Thai Language Schools In Chiang Mai

foxontherun

First, the intrigue. I've been looking into the class schedules at a couple of Thai language schools, because I need to both learn the language and obtain an ED visa. I have two email addresses that I use for different things; we'll call them address X and address Y. I registered on this forum using address X. I recently wrote to both Walen and Pro Language, using address Y, to ask whether I could get a schedule of 4 classes per week all on one day, preferably in the evening. I have not used address Y for anything else Chiang Mai-related. Within a day of me sending my inquiry to those two schools, I received an email from a third Chiang Mai school, Talk Talk Language, at address Y, saying "Dear all concern, Talk Talk Language is delighted to informed you that we will opening the new class (Thai Lessons) in the evening for 4 lessons a week as the class can be flexible as you convenience." Hmmm. Are they affiliated with one of those other two language schools? Because the only way they could have obtained that email address and known what I was looking for was through one of them. As far as both of those other schools know, I'm still considering them, so I doubt they would hand over all of my information to a competitor. Does Walen or Pro Language have a mole in its midst, or a compromised email system? I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything--just curious as to how this could have come about.

Anyway, on to the questions. I know this topic has been done to death here, so I apologize, but I would like an update and some specific information. First, general recent impressions of the aforementioned schools? One older post claimed that a class at Pro Language involved a lot of Christian rhetoric, and that would be a huge deal-breaker for me. Second, do you know of any one year ED visa-eligible Thai language course I could take that would allow me to do my 4 classes per week all on one day? The websites for both Walen and Pro Language say that this is an option, but when I asked directly, Pro Language said that they only offer that in Bangkok, and Walen said that the once per week schedule isn't available at this time. I'll do two classes twice per week if I have to, but all four in one day would be better.

I know that the best thing would be to get to Chiang Mai and check out each school for myself before deciding on one, but I would really like to enroll and get my ED visa before entering the country, so that I won't have to leave again once I arrive. I'm think I'm just going to take a chance and go with the one that has the best feedback and offers the best schedule for me, so if you have anything enlightening to say about any of them, please help me out.

Many many- for sure the Thais get back handers all over the place to give leads to competitors... they get crap salaries so they make up for it in many other ways.

Walen supposedly the most professional, more affordable at AUA and a few other for a short course. Sounds like you need a long one for purely the ED visa- many options.

Cheers Jay

Yes, that makes sense. I suppose I can't really expect companies to have the same kinds of privacy policies as in the States. Just another adjustment to make.

Thank you to those who messaged me privately about language schools. In case anyone else is interested, I still haven't found an option for taking my required 4 hours per week of classes all on one day, so I'm assuming that it doesn't exist at the moment. I'll probably end up going with Walen, primarily because they seem to offer the schedule that would work best for me.

While I think it is easy to find a language school, your requirement for 4 hours a week makes it difficult for the school to issue the education visa. But I do think Walen has the best schedule to fit your study habits. Good luck.

That's actually not my requirement; it's what the schools say you're required to do, at minimum, to be eligible for an ED visa.

He wants the visa, not the education. One four-hour day per week is not a serious effort.

Walen, based on their advertising, would best fit his needs.

I'm not a "he," and you have insufficient information to make that assumption. I need the visa and I want the education. Does it occur to you that one could have reasons other than lack of motivation or dedication for being unable to take on a more intensive course of study? I'm as academically motivated as anyone you'll ever meet, and I assure you that there will be no lack of effort or success on my part, despite the fact that I can only commit to attending classes on a limited basis.

• 9 months later...

Hi, Hope your search is going well!

You raise some interesting points in your question. Firstly, I would like to recommend Pro Language as an excellent school for you. Please just go and have one of their free trail lessons to see first. I have been studying at Pro Language for over 2 years now, both to learn Thai Language and also for my ED visa.

I can not say how happy I am with the school. I have had no problems with my ED visas - all very smooth and no stress at the Immigration office!rolleyes.gif .

The teachers at Pro Language are all properly qualified to teach and also have years of teaching experience. Let me tell you that I tried some of the other well knows schools in Chiang Mai and I was shocked by the bad quality of the inexperienced teachers. Some schools just use pretty girls to attract students lol. Also I found that Pro Language had the best course material and books out of the other schools I tried.

As to the rest of your questions, I really don't thing Pro Language has a mole because I have never had any e mails form other schools, As concerning the christian part, I never have come across this. It would really annoy me too, as I am not into that at allpost-4641-1156693976.gif

The school is very flexible when it comes to scheduling the lessons. Just tell them what days and times suite you. Because they school now has a lot of students, at lots of different levels of Thai, it should be quite easy for them to find a class for you.

I understand your worried about getting the ED visa before coming to Chiang Mai, but you don't have to worry about that. I was first here on a O visa and it was very easy to change. But if you would like to do it your way, then I think you will not be disappointed with Pro Language. WPFflags.gif

Good luck

I go to Prolanguage and have roommates who go to both Pro Language and Walen. The guy who goes to Walen says that he def cannot recommend it and will change to a diff course next year. Those of us on pro language are happy with our course.

Walen doesnt give you any homework. They just read outta the same book over and over again. The only written work is tests from time to time. Hot teachers tho.

Pro Language has written homework and written work in class. Teachers seem good. Dont have that much more experience really.

Payap is obv much better than any other schools in CM, but also a lot more expensive.