Passenger Van Drivers In Thailand Undergo Training To Increase Road Safety

webfact

Passenger van drivers undergo training to increase road safety

BANGKOK, 8 March 2011 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport has launched a campaign to promote driving disciplines among 200 van divers to reduce accidents on toll ways.

The Department, in cooperation with Donmuang toll way Public Company Limited, is organizing a seminar for passenger van operators as well as their drivers in an attempt to promote road safety.

According to Deputy Director of the Department of Land Transport Pongchai Kasemthavisak, speeding and sub-standard vans are the two major causes of accidents on toll ways. The campaign is aimed at promoting road disciplines among passenger van drivers, and an awareness in their responsibilities towards passengers' lives, as well as raising the standards of vehicles used in public transport.

Apart from the seminar, the Department of Land Transport has been conducting thorough inspections of passenger vans and drivers to make sure their conditions are ready for service. He also encouraged anyone to report to the passenger protection center 24 hours at 1584 if they have seen vans going beyond speed limits or vehicles that do not meet the safety requirements.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-08 footer_n.gif

Just paying lip service to the problem, nothing will change as people will just once again turn a blind eye, it was only a few weeks ago that they were instructed to fit seat belts, then that died down and we won't hear about it again until the next fatal crash involving one of these vehicles (so probably this week).

Just paying lip service to the problem, nothing will change as people will just once again turn a blind eye, it was only a few weeks ago that they were instructed to fit seat belts, then that died down and we won't hear about it again until the next fatal crash involving one of these vehicles (so probably this week).

Agree - wow - 200 to be 'trained'. Well that takes care of Nakhon Nayok rolleyes.gif

As most vehicular accidents do not seem unavoidable but more reported causes are speed, alcohol/drug related. driver fell asleep, too fast for conditions, etc, maybe required driving schools, random drug/alcohol tests, and duty hour enforcement would accomplish a lot more than a seminar. A seminar is as noted earlier 'lip service'. The only thing lacking is a committee to get the ball rolling. (sorry missed there were 2 groups working on the problem. I guess there is a committee somewhere in there)

What a joke and an insult to all of the victims. 200 passenger van drivers is the equivalent of all the ones you see at Victory Monument at one time. This is like a speck of dust on a giant’s foot. So 1/1,000,000th of the problem is being campaigned.

Thailand needs to hit this matter hard and fast. They need to act like one of the modern countries and not tomorrow but TODAY, start sending in every driver in Thailand who holds a license that allows them to drive passengers (now here’s a joke in its self,) and have them:

1) Drug tested (including Yabba and red bull.)

2) Proper medical tests, eyes, ears, mental state etc.

3) Re-test their driving skills and re-train them in basic driving.

4) Plant “electro-shock” in their heads so when they go past the speed limit they get zapped.

5) Plant “auto-ball-torture” in their pants so when they cross 4 lanes of traffic to pick up a passenger or try to pass a truck going up-hill etc all of a sudden, “OUCH!!!!!!!!!.”

But in real they really need to impose strict rules and hit this matter hard not just 200 mini vans on the Don Muang toll ways. Sure you can say “well it’s a start.” But I see it as more of an insult and more crap that the government isn’t concerned about.

RIP to all that have lost their lives in the recent 5 to 6 accidents and to all the others in the past. Hopefully someone will do something in your memories.

Having a seminar ! another pathetic Public promotion to save face and look as though they are doing something. Why not do it properly from the start, introduce "special" licences for passenger carrying vehicles, make them ALL re-take a stiffer driving exam to get the licence, make the awareness of public safety and responsibility part of that exam. Get the Police to actually enforce the new licence at every conceivable opportunity and make them give REAL penalties like loss of licence not 100 baht for the noodles.. Perform regular and random tests for drug and alchohol abuse. Then they maight start to make a difference. AND SAVE LIVES !

<deleted>; they reckon holding a seminar for 200 van drivers and calling it training will fix the problem!!! Agree with the comments above; drugs, speeding, aggressive driving are the root problems.

It is a start though. A couple of years ago they did a similar one for truck drivers. After the course a couple of them were interviewed. One said that he learnt a lot and now knows to pull over and let emergency vehicles past! :whistling:

What is needed is every driver/rider to do proper training courses; both theoretical and practical. A friend enquired about getting a car driving licence, they said to go out and practise on the road and then come back and do the test. No requirement to show that you know the laws etc beforehand!

I love Thailand, but the driving standard is appalling and so is the death toll. Just so sad that the basics aren't done to educate and protect people. At least i think here in Pattaya they seem to be getting more serious about enforcing helmet laws.

What a joke and an insult to all of the victims. 200 passenger van drivers is the equivalent of all the ones you see at Victory Monument at one time. This is like a speck of dust on a giant's foot. So 1/1,000,000th of the problem is being campaigned.

Thailand needs to hit this matter hard and fast. They need to act like one of the modern countries and not tomorrow but TODAY, start sending in every driver in Thailand who holds a license that allows them to drive passengers (now here's a joke in its self,) and have them:

1) Drug tested (including Yabba and red bull.)

2) Proper medical tests, eyes, ears, mental state etc.

3) Re-test their driving skills and re-train them in basic driving.

4) Plant "electro-shock" in their heads so when they go past the speed limit they get zapped.

5) Plant "auto-ball-torture" in their pants so when they cross 4 lanes of traffic to pick up a passenger or try to pass a truck going up-hill etc all of a sudden, "OUCH!!!!!!!!!."

