Questions Regarding Teaching!

It's a side road off Sukhumvit in Bangkok, close to Soi Cowboy. The girlie bars/clubs there are more expensive than the other gogo/beer bar areas and favoured by Japanese clients.

I disagree, it is frequented by mostly expats from England that are not English teachers, as it costs more.

OP, get yourself over here, forget Uni or getting a degree.

I did a degree course before I came here - waste of time.

You can always buy one here.

You spend 4 years teaching in Thailand and I guarantee you will be a better teacher than some spotty 22 year old graduate who is coming out for a year or two.

Disagree - big time!! How can you educate others if you aren't educated yourself? And what if that spotty 22 year old graduate held a degree in education? He may not have the 4 years experience but he would have a sound knowledge of methodology. The last thing we need is more bad teachers. People who think they can teach English just because they can speak it? Not worth the money they are paid.

Get a degree.

Isn't that the truth. There are so many uneducated "so called english teachers" in Thailand as it is. Thailand do not need another. You can do the whole country a favor by being educated and quailified. If you are not and the locals knows, eventually, they will not respect. note the word "eventually". GET A DEGREE!!!

As much as the some English teachers would like to think, a degree does not make teachers better than learning the "trade", IMHO.

How can learning about architecture make one a better English teacher?

I worked with many guys without a degree who were excellent teachers.

I worked with more that had a degree and were crap.

A few had Masters in applied linguistics or TEFL and they were crap too.

I'm not saying that having a Masters makes you crap.

I'm not saying that not having a degree makes you a good teacher.

I've worked with Thais with PhDs and those without just P6 qualifications.

The ones with PhDs have their head so far up the arse, they can't teach to save their lives.

Just my honest opinion from working as an English teacher in Thailand for over 10 years.

For all the guys disagreeing - if you want to learn Thai, or have learned Thai, what kind of teacher did you go for?

The one who had lots of experience around farang, living in England for a few years and no degree, or the one with a PhD in Architecture who had been in Uni for 10 years and couldn't speak a word of English. Of course the one with the PhD is qualified to teach due to their great understanding of the Thai language.

I've never had Thai lessons, but can speak/read/write it. How? By hanging out with a lot of Thais and believe me most of them didn't have degrees.

Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us.

When we stop focusing on the teacher without a degree, we may notince that he touches our most sensitive area.

N :o N

Edited by Neeranam

I think traveling is good for young folks. it makes them grow up faster. at 19, you go on an one year adventure, and still return to school. no loss, all gain.

..just remember you are not invincible, and you should be ok. enjoy your life. get those happy memories.

also...

don't forget girls can make babies.

I know this guy who came over and had 2 kids before he was age 24. talk about stressed out and confused. ..you don't want to be in this situation.

I think traveling is good for young folks.  it makes them grow up faster.  at 19, you go on an one year adventure, and still return to school.  no loss, all gain.

..just remember you are not invincible, and you should be ok.  enjoy your life.  get those happy memories.

also...

don't forget girls can make babies.

I know this guy who came over and had 2 kids before he was age 24.  talk about stressed out and confused.  ..you don't want to be in this situation.

No, I don't want to be in that situation...