Tell Me About Living In Cm As A 20 Something Year Old.

codysweet02

Im 29, lived here nearly 6 years, and I prefer Chiang Mai over any other place in Thailand. True, its not the craziest place for a party but it has a good selection of scenes and it doesn't take too long to get the hang of it. Depending where you go, places can range from the feeling of a small village type pub to a Unni neighbourhood club. Best yet, just come up here for a week and see how you like it! These are lots of old dudes around for sure but you'll meet younger people too, and find that a lot of the old guys are cool as well.

Oh ya, as far as the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I highly recommend Bryan at Golden Triangle IMA

Jiu Jitsu in Chiang Mai

Hey man, I appreciate the info. I plan to head up sometime in the next week or two and check it out. I plan to train at Golden Triangle when I am there, I believe that is the only place around but I have also heard good things about it.

Hey codysweet02,

Come on up, check it out!

More than half of the replies seem to be framed though the experience and outlook of the old guys on the forum (of which I am one).

I have a few friends, young dudes in their 20's 30's who have a great time on the party scene.

They go to places like Warm Up, Monkey Club and Fine Thanks and hook up all the time.

Out on the west end, past Santitham, nearer to CMU....lots of reasonable apartments for rent, student night markets, etc. It's a pretty vibrant student night life scene in my neighborhood near CMU (I don't participate, I just hear it every night through my windows).:)

BTW, my mother lives in Chico, CA on E. 8th St. next to Bidwell Park. My 26 yr old son is itching to come here, but I told him to stay in school a bit longer.

Because once he comes here...it's all over. He'll never go back....:lol:

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck to you!

Awesome info, thanks a ton!

I just left Chico after about 4 years there. I probably walked or drove past your moms house a dozen times.

Huh??

Im 27 and Chiang Mai is the best place in Thailand for someone our age!!!

Everyone is so much more normal!

As for the bjj I studied with the guy who had the gym but he moved back to Brazil. The new guy seems cool though.

The nightlife is great. Clubs like Fabric and all the Nimmanheimen area is way better than overcrowded Bkk areas.

Trust me OP youll love it

Made some really good close Thai friends and they introduce me to these places.

:clap2: Most informed comment on this thread. The trick is integration and speaking Thai. I live in Santitham and love the place, but it's fun because I have lot's of Tai friends to go out with; always in a group having fun and looking like we're part of the scenery. In that environment it's easy to enlarge your circle of friends, including finding people who'd like to go home with you :licklips:

The lone farang looking for a girl sticks out like a sore thumb. It's hilarious watching them in Mandagay, trying to dance inconspicuously alone whilst clutching their small Heineken whilst everyone is having fun with their friends in groups round tables with bottles of whiskey and frivolity.

But I don't recognise a couple of assertions made in this thread about Santitham. Firstly, I don't get the difference between "uni girls" and "bar girls", I thought the only difference between them is the time of day (or night) :rolleyes: Secondly, "Time Bar"! That place has some of the most revolting food I've ever eaten in Thailand :o

Personally I woudlnt go near Mandalay, its a dive.

As for uni girls and bar girls being the same, it depends on the girl.

There are many nice people here, just go with your gut instinct and don't ignore it because you don't know the culture.

The lone farang looking for a girl sticks out like a sore thumb. It's hilarious watching them in Mandagay, trying to dance inconspicuously alone whilst clutching their small Heineken whilst everyone is having fun with their friends in groups round tables with bottles of whiskey and frivolity.

Lol, don't worry, I won't be that guy. I am not planning on going to CM just to go out and pick up girls. I really want to get a place for 4 months and make some friends, take Thai language classes, train BJJ and get out and have a good time. Basically I am looking for that home away from home that I can feel comfortable in, have a social circle, and return to every so often or possibly even stay for an extended period of time.

Thanks for all of the info everyone, very much appreciated.

Im 29, lived here nearly 6 years, and I prefer Chiang Mai over any other place in Thailand. True, its not the craziest place for a party but it has a good selection of scenes and it doesn't take too long to get the hang of it. Depending where you go, places can range from the feeling of a small village type pub to a Unni neighbourhood club. Best yet, just come up here for a week and see how you like it! These are lots of old dudes around for sure but you'll meet younger people too, and find that a lot of the old guys are cool as well.

I agree, just spend a few time here and if he don't like it he can give a try to Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui or Bangkok. So many poeple love Paris, but I wouldn't live there. ;)

It may not be a consideration, but the weather here in CM for the next two months is going to keep getting hotter, more humid, and ultimately miserable... we're entering the time of year when those who enjoy the beach and are able to escape to it often do.

