Police Seek PAD Prosecution Over 2008 Disturbances

webfact

Police seek PAD prosecution over 2008 disturbances

By Kesinee Taengkhio

The Nation

Metropolitan Police yesterday sought the prosecution of 21 leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy for the blockade of Parliament House in 2008.

PAD leaders should also be indicted for inciting protesters to surround Government House from August 26-31, 2008 as well as for libelling public figures, police said in their 8,000-page investigation report submitted to the Office of the Attorney-General.

The suspects would be allowed to report to prosecutors by April 28.

Kayasit Pisawongprakan, director-general of the OAG's criminal-litigation division, has scheduled June 28 to announce whether the OAG would accept the cases for prosecution.

The key charges outlined in the report were unconstitutional public assembly to instigate disturbance, coercion and forced restriction to deprive people of the freedom of movement.

Among the leaders are Sondhi Limthongkul, Pibhop Dhongchai, Somkiat Pongpaiboon, Somsak Kosaisuk, SuriyasaI Katasila, Amorn Amornrattananon, Samran Rodphet, Sirichai Mai-ngam, Savit Kaewwan and Pichit Chaimongkol.

Others are Amnat Palami, Veera Somkwamkid, Kittichai Saisa-ard, Prayuth Veerakitti, Suchart Srisang, Somboon Thongburan, Suphapol Iammethawi, Anchalee Paireerak, Pichet Pattanachote, Maleerat Kaewka and Prapan Koonmee.

Sondhi, Somsak, Pibhop, Suriyasai, Somkiat and Chamlong Srimuang are also suspects for leading protesters around Government House.

Sondhi faces charges of libelling Bhum Jai Thai Party de-facto leader Newin Chidchob and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Only Somboon and Suchart turned themselves in to prosecutors for questioning yesterday.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said that since the country is gearing up for a snap election, rival groups should get off the streets and push for their partisan interests via the ballot box.

The red and yellow shirts should pause and ponder on the consequences of their street demonstrations instead of trying to triumph amid the country's ruins, he said.

"The red and yellow shirts should know it doesn't matter which side wins or loses, but the country must not be damaged," he said.

It was very difficult to convince the red and yellow shirts to stop protesting, he said.

Should the Democrats lose in the election, the opposition would be in power and then could act on their agenda, he said.

The red-shirt rally planned for tomorrow might spiral out of control, he said.

Authorities think that the red shirts might not end the rally in one day but would carry on protesting until March 19, when the no confidence votes will be cast, he said.

The rally organisers should not use the mobilisation model perfected by the communists to draw the crowds, he said.

Some ex-communists joined the red-shirt movement to set up leadership schools upcountry and recruit protesters, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-11

Metropolitan Police yesterday sought the prosecution of 21 leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy for the blockade of Parliament House in 2008.

Can we presume then that after a year and a half of being on the shelf that prosecution will be resumed for the others involved in the incident?

hundreds and hundreds injured...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJclibwcBHA&feature=related

with the result being...

OCTOBER 7 CRACKDOWN

Somchai, Chavalit and Patcharawat to face criminal charges

National anti-graft commission will file criminal charges against ex-Premier Somchai Wongsawat, ex-deputy PM Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, and Police Chief Police General Patcharawat Wongsuwan for their involvement in the October 7 crackdown on yellow shirted protesters.

Wicha Mahakun, a commissioner of National Anti-Corruption Committee (NCCC), said the commission recommended severe disciplinary action against Patcharawat.

Wicha said Somchai and Chavalit would be charged with malfeasance in violation of Article 157 of the Criminal Code.

Posted 2009-09-07 15:19:15

Edited by Buchholz

it is not on the shelf, it is clearly being dealt with, i seem to remember you saying the yellows are being dealt with for the airport takeover but it takes a long time, just as it takes a long time to deal with this issue,

but well done, in the first post you have managed to turn a thread about the PAD into a thread about the government at that time, tedious in the extreme. Every thread is derailed by your nonsense.

i wonder if the mods can change your log in name to Cyclops, it seems you only use one eye and it is used to ignore the obvious and just try to exert your propaganda in favour of anything non red.

it is not on the shelf, it is clearly being dealt with, i seem to remember you saying the yellows are being dealt with for the airport takeover but it takes a long time, just as it takes a long time to deal with this issue,

but well done, in the first post you have managed to turn a thread about the PAD into a thread about the government at that time, tedious in the extreme. Every thread is derailed by your nonsense.

i wonder if the mods can change your log in name to Cyclops, it seems you only use one eye and it is used to ignore the obvious and just try to exert your propaganda in favour of anything non red.

I am all to familiar with the notion that court cases can take a long time here, but in what way is it being dealt with? Do you have any updates since September 2009?

Do you not consider the cases related? They are, afterall, concerning the same incident.

Given that there are 16,897 threads, do you think you are hysterically exaggerating even a smidgen when you say "every thread"? Also, am I the only one guilty of your accusation or should I post the dozens of your own off-topic posts or the thousands made by others to exert their propaganda in favor of anything pro-Red?

Edited by Buchholz

I am all to familiar with the notion that court cases can take a long time here, but in what way is it being dealt with? Do you have any updates since September 2009?

Do you not consider the cases related? They are, afterall, concerning the same incident.

Given that there are 16,897 threads, do you think you are hysterically exaggerating even a smidgen when you say "every thread"? Also, am I the only one guilty of your accusation or should I post the dozens of your own off-topic posts or the thousands made by others to exert their propaganda in favor of anything pro-Red?

