Opening Hours

marquess

When I started visiting pubs 30 years ago, Scotland had a closing time of 10.00, which meant that most folk downed as much alcohol as they could between 9.00 and 10.00! Now, our licensing laws are much more liberalised with all bars being allowed to open until 11.00 - later in zoned areas in city centres.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a 2.00 am closing time but I really would object to it being changed to midnight or worse, 10.00. This could end up in a load of drunks being forced out on the streets at the same time with unfortunate consequences.

Actually, I reckon all that would happen (as did happen occasionally in Scotland) is that the lights and the music would be turned off and they would just carry on serving with perhaps an increase in the bribes being paid to the local constabulary. Or am I being a tad cynical here?

Alan

everybody think "oh s#4###, they are closing earlier, where am I going to drink now?

but...

how many people work and earn money working in bars or any other entertainment places ?

and how many people are working sidely to these business, food, taxis ..etc ?

Thailand can be proud... they have reach the standard in politics ...

"a brainless government"

when will they think of people first?

may be the day their interest would be secured ... :o

francois

I am a sociable beer drinker everywhere I go. I go out to bars, Go Go's, restaurants and even bigger venues like Xcite. My life has revolved around meeting people and travelling the world and having a beer in bars goes nice with that. I am fairly fit and I have never been in trouble with the law for any drunken related actions.

Can somebody tell me how would closing bars at 10 PM in say Pattaya be of any use at all for the Thai youth in question. I have never seen any Thai youth in these places anyway. Yeah sure places like xcite does attract "Thai Youth" but the last time I went there they were checking ID cards at the door and appeared strict on entry. Even right now I get most anoyed when the music gets turned off and the lights come on at 2AM.

The problem I think in Thailand is not many people speak out and question the pollies. We need Thai people and Thai Business leaders writting letters to the Government and newspapers. Stand up and question your leaders. My Thai wife claims very little is being said by way of letters to newspapers. If I could write Thai I would write letters to the newspapers and the Government too but then again I am just a Farang and they wouldn't listen to me anyway. 2003 had already been hard on Thai tourism, don't kill it off altogeather. Come on Thai's speak up and write your letters now and keep your Countrie's image of being "The Land of Smiles" not the land of a "Good nights Sleep" Chok Dee.

I can't believe that any sane government would not realise that closing entertainment venues at 10pm would do enormous damage to the economy and livlihood of thousands of Thai workers, so I can't see it happening.

If underage kids are going to such places, paying a 100 Baht bribe to the doorman as I read somewhere, then it needs to be dealt with at parent level. Kids need to be disciplined. That is the duty and responsibility of the parents. That's part of the deal when you have kids.

But my wife tells me that many parents are too busy working all hours. I may be old-fashioned and accused of being sexist, but when I was a kid the father went to work and the woman's job was raising the family. And it worked. We got by with one income, so why now do families need two? For the luxury extras that eveyone demands these days, I'd guess, but it's at the expense of bringing up your kids in a responsible manner. Society has changed, and so kids are going to be under less control. That's the way it is and no laws are going to change it, and if kids want to get up to anything they'll do it anywhere and at any time they can.

But a thought that was prompted by seeing a Pattaya Beach Road beer bar open at 7am - there might be a legal closing time, but as far as I know there is no law dictating when you can open. So close at 10pm, clear everyone out onto the street for 10 minutes, and open again.

Reminds me of when there was Bangkok's version of the Towering Inferno when what is now the Inter-Continental building caught fire the day before it was due to open. They'd complied okay with the law saying that a sprinkler system had to be installed. But there was no law saying it had to be turned on.......

I find it a bit strange that the committee reviewing bar operating hours in Thailand should be headed by a muslim - Wan Nor Mohhamed. This time, though, the Government may have miscalculated.

If the 10 pm closing time is enforced, people will just host parties at home from 10.30 pm onwards.

The next step will be periodic raids of private homes with people being arrested for having prostitutes on the premises, conducting unlicenced celebrations and all sorts of other daft excuses for making life a misery. The end is nigh.

Seems the government is in denial about the some of the sources of the problem. Parental responsibilty, denial, and lack of law itself. Walk through nearly any soi into the late hours of the night and it is common to see young kids, alone of all things, walking and playing. Is there a curfew? At 1AM, on any night of the week, kids who are 8 years old do not belong outside. Is it any wonder kids do not have high GPA's in this country.

