Farang Work Permit - Thai Staff Ratio

Hi guys - I have registered a 4 Million Baht Company, 2 Farang work permits.

There seem to be conflicting opinions about how many Thai staff we should have....can anyone offer any solid knowledge?

Some say 4 Thai staff per work permit, others say that because its a 4 Million Baht company, we don't need that many :o

cheers

Lob

Hi guys - I have registered a 4 Million Baht Company, 2 Farang work permits.

There seem to be conflicting opinions about how many Thai staff we should have....can anyone offer any solid knowledge?

Some say 4 Thai staff per work permit, others say that because its a 4 Million Baht company, we don't need that many  :o

cheers

Lob

My company (well the one I work for anyway) is under the impression that we needed both.

My advice it to hire 4 part time cleaners.

Presently, in Bangkok, a company with 4,000,000 baht registered capitalization can sponsor two work permits. These work permits can be obtained as soon as the company has registered for VAT. You do not need any Thai employees (the question of how many employees you have is not even asked), and you do not even need to have opened a bank account.

These work permits will only be valid until the expiration date of the entry permit in your passport. As that expiration date approaches, the only way to keep the work permit is to exit Thailand, and reenter with a fresh 90 day entry permit - before the expiration date of the work permit - and then revalidate the work permit for another 90 days.

The four Thai employees per foreigner come into the picture when you seek to obtain a long-term entry permit extension - which allows you to stay in Thailand longer than 90 days at a time. To qualify for such an extension, you must be able to document 2,000,000 baht paid-in capital, and four Thai employees, per EACH long-term entry permit that you request.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

The four Thai employees per foreigner come into the picture when you seek to obtain a long-term entry permit extension - which allows you to stay in Thailand longer than 90 days at a time.  To qualify for such an extension, you must be able to document 2,000,000 baht paid-in capital, and four Thai employees, per EACH long-term entry permit that you request.

Any idea what the minimum requirements are for a farang with permanent residence who intends to set up a company and obtain a work permit for himself?

To sponsor a work permit for a foreigner who is not married to a Thai, a company must have registered capital of 2,000,000 baht, and also must be registered for VAT. If you have PR status, you can get a 12 month work permit right from the get-go.

If you do have a Thai spouse, change the 2,000,000 baht above to 1,000,000 baht.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

What does the term registered capital/paid in capital mean in money terms?

I take it this is nothing to do with the price or money you might pay for an established business.

I'm back in Thailand shortly and will be looking to buy a business probably a restaurant,may well be in Bangkok to get the turnover I'll be looking for.