Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

george

who's right, who's wrong game now?

Nuclear watchdog defends its decision

Japan's nuclear safety watchdog says it sees no reason to change the zone for which the government advised residents to stay indoors or evacuate voluntarily.

The Nuclear Safety Commission made the remark to reporters on Thursday, following reports by the IAEA that radiation levels twice as high as its criterion for evacuation were detected in soil at a village outside the zone.

Commission member Seiji Shiroya said evacuation criteria in Japan are decided according to how much radiation people would be exposed to, not radiation levels in the ground. He said the IAEA's findings should be used as references, but that the commission's decision on the zone is correct.

Shiroya said the commission studies various factors, including radiation levels in the air and amounts of airborne radioactive substances taken into the body through breathing and eating.

He said the IAEA probably measured radiation on a grass surface with available equipment, but that he believes the commission's figures are more accurate when considering the effect on the human body.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 19:37 +0900 (JST)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test to contain radioactive dust

Teams working on the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant are going to use a synthetic resin to try and prevent radioactive dust from becoming airborne or being washed into the sea.

The hydrogen explosions earlier this month at the Number One and Three reactors spread contaminated dust and debris over a wide area.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company will begin sprinkling synthetic resin in certain places from Thursday. The resin is water-soluble and it is hoped that it will contain the contaminated dust.

TEPCO will use 9000 liters of synthetic resin to produce a 60000 liter solution. It will be sprinkled around the Number four and six reactors using water trucks.

TEPCO will study whether the sprinkling prevents the dispersal of radioactive material. If successful, it will expand the scope of the sprinkling.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 07:57 +0900 (JST) http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/31_05.html

Experts Wrangle With Tokyo Government

How Safe Is Safe in Japan?

image-198065-panoV9free-lihc.jpgic_lupe.png

AP/ Yomiuri Shimbun

Officials from Fukushima prefecture collect soil to check for radioactive contamination.

Japanese nuclear watchdogs have now joined the chorus of international experts calling for the evacuation zone surrounding the stricken nuclear power plants in northeastern Japan to be expanded -- but the government is refusing to budge. Meanwhile the EU debates what sorts of food to ban.

... includes also reports of ....

Meanwhile, cabbages exported from Japan to Singapore were found to have nine times the international recommended safety level of radiation, and milk was found in the northwestern state of Washington in the United States that had "miniscule" levels.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,754270,00.html

It's amazing to me that even before this accident has played out, and long before any chance to study and understand it, TVA officials are already running articles like, "Fukushima: Why It Could never Happen Here." They talk proudly about how their backup designs and safety-oriented culture is so much better than in Japan; not realizing that just by making such statements they show themselves to be peas in the same pod.

They talk proudly about how the design of their backups could withstand even the 1000 year flood event on the Tennessee River, as if they didn't understand basic statistics (there was a great book in the 1950's entitled, "How to Lie With Statistics"). The fact is, there is nothing in statistics to say that a 1000-year flood event could not occur each year for three years running, nor that a 10,000 year flood event could not happen in any given year.

And for all the talk about nuclear plants in seismic zones, I remember learning in elementary school that the largest earthquake in the history of North America was centered somewhere in Missouri (now I will have to go look that up and make sure I am remembering correctly!).

I just don't get it; there doesn't seem to be any real engineering or scientific interest to actually learn something from this accident--i.e. what worked, what didn't, and why. Everyone (both sides) just starts spinning before the dust (radioactive as it is, unfortunately!) has had a chance to settle. But science thrives by asking questions and then trying to answer them. Not the other way around.

I sure hope for better news, tomorrow.

The problem is not just the technology itself, but the people running the reactors. Even if the technology was perfect and excellent safeguards are designed, the people running the reactor can still completely @##k things up. Some cultures just don't see maintenance or safety as issues (mentioning no names!) let alone contingency planning and lets face it, the entire face-saving issue is not something that is not really conducive to dealing effectively with an emergency.

There's probably only 2 countries on earth I'd trust to plan and run a nuclear reactor safely. Mine is not one of them, and neither is Thailand.

Asked whether this raised questions about security, Nishiyama said: "At both Daiichi and Daini, everything possible is being done on the security front. But there is the radioactivity, and there is some question as to whether every nook and cranny in the area was secure."

Nook & cranny = one of the main gates :rolleyes:

There's probably only 2 countries on earth I'd trust to plan and run a nuclear reactor safely. Mine is not one of them, and neither is Thailand.

Two countries, eh? (Not mine, either - Canada.) I honestly don’t think past performance is so relevant. Shit happens.

Name them so we can all look at their track records...

I saw a close up TV shot of one of the reactor buildings last night.