Parents seem to have a lot of denial about what their kids are really doing and I have witnessed police allowing kids as young as 11 or 12 years of age, drinking alcohol on a street corner on Ramkhamhaeng whilst in their school uniform. How could a parent not know their children are not drinking? Is the law that blind?

Sure, Thaksin talked to a 14 year old girl who admitted she could get into a nightclub. That is a cause for concern, I agree. Like most of you stated, that rests upon on the club checking for ID and ensuring they don't get in. I do agree as well, if they are doing this, close them down. It is not right. By the same token, not every nightspot is guilty of this and do take precautions against allowing minors into their clubs. Certainly, they are harming nobody and if an adult wishes to drink that up to them. Likewise, I have opted not to drink for the past 13 years. That's my choice.

There's the nationalisitic attitude, "we've been around for 500 and some odd years without the foreigeners, and we will continue to do as we please without them. It's our country." Again, that attitude too may backfire. As has been stated on this forum, it may kill tourism. Yes, Thailand does need foreigeners. If not, why the big promotion to get people here? Why the crying when SARS hit? The Iraqi war? No, without tourism, you're history in terms of economical advances (just naming one).

Just remember Khun Thaksin, when you point a finger at someone, three point back at you. And three I've named are those you should be looking at and try to educate these people. The governments denial, the lack of parental control, and the blind eye of the law.

As Trink succintly put it, "the powers that be are determined to destroy the entertainment industry". Toxin said today that he does not see why drinkers can't compromise and go home at 12 pm to their families. Thanks mate, but I would rather make up my own mind, rather than have him do it for me.

I can’t even remember the last time I was up past midnight. But that doesn’t stop me from reading the latest from Toxin with absolute disgust.

Firstly, I can assure you that if AIS owned and operated discos, clubs and pubs throughout the kingdom, there would be no talk about earlier closing times and the 2am law would never have been enacted.

Yesterday, Toxin was quoted in the Bangkok Post as saying that if clubs were open from 7pm to midnight, partygoers would still get the same 5 hours as they do with the present 9pm to 2am times. So what was the problem he wondered? Toxin, toxin, toxin…. While you’re at it, change business hours from 6am to 2pm and school hours from 3pm to 9pm. After all, what’s the difference? As long as we’re at work and school for the same number of hours. More intelligence with complete and utter lack of common sense…

This law will only result in more home parties (with them eventually made illegal no doubt), more drinking (closing time is coming), more fights (its midnight, I’m raging drunk, and I'm sitting on the street amonst 1000 other drunk people- Just look at England) and less tourists (don’t for a second believe that foreigners won’t be put off by these laws- Just look at Singapore).

PLEASE TOXIN, GO BACK TO YOUR BUSINESSES AND LEAVE THE PEOPLE OF THAILAND ALONE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

PLEASE TOXIN, LISTEN TO HOW THE FARANGS WANT THAILAND TO BE.

Common sense meemiathai, common sense. Is it really too much to ask? Look at European countries with early closing times and compare their situation to those with late closing times. You'll find that its well documented that the late closers have far fewer problems. Believe it or not, some adults are capable of making their own decisions.

And I don't see any rebuttal regarding the AIS comment from anyone. I guess that's because its pretty self evident. But the general opinion of a lot of Thais is 'well at least he's doing something'. Is it fair, legal or democratic? 'I don't know. Hey, at least he's doing something'.

Common sense meemiathai, common sense. Is it really too much to ask? Look at European countries with early closing times and compare their situation to those with late closing times. You'll find that its well documented that the late closers have far fewer problems. Believe it or not, some adults are capable of making their own decisions.

One only has to look at England, 11pm closing on a Sat and 10pm during the week for the Pubs without special licences, and that is about 90% of them. At 11pm everyone is on the streets looking for something to do. The closing times, have in turn breed a culture of binge drinking. Get them in before closing time. If adults are to be adults then they will have to be allowed to be responsible, afteral I thought that that was what being and adult was about?

