Looking For A Gym And Good Eats In Ladprao

flotsam

Hello all,

I just moved into a house neat Ladprao MRT. I've never spent much time up here before but so far its been quite nice. Anyway I am looking for a gym/fitness center somewhere close to home. Nothing fancy: free weights, nautilus type equipment, treadmill. I don't need classes or a pool or yoga or anything. So far on line I havn't had much luck with finding anything in the area. I thought maybe one of the bigger condo's here might have a decent gym that "outsiders" can join for a fee.

I also thought since I was posting anyway I would pose the question always on my mind: where is good food? Anything from street vendors to fancy sit down places. If its good I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks in advance,

Flotsam

Carrefour has the usual number of restaurants inside. Have not tried for a few years but there was a very good Thai restaurant just down 100 meters or so on Soi 10 (or 8). Latphao road is just developing into a condo haven as previously was all shophouse type places and closed at night so not much in the way of food places.

Don't know of any gyms but have not looked. Believe there is one behind the Police Commando area on Chok Chai 4 on the cut through to District Office.

Carrefour has the usual number of restaurants inside. Have not tried for a few years but there was a very good Thai restaurant just down 100 meters or so on Soi 10 (or 8). Latphao road is just developing into a condo haven as previously was all shophouse type places and closed at night so not much in the way of food places.

Don't know of any gyms but have not looked. Believe there is one behind the Police Commando area on Chok Chai 4 on the cut through to District Office.

Hey Flotsam,

Have just sent a PM..hope it helps ;)

ozzie

We live off Ratchadapisek 32, and the market on the corner is open, usually, Wednesday-Sunday. It's attached to the Department of Export Promotion, and has a food court area at the north end. Just down the soi, on the north side, are several permanent outdoor restaurants. There is one selling jok, khao mun gai, and gao lao, which is excellent, and the ones on either side of it are very good as well, one selling Isaan food, and the other selling Thai food to order. There are several other shops in that area, and new ones come and go.

As for gyms: there is a California Wow at Major Ratchyothin, as well as Anatomic Gym on Ratchada, halfway between Soi 32 and Paholyothin, on the east side of Ratchada. I can say that California Wow is pretty pathetic, and I haven't tried Anatomic. The Palm Park Hometel, on the first soi parallel to Ratchada, off soi 32, has a gym which, unfortunately, doesn't open until 1 PM. It's about B2500/month, if I remember correctly, and is pretty small. No pool.

There are a few places on Chokchai 4.

Although some would disagree, a motorbike is, to me, indispensable if you live in this area. So many restaurants, shops are otherwise inaccessible, and you would never know they existed, if not for riding slowly around the sois.

Just remembered - there is a great pool and fitness center behind Tops Market on Wang Hin, a couple sois south of Tesco.

Hope some of this helps. Welcome to the neighborhood.

IMHO Central Lad Phrao has the best looking girls in BKK. Not really relevant to the question but thought it worth mentioning.

Currently closed for six months for makeover - this was the first shopping center in Thailand so it needs the attention.

Not sure of problem Andy has with Carrefour but we find BBQ Plaza and Hong Men Chinese restaurant to be of good quality. As for shopping it is the same as any other discount mart and there are normal Home Pro/Office supply store/Pharmacy available in the complex. Time will tell after BigC management takes over.

Think most of the places have been covered. I live on Soi 33, which is nice and quiet.

As one poster mentioned there is a beer garden on the opposite side of the road of Soi 33 by the footbridge - it's okay , but a bit overpriced for it's location.

There's a great Chicken Noodle stall just past Soi 35, which is always busy in the evenings - if you get there to late though it'll be out of food.

It's a good location as you have access to Major Ratchayotin, which has lot's of shops, restraunts, cinema and also a gym. There are a few bars opposite there as well, and the food and music can be okay.

There are also Tennis courts on Soi 33, and a driving range just of Wang Hin. Uptowards Central Lad Phrao there are also a number of places to eat, which have already been mentioned.