The one with the several meter wide hole in the side.

There was smoke or steam coming out the hole.

As they zoomed in, there appeared to be large flakes like snow wafting about.

What the heck would that be ???

sorry no link to actual footage.

Pete

Friday Morning Update: (Reuters) - Following are main developments after a massive earthquake and tsunami devastated northeast Japan and crippled a nuclear power station, raising the risk of an uncontrolled radiation leak.

* Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said the evacuation of residents near the country's stricken nuclear plant will be "long-term".

* Japan will take control of Tokyo Electric Power Co , the operator of the plant, in the face of mounting public concerns over the crisis and a huge potential compensation bill, a domestic newspaper reported on Friday.

* Prime Minister Naoto Kan said the country needed to debate its energy policy based on studies of the Fukushima plant disaster, as anger grows at the ongoing crisis.

* Radiation in water at underground tunnel near reactor 10,000 times above normal. Abnormal level of radioactive caesium found in beef from the area, Kyodo reports.

* UN watchdog suggests widening of the exclusion zone around Fukushima nuclear power station after radiation measured at a village 40 km from the facility exceeded a criterion for evacuation.

* The consistently high levels of radiation found in the sea outside the plant complex may mean that radiation is leaking out continuously, Japan's nuclear watchdog said early Thursday.

* Japan's government may need to spend over 10 trillion yen ($120 billion) in emergency budgets for disaster relief and reconstruction, the country's deputy finance minister, Mitsuru Sakurai, signalled on Thursday.

* Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said the evacuation of residents near the country's stricken nuclear plant will be "long-term".

* Japan will take control of Tokyo Electric Power Co , the operator of the plant, in the face of mounting public concerns over the crisis and a huge potential compensation bill, a domestic newspaper reported on Friday.

* Japan's government may need to spend over 10 trillion yen ($120 billion) in emergency budgets for disaster relief and reconstruction, the country's deputy finance minister, Mitsuru Sakurai, signalled on Thursday.

So... let me get this right: the quake and tsunami combined have caused an estimated $300 Billion in damages; and the Fukushima crisis alone is likely to cost half of that amount? And people are writing articles accusing the world of over-reacting to this crisis?

If the Japanese Government takes over TEPCO and the crisis, aside from putting the cost of the crisis onto the backs of Japanese taxpayers, does this mean that the ultimate cost of the crisis will be hidden and the nuclear industry as a whole will not have to address the potential costs in their future cost/benefit analysis? Already they do not address the real full cost of enriching fuel (which is mostly done by governments) nor the full cost of waste disposal (which remains completely unproven) that will likely also fall onto governments.

It is "selective capitalism" at its best: privatize the profits and nationalize the costs. What could be better (if you are one of the select few)?

So... let me get this right: the quake and tsunami combined have caused an estimated $300 Billion in damages; and the Fukushima crisis alone is likely to cost half of that amount? And people are writing articles accusing the world of over-reacting to this crisis?

If the Japanese Government takes over TEPCO and the crisis, aside from putting the cost of the crisis onto the backs of Japanese taxpayers, does this mean that the ultimate cost of the crisis will be hidden and the nuclear industry as a whole will not have to address the potential costs in their future cost/benefit analysis? Already they do not address the real full cost of enriching fuel (which is mostly done by governments) nor the full cost of waste disposal (which remains completely unproven) that will likely also fall onto governments.

It is "selective capitalism" at its best: privatize the profits and nationalize the costs. What could be better (if you are one of the select few)?

I think this means that TEPCO can not possibly pay the astronomical bill coming,

but also that no one believes TEPCO leadership enough to leave them in control.

Or that anger against TEPCO leadership is such that it is better to remove them sooner than later,

or both.

Yes to widening the exclusion zone, it is not hard to suspect that TEPCO execs have been trying to make the problems seem smaller than it is in some ways, and that public service is not their 100% priority.

Edited by animatic

I think this means that TEPCO can not possibly pay the astronomical bill coming,

but also that no one believes TEPCO leadership enough to leave them in control.

Or that anger against TEPCO leadership is such that it is better to remove them sooner than later,

or both.

Yes to widening the exclusion zone, it is not hard to suspect that TEPCO execs have been trying to make the problems seem smaller than it is in some ways, and that public service is not their 100% priority.

Good point... sadly. It's doubtful that public service is a high priority for most (if not all) large "public" corporations. But I think they (the Government) could take over the handling of the crisis and information dissemination without bailing TEPCO out of the financial responsibilities. With large amounts of public funds being used and infused, I fear it will be difficult to ultimately determine the real cost of the accident.