One only has to look at England, 11pm closing on a Sat and 10pm during the week for the Pubs without special licences, and that is about 90% of them. At 11pm everyone is on the streets looking for something to do. The closing times, have in turn breed a culture of binge drinking. Get them in before closing time. If adults are to be adults then they will have to be allowed to be responsible, afteral I thought that that was what being and adult was about?

Well put Marquess. Contrary to popular belief by our man Toxin, after putting down as many Chang's as popular before closing time, the vast majority of ADULTS will not run home to be with their family. They will look for a place to continue. Early closing times may deter some teenagers from staying out all night, but as has been pointed out here already, more laws are not the way to deal with teenagers who are drinking and losing their virginity too early in the opinion of TRT.

Also, any plans by TRT to compensate the millions of small business owners who will be hurt by further government meddling? I didn't think so...

One only has to look at England, 11pm closing on a Sat and 10pm during the week for the Pubs without special licences, and that is about 90% of them. At 11pm everyone is on the streets looking for something to do. The closing times, have in turn breed a culture of binge drinking. Get them in before closing time.
Well, how long has it been like that? And why aren't the rules being changed if that is such a problem? IMO, people from different countries or nations have different nature or charateristics and will adapt to situations differently. I think it is the problem of the people and not the law. Afterall, don't those people in England have to work the next morning?

One example: a few years back, 2 friends from London came to HK to visit me and stayed at my place. And for most of the time of the 3-week holiday, they were seeing just the moon of HK. They wake up everyday at 4-5pm and were just visiting discos & bars. Did they need to fly that far for that?

If adults are to be adults then they will have to be allowed to be responsible, afteral I thought that that was what being and adult was about?
I don't think there are such things as adults. Humans are humans, and most humans are incapable of being responsible regardless of whatever age they are. Try legalizing recreational drugs to adults! Why not? Why need any law?

There are no systems or laws that will please or be beneficial to everyone. Personally, I prefer no limitations to the closing time so that if I do go out occassionally I could enjoy myself till whatever time I want. But IF it's for the long term benefits of the country, I am willing to sacrifice and support.

I have no idea on that, Bob.

Perhaps you guys are right. But who knows? But I doubt that Mr Taksin is less wise than anyone of us here. And I do believe that he is loyal to his country. And guys, try imagining yourselves in his seat and realize what it is like to be responsible for a whole country!

Thanks for all the responses.

meemianoi. ooops!!!

Thaksin's a former police officer, and a degreed criminologist. Thus he approaches every problem from the angle of law enforcement, ie throw more laws at the problem and it will go away.

If Thais are drinking too much and staying out too late to be good, productive members of society, then you're going to have to do much more than make laws. Just as killing -- without trial -- 2500 minor dope dealers won't stop the drug problem (it certainly has had no visible effect in my neighborhood) -- changing the opening-closing times of bars will have no effect whatsoever on productivity/sociability. Solving problems like these -- if indeed you see them as problems -- requires a more complex, multi-pronged approach that involves education (of parents as well as children) foremost.

Unfortunately Thaksin seems incapable of anything but a one-dimensional approach when it comes to self-proclaimed moral issues like drugs, drinking and prostitution.

And every time someone who's really qualified to comment on these problems - such as a tenured Thai professor of sociology, psychology or political science -- criticizes Thaksin's one-sided approach, his reply is invariably 'Don't listen to them, they don't know what they're talking about.'

One thing though, it certainly makes for amusing newspaper reading each morning. I've been in Thailand for 27 years, and Thai news is more entertaining now than I can ever remember.

I live in China where there is no minimum drinking age. My friend and I have sent his 6 year old kid to go buy beer for us. There are no time restrictions on bars, as far as I know of, I used to drink in one place until 3-4 AM. I have never seen any Chinese person in the bars younger than maybe 18-20. No teens, no schoolkids.

Is Thailand such a different culture after all? Are there 13 year old kids sitting on bar stools in that country? They should not be actually, nor do I want them there. I am sure the bar owners dont want kids in their joints, because the kids will get into trouble with the parents, the police, and cause troubles with the bar owners

I am going there in a couple of days and MAYBE spending two days in Bangkok. I want to see Khao San Road and the so called "infamous" places. I am not a sex tourist, I have an oriental wife that I play with here. Too much damned AIDS anyway. I want to see the landscape, the people and the beaches.

