Bad Day At Kad Suan Kaew Or Is It Always A Dump?

WtFugarwe

My first time visit to Kad Suan Kaew. Ground floor toilet had 3 squat toilets, one out of order. No hose, no bucket, tissue vending machine out of order. Headed to 2nd floor, 3 squat toilets, two out of order, no water, no hose, fortunately, tissue vending machine works.<BR><BR>Needed to buy reading glasses. Table in the mall had dozens of pairs in the glass case. I asked the woman to look at a pair-- while she was working the booth, she did not have the key to the case selling her only product.<BR><BR>Next went to Watsons-- I like Watsons, and have always been well served at OTHER Watsons. I asked if they had reading glasses-- I was the only customer in the store--one of the three clerks in conversation nodded and waved her hand in a general direction of a quadrant of the store. I walked up and down the aisles, unaided, and could not find. The three watched me and no one came to help.<BR><BR>I gave up and went to the underground car park. My moto was chained up by security. I had parked under a sign in Thai language-no English and no universal symbol--that said No Parking. Guard told me I had to pay 20 baht fine to get unchained.<BR><BR>Is this an isolated experience--I've only lived here 3 months--or is it always like this at Kad Suan Kaew? Or should I have read my horoscope more closely?

Kad Suan Kaew has seen better days, but it still has a broad selection of stores and is conveniently located. At least you didn't hit your head on one of the low ceilings near the theater!

The trick is to get to know the mall. It's good exercise to walk around, poke around the stores, and file away info into your brain for future purchases. That is, if you're planning to remain in Chiang Mai for a while. For example, the best toilets in the place are the ones in Central Dept store, on the second floor near the entrance into the auto parts/men's underwear section. There is also an elevator on the other side of the department store that stops at every floor, unlike the main elevator for the mall which stops only at the first floor and 4th floor (movie theater floor) and goes on to serve the upper floors, which aren't the floors with stores.

I've never been impressed with the Watson's at KSK -- the Boots and the drugstore next to Boots are better. Some people like the pharmacies in the basement, too. There has to be at least a dozen places in KSK where you could buy reading glasses!

Don't give up on the place, yet. Oh, also, if you plan to remain in Thailand it's a good idea to learn enough basic Thai to be able to read "no parking" signs. The universal symbol system for traffic signs isn't routinely used here, especially by businesses.

Edited by NancyL

Kad Suan Kaew is OK if you are passing or happen to live up Huay Kaew, but I wouldn't make a special trip there. It was better when the Vista cinema was opposite and they showed a wide range of movies. Now they seem to vary from only Thai, sometimes English and Japanese seems to be in vogue this week. It was a place where you could wander around and guarantee that you could catch a movie, then wander around some more. I can see why though - last week I went to see Michael Douglas in Solitary Man and there were only 3 customers. There are a few shops that are OK - DQ is always good for cheap ice cream, Sizzlers salad bar is alright if you get there before it's been picked over and Nancy is right about the best toilets being in Central, but I don't think they even provide tissue, I can't remember....I know the soap never works. Airport Plaza is far superior IMO

Like others have said its seen better days, but all in all its not so bad. Just need to know your way around.

Bathrooms:

The best bathrooms are in the Central Dept. Impeccably clean and many facilities.

Parking:

You found the best spot!!! 20 Baht to make sure your moto will be there when you're leaving. You actually got a guard to watch over it for 15baht.

Service in Thailand is top notch if you're Thai or speak Thai, otherwise it can be a crap shoot. I think that many of the workers just don't feel comfortable speaking english or playing charades and would rather not try.

It is rather comical that they sent you searching down aisles looking for glasses of all things.....

Edited by CMSteve

Like others have said its seen better days, but all in all its not so bad. Just need to know your way around.

Bathrooms:

The best bathrooms are in the Central Dept. Impeccably clean and many facilities.

Parking:

You found the best spot!!! 20 Baht to make sure your moto will be there when you're leaving. You actually got a guard to watch over it for 15baht.

Service in Thailand is top notch if you're Thai or speak Thai, otherwise it can be a crap shoot. I think that many of the workers just don't feel comfortable speaking english or playing charades and would rather not try.

It is rather comical that they sent you searching down aisles looking for glasses of all things.....

I would agree with most of this! Watsons at KSK sucks even if you DO speak Thai fairly well :)

The bathrooms from the carparks ARE nasty. The ones inside are decent. I learned ages ago to always carry tissue :)

Bike parking is obvious ... getting nabbed for parking where you shouldn't isn't really a valid issue imho.

Kad Suan Kaew is OK if you are passing or happen to live up Huay Kaew, but I wouldn't make a special trip there. It was better when the Vista cinema was opposite and they showed a wide range of movies. Now they seem to vary from only Thai, sometimes English and Japanese seems to be in vogue this week. It was a place where you could wander around and guarantee that you could catch a movie, then wander around some more. I can see why though - last week I went to see Michael Douglas in Solitary Man and there were only 3 customers. There are a few shops that are OK - DQ is always good for cheap ice cream, Sizzlers salad bar is alright if you get there before it's been picked over and Nancy is right about the best toilets being in Central, but I don't think they even provide tissue, I can't remember....I know the soap never works. Airport Plaza is far superior IMO

No kidding, I live (5 weeks) near that place and I get lost everytime.

