apartmentsget afternoon sun - Very hot !

Stayed in the round building for 2 months, had to move out..evenwith aircon the heat was unbearable.

Suggest Mountain front as best value for money- and i am not associated with them, just personal opinion.

Have been in property business for many years and retired here now.

PM me is you want any other details or suggestions, advice.

Dont forget the mountain view apartmentsget afternoon sun - Very hot !

Stayed in the round building for 2 months, had to move out..evenwith aircon the heat was unbearable.

Suggest Mountain front as best value for money- and i am not associated with them, just personal opinion.

Have been in property business for many years and retired here now.

PM me is you want any other details or suggestions, advice.

Hi,

Thanks for info.

Yes we realise the problem with the heat but unfortunately if you want super views there will always be the issue of the sun. We only spend 6 months in Chiang Mai from Nov through March/April so it's not really an issue until mid Feb onwards.

Been up to Mountain Front and I must say very impressed with the reception area and swimming pool. Also lovely apartments with super views. But how long are they going to last, and for the prices they are asking I would want a guarentee that I wouldn't loose my lovely mountain view.!!

Actually in my humble opinion and 35 years of experience the prices they are asking are very reasonable for what you get. (assuming you get what they promise) If you have doubts ask owners at Convention - it was built and operated by the same developer- from all reports most people are happy with what they got.

Why do you think they are "expensive" - relative to what ?? Chom Doi??

Of course there is nowhere that you can get a guarantee that you wont lose your view - except maybe in the US where you can buy "air rights" to protect just that.

Edited by clinique

I think you will find that the round one is Chomdoi 2 (as it was built after the triangular one).

I have a unit in the round one and for what I was looking for it seemed to be the best deal around at the time (about 2yrs ago).

I found the units (assuming we are talking standard unit size) in Chomdoi Triangle building to be too small (I think its 35m2) whereas Chomdoi 2 is 47m2.

From what I have seen Chomdoi 2 has a far lower full time occupancy rate which makes it much quieter ( a lot of units are held by people who use occasionally ie BKK or out of province).

Sun will only be an issue if you have directly facing the mountain. Mine faces Southish and by the time the sun gets low is not an issue, can still see the mountain.

A couple of years ago there were many held by an asset company but these have now all been snapped up.

I was looking at CD1 last week with someone. All very good unitl we were ready to sign - a new guy emerged to say they don't want farangs as they have to report it to immigration and they have an immigrateion guy living there.

CD2 - the two storey penthouses at the top look nice.

I was looking at CD1 last week with someone. All very good unitl we were ready to sign - a new guy emerged to say they don't want farangs as they have to report it to immigration and they have an immigrateion guy living there.

What a coincidence, almost the same happened to me at Chomdoi 1 (triangle building). I almost bought a unit there in addition as it was very cheap. The seller never seemed to materialise. I later learned the agent had flogged it to someone else at a higher price. Fair enough but a total waste of my time. I once turned up to view a unit there and 5 agents all turned up although I only made an appointment with one!

For some reason there seemed to be a lot of people feeding off that building.

One thing to take into consideration is that Chomdoi has better parking than Hillside 2 or 3.

They also have swimming pools although small.

As for run down compared to other buildings of similar age in that location I would say in better condition. For example Hillside 2 & 3, Condo 103 in Nimm. Soi 12. The one on the Chonprathan/Huay Kaew junction.

One thing about the Mountain Front (is that past the 700yrs, near the army camp?). Some of the land titles out there are not Chanots. I forget the name now, but blocks of land given to army personnel in the past.

What a coincidence, almost the same happened to me at Chomdoi 1 (triangle building). I almost bought a unit there in addition as it was very cheap. The seller never seemed to materialise. I later learned the agent had flogged it to someone else at a higher price. Fair enough but a total waste of my time. I once turned up to view a unit there and 5 agents all turned up although I only made an appointment with one!

For some reason there seemed to be a lot of people feeding off that building.

One thing to take into consideration is that Chomdoi has better parking than Hillside 2 or 3.

They also have swimming pools although small.

As for run down compared to other buildings of similar age in that location I would say in better condition. For example Hillside 2 & 3, Condo 103 in Nimm. Soi 12. The one on the Chonprathan/Huay Kaew junction.

One thing about the Mountain Front (is that past the 700yrs, near the army camp?). Some of the land titles out there are not Chanots. I forget the name now, but blocks of land given to army personnel in the past.

Hi CM Sally,

I sent Solo Flyer a PM regarding his statement and apparently he was only looking to rent not buy. He felt that the two different people he was dealing with had changed the price for rental. Maybe miscommunication problems!!

Maybe there are lots of agents that sell from that particular building as there are over 400 rooms and probably lots of potential at cheaper prices than the newer condo units being built.

I have to agree with your comments on Hillside 2 and 3 I think they look more run down than the Chom Doi buildings, both the round and triangle.Especially the reception areas and the main corridors leading to the condos, very grubby!!. In terms of better value for money I think you can get much better units than Hillside 2 and 3 but their locations are very good, maybe that is why it suits many Falangs and the prices seem to be higher than units that don't have many Falangs, such as the Chom Doi condos.

Where you looking at a Studio there or a bigger unit?? Would appreicate if you could send me a PM detailing what you were looking at.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to be like a troll

But have been looking through the Condo for rent threads and I am coming back to CM in October and have been looking at the Condo Chom Doi to rent but have other ones to look at, has anyone get more recent news about Chom Doi??

Some of the posts from here and other places are old, have a mate that will go and check it out for me next week.

As I said I have other choices which are more popular Condo's but think Chom Doi may be quiet which is good for me but I think that it is a wee bit far from the Red taxi's

Years ago the average price at Chomdoi was 400K and they couldn't give them away (before the Nimmenhiemen revival), the buildings were run down but had great potential if many new buyers entered those hollow buildings, took on the management and got things sorted out (doubt that ever happened). The top levels are 2 bed 2 storey apartments, with the odd double making a very large space. Chomdoi is central city whilst Mountainview is in the sitcks if ever wanting to rent out, that is new now but how will it look in 10 years? As such have to disagree with Clinique as think Chomdoi is a better location, even if troubled with the usual bad, thieving, inept, incompetent management, as Mountainview will probably end up the same.

Consider, in Moobans and condos do the developers stay on as management as they wish to preserve the integrity of the project or so they can bleed it for more profit with minimal maintenance and excessive fees for years into the future? I had a moobaan house and a house in the suburbs, sold the moobaan house, living amoungst the Thais is both cheaper and far better, add to that the Tessabaan services are better to boot. Moobaan security is an illusion, there are better and cheaper options if you give up irrational and unfounded fear of the locals. Soi dogs do a much better job than a sleeping guard, everyone here helps feed them as they earn their keep.

Lived in both of them. I lived in the square one in 2006 and I faced the mountain, I was either on the 3rd or fourth level. I never felt that the room got too warm. The rooms are a decent size, but the stairwells are dark and dank. There can be a smell to them too. You will get roaches there. I didn't have a problem with noise or anyone there. It wasn't a bad experience renting there, but I don't think I would buy there.