The government should set a drinking age and enforce it. No one under 18. I never understood the concept of time and drinking. 2 AM, 10 PM, whenever, if I want to drink, and I am an adult, why stop me. Once in my hometown, I had to grab a beer, throw the money at the clerks face and make a mad dash out the door because I was thirsty at 0430 and it was illegal to sell past 0300. Oh well.

I plan on having a couple of beers in me watching the sun go down into the Andaman Sea in Phuket. There is not a government on Earth that can prevent me from doing that.

Vientiane Laos is the most boring major city in SE Asia. Has to be. There is one good beer garden there, and Lao beer is the best. I go there for the peace and quiet, the monks and the green tobacco. I am going there on my way back to China. One can do Vientiane in ONE day and be bored. Looking at the Mekong at nightfall ius pretty cool though.

The beach, 7/11, sex, and drugs are all 24/7.

SENOR

Thaksin's a former police officer, and a degreed criminologist. Thus he approaches every problem from the angle of law enforcement, ie throw more laws at the problem and it will go away.

If Thais are drinking too much and staying out too late to be good, productive members of society, then you're going to have to do much more than make laws. Just as killing -- without trial -- 2500 minor dope dealers won't stop the drug problem (it certainly has had no visible effect in my neighborhood) -- changing the opening-closing times of bars will have no effect whatsoever on productivity/sociability. Solving problems like these -- if indeed you see them as problems -- requires a more complex, multi-pronged approach that involves education (of parents as well as children) foremost.

Unfortunately Thaksin seems incapable of anything but a one-dimensional approach when it comes to self-proclaimed moral issues like drugs, drinking and prostitution.

And every time someone who's really qualified to comment on these problems - such as a tenured Thai professor of sociology, psychology or political science -- criticizes Thaksin's one-sided approach, his reply is invariably 'Don't listen to them, they don't know what they're talking about.'

One thing though, it certainly makes for amusing newspaper reading each morning. I've been in Thailand for 27 years, and Thai news is more entertaining now than I can ever remember.

Very, very well put sabaijai.

Also, any plans by TRT to compensate the millions of small business owners who will be hurt by further government meddling? I didn't think so...
BTW, I am sure a lot of ex-drugdealers have changed to different careers already.

I think a lot of ex drug dealers are dead, not enjoying new careers. But at any rate, even his crack down on drugs is dubious at best. Of course I agree with the general notion, that drugs are not good for society, but there are major international groups who have openly expressed their extreme concern for Toxin's tactics in the war on drugs.

But I'm not talking about drug dealers. I'm talking about small business owners who were already hurt when the 2am law was enforced and will be hurt further with any implementation of an earlier closing time.

If adults are to be adults then they will have to be allowed to be responsible, afteral I thought that that was what being and adult was about?
I don't think there are such things as adults. Humans are humans, and most humans are incapable of being responsible regardless of whatever age they are.

But I doubt that Mr Taksin is less wise than anyone of us here. And I do believe that he is loyal to his country. And guys, try imagining yourselves in his seat and realize what it is like to be responsible for a whole country!

But I doubt that Mr Taksin is less wise than anyone of us here. And I do believe that he is loyal to his country. And guys, try imagining yourselves in his seat and realize what it is like to be responsible for a whole country!

I guess I am of the opinion that a person over the age of 18 or 20 should be able to decide for himself on the issue of when they will call it a night. I believe the vast majority of people can live and learn and make their own decisions. At any rate, I don't believe it is the job of the government to tell its people when they may have a drink, when they need to go home and when its okay to lose your virginity.

I have no doubt that Toxin is loyal to his country and also extremely intelligent. Yes, he wants 'what is best for Thailand'. So what is best for Thailand? If one day you can't decipher between Bangkok and Singpore, is that best for Thailand? Maybe we should leave it up to the Thais to decide. BUT I can say that my experience is that the Thais won't challenge authority or ask any tough questions. So I feel somewhat justified in getting involved in debates here despite the fact that I am a guest.

Finally, even if he wants what is best for his country, he also wants what is best for his companies. At times this must lead to massive conflicts of interests. As I've seen written elsewhere, 'the richest man of a country should not also be the political leader'.