It is amazing to me that the cost of containment, decommissioning and mothballing the plant could approach 1/2 of the total property damage done by the quake and tsunami, combined. And I suspect that estimate doesn't even include compensation for all the people who lived within what will no doubt become a permanent exclusion or dead zone. The costs are staggering...

Edited by atsiii

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3179531.htm

DAVID MARK: Both experts agree capping the damaged reactors with concrete isn't an option. Rather they say the current efforts to keep pumping water into the damaged reactors will eventually bring the situation under control.

PROF. LAURENCE WILLIAMS: Well my view is that as there hasn't been any sort of major catastrophic release of radioactivity, I think if they can continue now to get the fresh water into the reactors and cool them, the decay heat is now sort of fairly stabilising so it will take some time before it disappears. But so far so good I think. But it will take some time to bring under control.

DAVID MARK: But as Dr John Price explains there's a longer term picture.

JOHN PRICE: The final thing is that the reactors will have to be closed and the fuel removed and that is 50 to 100 years away.

DAVID MARK: Does that essentially mean that this entire site will just have to be locked off to the outside world for that period of time?

JOHN PRICE: Basically yes. It means that the workers and the site will have to be intensely controlled for a very long period of time.

Edited by atsiii

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/01_17.html

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it has detected radioactive substances in underground water at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. TEPCO, operator of the plant, has been checking below-ground water on the advice of the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan.

The company says radioactive water was detected beneath the ground near the turbine buildings of five of the 6 reactors. The remaining reactor, No. 4, could not be checked because it was blocked by debris. TEPCO says radioactive substances dispersed into the atmosphere may have seeped into the soil through rain and sprayed water.

The company will further analyze underground water and release the result later on Friday.

Edited by atsiii

Seems like the worlds largest concrete pump is on it's way to Japan...

The pump was moved Wednesday from the construction site in Aiken County to a facility in Hanahan, S.C., for minor modifications, and will be trucked to Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, where it will be picked up by the world's largest cargo plane, the Russian-made Antonov 225, which will fly it to Tokyo.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2011-03-31/srs-concrete-pump-heading-japan-nuclear-site?v=1301580247

Edited by pedro01

The pump was moved Wednesday from the construction site in Aiken County to a facility in Hanahan, S.C., for minor modifications, and will be trucked to Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, where it will be picked up by the world's largest cargo plane, the Russian-made Antonov 225, which will fly it to Tokyo.

http://chronicle.aug...te?v=1301580247

Amazing! Thanks for that, Pedro. I've read in previous posts that you too have spent a lot of time in Japan. Have you read Alex Kerr's "Dogs and Deamons?"

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/01_19.html

US, Japan forces start massive search

The US military and Japan's Self-Defense Forces have launched a massive operation to find those still missing in the March 11th earthquake and tsunami. The joint operation started on Friday, 3 weeks after the disaster. More than 16,000 people remain missing. In the morning, helicopters of the Ground Self-Defense Force left their base in Sendai City to join the search mission.

Participating in the joint mission are 100 aircraft and 50 vessels from the Self-Defense Forces and about 20 aircraft and more than 10 vessels from the US military.

The search covers Pacific coastal areas in Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, as well as waters up to 20 kilometers from shore. But the operation excludes the area within a 30-kilomter radius of the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, which is releasing radioactive substances.

The troops participating in the search operation are focusing their efforts on areas that have not previously been well covered. Rugged coastlines and swamp-like areas created by the tsunami have hindered search activities. The operation is scheduled to continue for 3 days.

Edited by atsiii

10000 times of the allowed amount of radiation in the groundwater at the site.

Beef is contaminated.

Another big mistake in measuring by TEPCO.

Within the 30 km zone hundreds of bodies can't be recovered.

"Amakudari" is widely practiced. - Descendents from heaven" are people who worked previously in the govt and then chang(ed) to private enterprises landing right in top management positions. This opens the door for what? This provides a close network and relationship of government, controlling agencies and businesses. This is especially very strong in the case of the atomic insdustry in Japan.

We shouldn't be surprised by the tooth-less controlling/reporting over there.

Edited by elcent

http://chronicle.aug...te?v=1301580247

Amazing! Thanks for that, Pedro. I've read in previous posts that you too have spent a lot of time in Japan. Have you read Alex Kerr's "Dogs and Deamons?"

Nope. Is it worth reading?

You have to marvel at some of the reports. This pump should have been on the way since day 1. There's no contingency planning at all.

As for the US Army stepping in 3 weeks after the quake to look for survivors - I did mention things will only step up once the US is involved - but this is crazy. It's very sad.