Having said that, the previous postings dish out plenty of leads (for good or ill) and Chiang Mai is at least a great stopover. Most of the younger folks I know give it a week and move on South, but there are clearly exceptions. I will leave it for others to correct, but I believe the school breaks have just begun... and am not sure how that affects the unis...

Edited by justmaybe

Many 20 somethings in CMai that i have grown up here with....as I was one of them now 30 something....... many opportunities if you learn the culture and language.

Sounds like after a couple of years a martial arts club would be a good move for you, if you keen enough. Typically you make as much as homeland yet Cost of Living far less. Anything else like teaching you get far less salary compared to homeland in CMai. CMai is not the best place to work, investment wise sucks due to crap rules against farang, naturally the nightlife is favoured for the attention Farangs get...especially fit and young being far moreso than homeland for obvious reasons.

Many guys I know stay near tourist areas only to hang with the hot Farang girls who travel around on their Gap year or whatever. If you not into Thais, as many young guys are not as they can be a pain in the backside. Mostly no fault of their own...

I know a couple of guys whom make some good money from their clubs in CMai. Not much last year with the social unrest but now things are OK for the most part. Many looking for good trainers and coaches- they will not give WP however......

Other offerrings apart from Mai Thai are always very welcome- I was to sponsor my brother to setup a Karate slash Mai Thai club here. Yet he wishes to finish his black belt before committing himself- as he believes he needs to be a black belt plus he training for the Olympics.

Anyway PM if wish and can show you a few areas if interest.

Cheers Jay

Lol, don't worry, I won't be that guy. I am not planning on going to CM just to go out and pick up girls. I really want to get a place for 4 months and make some friends, take Thai language classes, train BJJ and get out and have a good time. Basically I am looking for that home away from home that I can feel comfortable in, have a social circle, and return to every so often or possibly even stay for an extended period of time.

Im 27 and actually thinking about doing the same thing, muay thai and language classes. Also are you turning up on your own? This is the route Ill have take and have to admit it scares the £$%£ out of me! (made a previous post about it)

C

My husband and I are both 25. We're moving to Chiang Mai from Tahoe City (CA) in a month! How interesting to see someone from Chico checking it out...

Hope to run into you, there! We spent a bit of time a year ago in Chiang Mai and it suited us just fine. Seems cleaner than BKK and relaxed. Also, since you're from Chico and you're into sporty things, Chiang Mai might appeal to you do to the surrounding mountains. We're both outdoorsy people and we intend to take up some mountain biking and hiking in the surroundings.

If you like Chico--you will like CNX better than BKK. You might even like Chiang Rai the best. CNX is quite a bit bigger than Chico. If you are AA, that is a whole different can of worms. Maybe go to Ubon Ratchathani and tell them you're good at golf......

Edited by Thighlander

To the OP, I'll be moving to CM actually next month. Have a few mates from Australia already been living there for the last few years, although I have been visiting frequently for the last while as well.

Happy to get together and have a beer or two and always make new friends though. CM is a great place. I love Bangkok's clubs and there is just nothing like it really in CM, but it's alright and there is a lot more to do after you get tired of going out everynight and want to check out some things during the day. Much easier to get around.

Just wish CM was on the beach though.

And I'm 27 too. Don't listen to all these 'all girls at bars are hookers types'. Normal girls enjoy going out and having a drink too. Use your gut and you will be ok. Plenty of girls who work, or don't go to uni that aren't hookers as well.

Just because a thai girl can speak some english, also doesn't mean she's a hooker. Could also mean she works in the tourist areas, outside the P2P crap. Don't know why people forget that. :rolleyes:

Clearly you can tell people who have been burnt before or know someone who has.

Cheers.

And I'm 27 too. Don't listen to all these 'all girls at bars are hookers types'. Normal girls enjoy going out and having a drink too. Use your gut and you will be ok. Plenty of girls who work, or don't go to uni that aren't hookers as well.

Just because a thai girl can speak some english, also doesn't mean she's a hooker. Could also mean she works in the tourist areas, outside the P2P crap. Don't know why people forget that. :rolleyes:

But why worry, hookers are a lot of fun!

(and you know how much it will cost in advance)

But why worry, hookers are a lot of fun!

(and you know how much it will cost in advance)

You do?

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the great info and I actually got into CM this morning. I am staying at Spicythai hostel for now. Although I've only seen a small bit of CM, I really like what I have seen. Everything just seems so much nicer and cleaner than BKK so far. I am heading out to some Muay Thai fights tonight and then out to do some drinking.

Thanks again for all of the info!