How To Work Out If I Can Get Aust Network Sat Tv

haveaniceday

I believe the Australia Network sat is just above the Eastern horizon, but thats all I know. We are looking at some land, and I am trying to avoid frustations in the future, I know thhere are some Sat TV buffs around here, I really have no clue on the subject, but, is there any rule of Thumb I can use to work out If I can get it using SIMPLE maths :)

Go to:

http://www.intelsat.com/resources/satellitedata-pas/look_calc.asp

Input PAS-8 (intelsat 8) and your approximate location in Thailand. That should give you the elevation. The direction is eastward and a bit south.

See http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=5156 for a general coverage area map.

Take a GPS measurement at dish site and save the location in memory. Look east and get yourself to the highest hill in that general direction. Do the same at the top of the hill. Your GPS should have a place to find the distance between two points. This is a "reference ellipsoid" distance measurement *on the ellipsoid*, so not a straight-line measurement betweeen two points, but a measurement of the distance travelled on the ellipsoid.

Subtract the heights from each other.

You now have two sides in a right triangle, the opposite(height) and the adjacent(distance).

Since Tan(angle)=opposite/adjacent, you can find the angle (elevation) by doing Tan-1(opposite/adjacent).

That's the simplest, most precise way I know of with commonly available instruments.

If you want to go real simple, a piece of string fairly long, a measurement tape and a stick.

Attach the string to the ground. Get your eye to the ground and get someone to move the stick till its end precisely covers the top of the hill while in a 90 degree angle to the ground. You now have the opposite(length of stick) and the adjacent(distance to stick on ground). Repeat as above.

I emailed bloody Optus and no reply as yet...can see it (sats) from s Thailand but PPV.... asked how I subscribe..stil waiting......missing Kath and Kim ...lol

Only australian tv broadcast to Thailand legally is Australia network, go to here to see where optus broadcast Australian TV to.

I have had the Australia Network now for a very long time. I bought a second hand 3 meter dish (EX star TV) and Hivion receiver from my local Infosat dealer, Then put a large concrete block in the ground (3'x3'x3') put it all together and got the local Infosat bloke to come and set it up and it has been trouble free and free to air. This satellite also offers a number of other channels as well including the BBC .

Good luck with it folks. My location is in lower Chiang Rai province.

I've had the aus network for three years here in Ubon. the only decent thing on it now is the news and you also BBC asia. They have taken off the Super 15's rugby and the NRL. they still have the AFL and everything else is repeats, repeats and repeats again of shows three years old. I wouldn't bother with it unless you want the AFL.

that's my opinion because i am so dirty on them not showing the rugby.

I have had the Australia Network now for a very long time. I bought a second hand 3 meter dish (EX star TV) and Hivion receiver from my local Infosat dealer, Then put a large concrete block in the ground (3'x3'x3') put it all together and got the local Infosat bloke to come and set it up and it has been trouble free and free to air. This satellite also offers a number of other channels as well including the BBC .

Good luck with it folks. My location is in lower Chiang Rai province.

Okay good thanks guys...just waiting for my sat-meter to get here..Its called "First Strike" from DMS Intl..looks pretty easy to use and no strings or trigonometry...lol I tried once using string, inclinometer, compass and my GPS...sort of worked ...

Okay good thanks guys...just waiting for my sat-meter to get here..Its called "First Strike" from DMS Intl.

You had better make sure Tim (owner of DMSI) has all the Asian Satellites installed in it that we get here in Thailand, else it will be a tad useless. He has many updates on his website for the meter, but for the USA and South America, mind you they are made at his factory in China, so they might have the Chinese satellites installed.

You can pick up cheap and cheerful hand held satellite meters (with built-in TV) across the Kingdom from most satellite shops and from many makers, one of the better ones is called the "Idea - model ONE" and retails from 3-4,000 with all the Thai satellites installed.

But like all meters they need a dish to work with it.

I wouldn't bother with it unless you want the AFL.

No NRL either and we have been told after 3Q2011 no more AFL. But there will still be the V8's and soccer.

Roll on Fox with their tender for this channel, lets hope they bring back the sport if they beat the ABC in this process.

I wouldn't bother with it unless you want the AFL.

No NRL either and we have been told after 3Q2011 no more AFL. But there will still be the V8's and soccer.

Roll on Fox with their tender for this channel, lets hope they bring back the sport if they beat the ABC in this process.

Who wants to watch aus soccer. would be fantastic if Fox get hold of it. Can't see the ABC getting it the AUS govt got no money. Might even get the cricket.I suppose will have to pay for Fox but would be worth it.

No AFL grand Final?

Edited by sammycic

Who wants to watch aus soccer. would be fantastic if Fox get hold of it. Can't see the ABC getting it the AUS govt got no money. Might even get the cricket.I suppose will have to pay for Fox but would be worth it.

No AFL grand Final?

I would not hold your breath, as so much that has been promised by them over the years (in both Sydney, Melbourne and from Singapore) i.e. Use of their Intelsat 7/10 Australian Network service over our heads for us here in Thailand, has never come to fruition (unfulfilled promises / porkies, might be a better word)

As to what they will or will not show, drop them a note on their web site firsthand and see.

The ABC do have it (the tender to run Australia Network) now, right. So I think you answered your own question above.

Okay good thanks guys...just waiting for my sat-meter to get here..Its called "First Strike" from DMS Intl.

You had better make sure Tim (owner of DMSI) has all the Asian Satellites installed in it that we get here in Thailand, else it will be a tad useless. He has many updates on his website for the meter, but for the USA and South America, mind you they are made at his factory in China, so they might have the Chinese satellites installed.

You can pick up cheap and cheerful hand held satellite meters (with built-in TV) across the Kingdom from most satellite shops and from many makers, one of the better ones is called the "Idea - model ONE" and retails from 3-4,000 with all the Thai satellites installed.

But like all meters they need a dish to work with it.

oh dear..thanks or that.according to the website not a big deal to "install" .. additional satellites.we shall see....