"Amakudari" is widely practiced. - Descendents from heaven" are people who worked previously in the govt and then chang(ed) to private enterprises landing right in top management positions. This opens the door for what? This provides a close network and relationship of government, controlling agencies and businesses. This is especially very strong in the case of the atomic insdustry in Japan.

sounds like the revolving door in the USA ...

sounds like the revolving door in the USA ...

5555... Yes, as often is the case, I think we invented it. But the Japanese have truly refined it and made it their own!

You have to marvel at some of the reports. This pump should have been on the way since day 1. There's no contingency planning at all.

As for the US Army stepping in 3 weeks after the quake to look for survivors - I did mention things will only step up once the US is involved - but this is crazy. It's very sad.

To be honest, I've not read it yet. But I have read and loved Alex's "Japan Lost" and "Bangkok Found." I intend to read "Dogs and Demons" as soon as I can. If you search this topic, you will find another poster that quoted some very salient passages from Alex's "Dogs and Demons." I suspect we will both find it a great read. He now lives pretty much full time in BKK; Sukumvit Soi 16.

Yes... very, very sad. It was not that long ago that I was enjoying the beauty and peace of an onsen outside Aomori.

Edited by atsiii

Program errors force TEPCO to review all data

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it will review all data on radiation leaked from the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, citing errors in a computer program.

The utility says it found errors in the program used to analyze radioactive elements and their levels, after some experts noted that radiation levels of leaked water inside the plant were too high.

The company and the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency say previously released data may have shown the levels of tellurium-129 and molybdenum-99 to be higher than they really were.

But they say that levels of iodine-131, which has a significant impact on humans and the environment, remain unchanged.

Tokyo Electric releases data on radioactivity inside the plant compound and in nearby seawater and soil.

The radioactive substances are believed to be coming from damaged nuclear fuel rods.

The data is crucial for identifying the source of radioactive leaks and assessing their impact on the environment.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency has told the company to find out why the errors occurred and to take steps to prevent a recurrence.

Friday, April 01, 2011 15:39 +0900 (JST)

Excuses Excuses

what else? --- Plantant lies! Half of the half-truth! ...

Oops, Pedro, I meant to give you you this link to Alex's book on "behind the scenes of Japanese industry" in my previous reply.

http://alex-kerr.com/html/dogs___demons__english_.html

Foreign exodus from Japan after disaster

NHK has learned that at least 20,000 foreign nationals have left Japan since the massive earthquake and the start of radiation leaks from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

NHK conducted a survey this week on the disaster's impact on diplomatic missions in Japan. Those of 46 countries and territories responded.

The survey shows that foreigners who've left Japan include 9,000 Chinese, over 2,000 Australians and 2,000 French. The United States evacuated more than 7,400 members of families of military officers stationed in Japan.

The survey also shows that 15 countries, including the US and Britain, have distributed iodine tablets for preventing thyroid cancer to their nationals living in Japan. Belgium and Taiwan are also preparing to hand out the medicine.

Meanwhile, Japan's government is telling the public that it's not necessary to take iodine tablets, due to low levels of radiation.

Friday, April 01, 2011 15:46 +0900 (JST)http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/01_25.html

The bankers were the first to flee right from day ONE.

TEPCO warned for not securing enough dosimeters for workers

Friday 01st April, 03:46 PM JST

TOKYO —

The government’s nuclear regulatory agency said Friday it had issued another warning to Tokyo Electric Power Co over the management of workers’ radiation exposure at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, after it was found that there were not enough dosimeters to cover all of the workers.

Some workers were sharing dosimeters while doing the same job because many of the devices were destroyed in the March 11 quake and tsunami, a situation that was not ‘‘desirable from the viewpoint of ensuring workers’ safety,’’ said Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the agency.

But TEPCO had been able to secure a total of 420 dosimeters by Thursday, sufficient for each of the workers to wear a device when working at the radiation-leaking site.

TEPCO officials said the number of dosimeters available had declined from an initial 5,000 to 320 after the tsunami damaged devices. It had been managing the workers’ radiation exposure by ordering the leader of each work team to wear a dosimeter, but some workers had expressed concern about the situation.

http://japantoday.com/category/technology/view/tokyo-electric-warned-for-not-securing-enough-dosimeters-for-workers

That is unconscionable. Sending in some workers without individual meters to measure radiation.

TheWalkingMan

Germany sends pumps designed for fighting catstrophies. The first picture shows a design that was created for Chernobyl, covered with lead. The arms of the pumps reach out over 60 m.

Wow... talk about a niche market!

Germany sends pumps designed for fighting catstrophies. The first picture shows a design that was created for Chernobyl, covered with lead. The arms of the pumps reach out over 60 m.

Wow... talk about a niche market!

The one reported earlier comes also from that company. It will be withdrawn from the US and used in Japan.