I have driven across the US 7 times and missed one turn total and yet I get so lost in there...after 5 trips I try and get a visual on tops or use the gps on my iphone;)

ok this was meant for the guy that needs a shave after a vist because he gets lost....so I seem to be a bit lost here on who to reply to

Edited by JRA

Bathrooms:

Parking:

I would agree with most of this! Watsons at KSK sucks even if you DO speak Thai fairly well :)

The bathrooms from the carparks ARE nasty. The ones inside are decent. I learned ages ago to always carry tissue :)

Bike parking is obvious ... getting nabbed for parking where you shouldn't isn't really a valid issue imho.

i was thinking the same - bike parking is so obvious there is no excuse - I don't mind KSK but prefer airport plaza

Bathrooms:

Parking:

you pay 20 bht to park your car there a huge car part and its only 10 bht and no safety problems at all

infact i dont think i know anyone thats ever had a car stolen here in the 7 years iv been here

KSK is a dump. Surely only people who live around it would bother to shop there. Can't imagine anyone getting up and saying to the Mrs ' Shall we have a day out shopping at KSK dear ?'

As for Boots; haven't shopped with them for 20 years. They always were and always will be the most expensive no matter which country the store is in.

One of my Son's is a Manager for Super Drug in England, which is owned by Watsons. They are very hard on staff management World wide and if one or two complaints about KSK branch should be emailed to HQ in Hong Kong the staff would receive a massive kick in the anus and the Manager would probably be looking for another job.

We lived near KSK when we first arrived, so I got to know the location of all the toilets while wandering around the place totally lost. For example, did you know that there's a food court up on the third floor, in the back, near IT City? A bowling alley. A kid's play area. I always discover something new when I go there. It just seems to have more character than Central Airport Plaza, abeit in a seedy way. Now we live on the other side of town and it's about the same distance to go to Central Airport Plaza vs. KSK. I must admit I go to KSK much more often, although I rarely make a special trip just to go. It seems to be close to my friends, favorite restaurants and Thai language lessons. When I go to Central Airport Plaza, it is a special trip. About the only other reason I go out that way is to visit Immigration every 90 days.

We could do an entire thread about the little-known features of KSK!

We lived near KSK when we first arrived, so I got to know the location of all the toilets while wandering around the place totally lost. For example, did you know that there's a food court up on the third floor, in the back, near IT City? A bowling alley. A kid's play area. I always discover something new when I go there. It just seems to have more character than Central Airport Plaza, abeit in a seedy way. Now we live on the other side of town and it's about the same distance to go to Central Airport Plaza vs. KSK. I must admit I go to KSK much more often, although I rarely make a special trip just to go. It seems to be close to my friends, favorite restaurants and Thai language lessons. When I go to Central Airport Plaza, it is a special trip. About the only other reason I go out that way is to visit Immigration every 90 days.

We could do an entire thread about the little-known features of KSK!

haha yeh I love KSK for it's character. It's got to be one of the more fun places to get lost in,wander around aimlessly and see what you can find. There's even Themed Karaoke rooms up on the 4th floor that you can drink beers and sing away until 2am. The place is great :thumbsup:

haha yeh I love KSK for it's character. It's got to be one of the more fun places to get lost in,wander around aimlessly and see what you can find. There's even Themed Karaoke rooms up on the 4th floor that you can drink beers and sing away until 2am. The place is great :thumbsup:

yep... also hotel, bowling alley and cinema hallways are quite interesting and offer insight into Thai subculture

Maipenrai means "never mind" there is no expression in Thai for "who cares" as it is extremely offensive.

Any way I think you would have much better luck at Airport Plaza, the mall is much cleaner and I have always found the people working in the shops to be helpful.

As for Boots; haven't shopped with them for 20 years. They always were and always will be the most expensive no matter which country the store is in.

How would you know if you haven't shopped there for 20 years? :blink: Actually, some items are more expensive, but then again, they're often cheaper too. The one in KSK, for instance, has similarly priced vitamins/minerals as all the others, while the Farma one next door is 10-20% more expensive for some items. Watsons is alright when they stay out of your face.

I agree, though, the whole place is a dump and needs a total revamp. In fact, I feel like a gypo just walking through there, and the food court near IT City belongs on the street!

I agree, though, the whole place is a dump and needs a total revamp.

I have always preferred KSK to Airport Plaza, but I had to walk through the whole place the other day and was shocked at how it had deteriorated since I was there last. On top of that, they have turned down the air-con to the tepid point and that is always a sign of a business that is on its way out. :(

I agree, though, the whole place is a dump and needs a total revamp.

I have always preferred KSK to Airport Plaza, but I had to walk through the whole place the other day and was shocked at how it had deteriorated since I was there last. On top of that, they have turned down the air-con to the tepid point and that is always a sign of a business that is on its way out. :(

The building is a dump ,owner has been trying to sell for too much $, it is only worth the land it sits on .

yep... also hotel, bowling alley and cinema hallways are quite interesting and offer insight into Thai subculture

You forgot all the eye candy roaming around. :)

You don't need to be in KSK to see plenty of eye candy. If you want to gawk at the talent go somewhere with a bit of class !

You don't need to be in KSK to see plenty of eye candy. If you want to gawk at the talent go somewhere with a bit of class !

For some, stalking em round KSK is quite classy compared with hanging outside the school gates :o

Edited by Paagai