But in real they really need to impose strict rules and hit this matter hard not just 200 mini vans on the Don Muang toll ways. Sure you can say "well it's a start." But I see it as more of an insult and more crap that the government isn't concerned about.

RIP to all that have lost their lives in the recent 5 to 6 accidents and to all the others in the past. Hopefully someone will do something in your memories.

Strange, the last 2 times I've driven into Bangkok on Highway 7, I've been stopped for speeding, but the well marked Sattahip-Bangkok passenger van I was in the other day was pushing 170 in the middle of the day with a low life yabaed out loser driving it. Where are the police when you actually want them?

I also noticed a clear look of hostility on this clowns face when I got into the van, apparently these drivers know farangs are more likely to complain or scream at them to slow down than Thais are. I included that comment to say that training is not the problem, it's both the quality of drivers and the discipline, but if they hired quality drivers they could not transport you 150 kilometers for 140 baht.

Edited by Bobr

got stopped by the police doing bkk to bua yai in a minibus doing over 140km per hour . my thai gf translated that the police asked the driver which company he worked for .. driver produced a buisiness card and on our way we went without any fine paid .... cost me 500baht when i got stopped on the same road doing 110km an hour in my rented car . minibus is 300 baht . i guess i ll stick to minibus now and carry a load of thai amulets with me for good measure

edit . forgot to rant about the large truck overtaking another truck which is already overtaking another truck on the steep part of the road before getting to the large lake / reservoir . speed goes down to 20

km an hour ... not so good when the minibus gets there at 140 km an hour .

Edited by livil

I remember her indoors telling me you will never change these people, not in your lifetime... She was right. Its not about driving, the problems lie deep rooted in their society. Growing up with no responsibilty or accountability where face is an excuse for all your indiscretions. If they are not caught at birth forget it.. Their immature anti social behaviour will be with them throughout life. Driving is just one of the ways it shows itself to us farangs.

Nothing will happen until police start handing out tickets...that mean something other than 100B under the table payment.

Exactly. They need to police the tollways in a proper manner. The safest probably being cctv and speed cameras, that would hopefully bring an end to lane swapping also an end to using the emergency lane (inside lane). Those roads are just like a demolition derby. It is not so much training they need, but hitting where it hurts most, their pockets and if they have a licence take it away from them. While they are at it they could do the same for all the morons that drive in the same manner It would also help to stop the police from taking under the table payments. Then they could go down to the normal freeway and do the same there. Pity it will never happen?

jbi

I remember her indoors telling me you will never change these people, not in your lifetime... She was right. Its not about driving, the problems lie deep rooted in their society. Growing up with no responsibilty or accountability where face is an excuse for all your indiscretions. If they are not caught at birth forget it.. Their immature anti social behaviour will be with them throughout life. Driving is just one of the ways it shows itself to us farangs.

Sadly you're right, drivers training has nothing to do with the driving problems here, it's much deeper than that. The childishness and selfishness is cultural and the manner in which they drive is a logical extension of that cultural problem. Even a grocery cart in Big C or Lotus will almost invariably be stopped in the middle of the aisle with complete disregard to others who cannot get around it, and there is no driver's training for those.

I saw the mention of ' Driver training' , in my 7 years spent in Thailand , using local conveyance and watching the antics of the majority of ' Vehicular propellers' , where will they find correct drivers to do the teaching ? From what I have read here on TV , there is not , in reality , a test as such , pay your B500 and receive a piece of paper proving competence . Training chimps would be more appropriate .

agree, sending e mails to school about the busses who transporting the children to and from school, driver and all children include the two on the front seat never wearing a seat bell.

Never got any reponse on my e mails, visit the school informed them again, nothing happening.

My GF and I sending them now ourselfs, as safety isn't thye schools priority.

I saw the mention of ' Driver training' , in my 7 years spent in Thailand , using local conveyance and watching the antics of the majority of ' Vehicular propellers' , where will they find correct drivers to do the teaching ? From what I have read here on TV , there is not , in reality , a test as such , pay your B500 and receive a piece of paper proving competence . Training chimps would be more appropriate .

In Phuket everyone who wants a licence has to sit through a video presentation, pass a written test, eye & reaction test, followed by a driving test. However, there should be a special licence & more stringent testing for those who will be driving passenger vehicles. Also the owners of all passenger vehicles should be held more accountable, not just the drivers. Will increased safety impact the pricing. No doubt it will be used as an excuse but the transport companies are probably making pretty good profits already & if companies have good safety records they should be able to attract more custom.

Nothing will happen until police start handing out tickets...that mean something other than 100B under the table payment.

In the right direction, but tickets not enough.

On the spot arrest, cancellation of license and seizure of vehicle. A police or military driver supplied to complete the journey, so as not to inconvenience the passengers, then impound the vehicle. Hit the companies hard, or forget it.

Where do you start? Kids on motorbikes, entire families on one motorbike, helmets rarely seen. Pickup trucks with 20 people piled in the back, others overloaded or with insecure loads. Bus drivers who think they are rally drivers, Lane swapping, tail gating, broken suspension and lights, brakes that are metal on metal, engines that burn more oil than fuel, onboard discos running at 110 decibels, eating, drinking, mobile phoning whilst driving at full speed.

The only vehicles I feel safe in are the Song Tauws, built like tanks and rarely do more than 30kph.

I love Thailand but this is the post of the day!!:clap2:

What about all the other reckless, uneducated drivers?

You know, the person who first writes a book defining "Thai Logic" will be rich and famous!

A well known Thai of my acquaintance told me once "The only place you will find logic in Thailand is in a dictionary"