Telephone Tarifs

christoph

hi,

as i will travel to thailand in january and february i need to make daily phonecalls to germany via my mobile phone. does anyone know the cheapest option to choose, e.g. whether this is a pre-paid card or better a phone card to run in a public phone box?

thanks for advice - christoph

Hi Christoff,

Thanks for posting this question. I own the website Calls in Thailand. It is our job to find LEGAL ways of avoiding the Thai Telecom monopoly to provide you with the best quality and pricing for overseas calls.

If you are calling using any Thai telecom system you will be paying between 22 to 30 baht per minute, even using the Thai discounted services such as Efone or the PhoneNet card.

Many people may recommend using a non-licenced calling card such as the Cheap-Charlie calling card HOWEVER ...

There are only two marketed calling cards in Thailand which I am aware of. One operates illegally, with physical equipment in Thailand, The other (Cheap-Charlie) other stays within the law by placing its hardware on the Myanmar border. Either way, call quality is reliant on calling from a cellphone to another cellphone to connect to the internet to connect to a land-line ... and quality can only be as good as the worst conenction!

You already have a cellphone, I'm guessing you will be putting a cheap Thai simcard into it (which i recommend). As long as you have just 30 baht of credit on this account you can make unlimited calls to Germany using a system called 'callback'. The system works in that you are technically receving a call, rather than making one.

Callback works by using the cheap US telecom system to make a call from the USA to your phone, and from the USA to Germany and connecting the two lines together. You will pay just under 12 baht a minute with this service and the line is perfect telephone-to-telephone quality. There are also no PIN codes to memorise.

Of the 30 callback companies only UWT offers AT&T carriers for Thailand. We have recently completed a deal whereby I can issue you a pre-paid account as soon as you need it, or (recommended) if you have a credit card you can register online for free and only pay for completed calls at the end of the month.

Please take a look at my website http://www.calls.in.th - your best option is UWT callback on the homepage.

Over the coming 5 days we will be updating our website significantly as we are using high-speed internet.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes

Martin

http://www.calls.in.th

I used callsinthailand for a while. I still have almost $40 in unused credit with them for a cheap charlie card. The way the card worked changed. First there were no numbers available, then it became a cell phone number which I have NEVER been able to access. Senter several emails in the past few weeks to the site owner with no reply.

Have to admit I am very disappointed with the lack of service after the year of business I gave them...

Hi DThomasss,

We were given quite a shock with the cheap-charlie card and you were immediately updated about things. We were proud of the fact that once contacted by Cheap Charle US we managed to assist customers in making calls just 24 hours later, and, as far as we are aware all problems were resolved within a day. I am the site owner and I am 100% certain that we have replied to every email we have recieved. You do have my private contact details which were posted with all cheap-charlie updates including our phone number and you will also have noted that for the perhaps 20% of customers who did feel that the newer cheap-charlie service was not an improvement a full refund has been offered and that since 2 weeks ago an alternative service has been introduced offering pure telephone-to-teplephone service at a cheaper price.

I don't have any order records related to your username, and we have a well-organised email system which has no record of queries, refund requests or problems which have not been reponded to and resolved.

If your grievence is genuine then I urge you to please contact us, either by email or via PM if you are having troubles and I personally will get back to you. We have had no reported problems with connecting to the cheap-charlie service since about a month ago. We have had a few requests for acount upgrades in light of fluctuating call quality in some areas but all of these have been addressed efficiently.

I look forward to helping you, if that is what you require.