Most threads are started by the anti red mob, 3 or 4 of you hi jack the thread and derail it. If you go back and dont be selective you will see how many times a subject is turned into anti red propoganda. By the way can you link your photos to their direct online source and not some bucket account...some of us would like to view the story it came with.. unless they are your own personal photos, in which case I apologise

Most threads are started by the anti red mob, 3 or 4 of you hi jack the thread and derail it. If you go back and dont be selective you will see how many times a subject is turned into anti red propoganda. By the way can you link your photos to their direct online source and not some bucket account...some of us would like to view the story it came with.. unless they are your own personal photos, in which case I apologise

My ears got itchy, almost like someone was mentioning my name ;)

Just for the fun of it I would like someone could produce a complete list of ALL cases filed against red, yellow, black and blue, and the status of those cases. I'm not even asking about the righteousness of them, just a simply list. Must be close to a hundred by now. In Western countries that might take a decade or two to sort out.

Most threads, in fact nearly all, are started by Admin. I'll defer to them to respond to your claim they are the "anti-Red mob."

The link in this thread is to YouTube, which, unfortunately, is not personally owned by me.

If I had a nickel for every time a red on the board has interjected in a thread about the reds machiavellian exploits with "What about the PAD and the Airport?" I'd be almost as rich as Thaksin!

The fact is that cases against the PAD are moving along quite nicely as far as time frame goes. 84 (? number subject to correction) have been convicted for the raid on the TV station in 2008. (Worth noting that the case against the reds from 2007 is lagging far behind!)

I understand that the reds on the forum have some issues with how things are represented, but it is far harder to make a case against the violence of the PAD when compared to the violence of the reds. It is also (as pertaining to the article above) harder to make a criminal case of "inciting" when you talk about the charges against the PAD

The key charges outlined in the report were unconstitutional public assembly to instigate disturbance, coercion and forced restriction to deprive people of the freedom of movement.

and inciting armed insurrection and the razing of BKK by the UDD/Reds directly recorded from red stages across the land.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me much (what happens to the PAD leaders) as they knew what they were doing when they did it. I think they can beat many of the charges against them. The UDD leaders certainly won't be able to cry "double standards" (which started being used in regards to Thaksin's asset concealment case!_ when it is their turn in the dock. The evidence against many of them isn't subject to much in the way of denial, since even DTV (redshirt cable) showed the leaders calling for violence etc ...

If I had a nickel for every time a red on the board has interjected in a thread about the reds machiavellian exploits with "What about the PAD and the Airport?" I'd be almost as rich as Thaksin!

Aren't you the fellow that claimed it wasn't the PAD that closed down the airport but a panicky AOT official?

Is it really necessary to describe anyone on the forum as "Red" simply because a different viewpoint is expressed?

Do you know what Machiavellian means because your use of it doesn't make much sense? I suggest you ponder hard before coming back to me on this one since I studied Machiavelli at graduate level.

How's that reading list (or even one useful book on recent Thai politics) expected from you getting along? Don't worry , I know that you will never produce one.

Again personal comments ..... sad.

Yes the AOT official on the ground did shut the airport. That has nothing to do with the fact that the reds on the board bring it up everytime the reds are criticized.

Machiavellian - from The Prince --- "The ends justifies the means" which could include the intentional baiting of the government or army to use violence resulting in the loss of their own members to force social change. I don't understand why that needed to be explained.

Personal comments NOT responded to.

Again personal comments ..... sad.

Yes the AOT official on the ground did shut the airport. That has nothing to do with the fact that the reds on the board bring it up everytime the reds are criticized.

Machiavellian - from The Prince --- "The ends justifies the means" which could include the intentional baiting of the government or army to use violence resulting in the loss of their own members to force social change. I don't understand why that needed to be explained.

Personal comments NOT responded to.

So let me get this straight.You blame the AOT not PAD for closing down the airport and persist in describing anyone who disagrees a "Red."

I don't understand why it's too "personal" to name at least one book on recent Thai history/politics you have found illuminating.A cynic might begin to think you haven't read anything at all.

You repeat a schoolboy cliche on Machiavelli, end justifying the means, which actually is a distortion of his philosphy but even the example you give doesn't really work out.I would give you a potted briefing on Machiavelli but that would be off topic.

Hmmmm I have never labeled anyone that disagrees with me as red just for disagreeing with me nor did I ever say that someone that disagrees with me (and the BoD of AOT) about who closed the airport is red. Some are and some aren't. I have labeled reds as red. I don't tend to label people as many other things either.

My use of machiavellian works in context and with common usage and understanding. The use of schoolboy etc is just another attempt to attack the poster because to not attack another poster would be almost unheard of.

Your other personal remarks will be left alone .... as I would not want to get involved in any more the mudslinging that would surely follow.

Hmmmm I have never labeled anyone that disagrees with me as red just for disagreeing with me nor did I ever say that someone that disagrees with me (and the BoD of AOT) about who closed the airport is red. Some are and some aren't. I have labeled reds as red. I don't tend to label people as many other things either.

My use of machiavellian works in context and with common usage and understanding. The use of schoolboy etc is just another attempt to attack the poster because to not attack another poster would be almost unheard of.

Your other personal remarks will be left alone .... as I would not want to get involved in any more the mudslinging that would surely follow.

Glad to have your clarification.Still best not to label people as Reds who question extreme right wing views.

Give me one example of a recent book on Thai politics you have found useful.If you do,I solemnly promise I will not respond in any way and furthermore will never mention the subject again.

Is it really necessary to describe anyone on the forum as "Red" simply because a different viewpoint is expressed?

Not really, but it happens both ways. Dear member truethailand said "Most threads are started by the anti red mob," ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=4275089 ) :ermm:

It's surprising he would describe forum's Admin in such a manner.