Luggage Overwieght... How Do You Deal With It?

oz457

I remember when the limit to and from the US was 2 bags 65 lbs each bag, now it is 2 bags 50 lbs each bag. And yes, I usually have my limit and no, I don't feel guilty. The people who work as baggage handlers are aware that the bag can be 50 lbs and presumably make those allowances. I am not their mommy nor their babysitter to make sure my bag, which is in the allowable limits, is too much for them.

That said, many airlines allow only one bag and that 20k. A report states that Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Thai International, Cathay Pacific, JAL, ANA, Swiss International and Air China have the lowest.

A bag which is within published airline limits by definition is not too much for an airline employee to handle -- no Mommy required... Only when as with some of the early posts they are around 50% over and it is the number of such bags per day that might prove injurious to the employee...

I've flown often enough to have seen some employee struggling with someone's over-weight bag ... if you have as well and don't care, well ...

This is one experience I had with over-sized carry-on luggage:

In 1998 I had surgery following a bicycle accident when I had to have my smashed collar-bone rebuilt. I came to Thailand for R&R and to spend hours in the hotel pool each day for re-hab exercises. On the way back I was at the United Airlines gate at Tokyo Narita in full sling and traction belt. There was another couple there each with 2 large carry-on bags and she was complaining that she had injured her foot and could they please board early -- I suppose to be assured overhead bin storage. No problem said the gate agent.

On the way down the Jetway the woman turned to me and asked 'Do you wear that sling just so you can get early boarding?' I did a slow burn and said 'Yes... I arrange to have surgery before ALL my flights."

We got on board and the two of them promptly plunked themselves down in the B747 emergency row seats and I heard them later say to the flight attendant that they were in perfect health and would of course be able to operate the emergency door. Had the woman not made that remark to me on the Jetway I probably would have not said anything but I was livid. I called the purser and asked: How can one who requests early boarding at the gate due to injury then sit in the emergency row and claim 'fit as a fiddle'?

The purser asked her to leave the emergency row -- and he personally sent me a $100 voucher saying that we sometimes can use an extra pair of eyes ... I am an FAA licensed pilot ... and I sometimes enjoy playing Mommy.

Who knows -- based on some posts herein that couple may be ThaiVisa members in good standing.