Best Bank For Farang In Kanchanaburi

Hi, the wife(Thai) and I will be moving to Kanchanaburi sometime next year.

Before that we will be visting the inlaws during November/December.

I would like to open a bank account there during our visit in Nov/Dec so I have an account ready to transfer funds when we move out permanantly next year.

Can anyone recommend a bank in Kanchanaburi, Farang friendly, willing to open an account on a tourist visa in readiness.

Thanks, Andy.

As is often the case in thiese situations... The smallest unlikliest-----

The branch of the national bank under the River Kwai hotel on Sanjuto Road... For various reasons which I won´t go into, they proved to me to be outstanding... for any nation (And I´ve lived in over 20 differant countries with azt least as many banks..).

I really don't know why people think they have to have a local bank.

find a bank back home that is reasonable on fees. Money market accounts with debit cards, or at least the one I have cost $1 transaction fees. In truth I don't pay fees anymore even on wire transfers because of balance I maintain but even before it was cheap.

Thai banks will only give most foreigners 1% with a few exceptions.

you can walk in the bank in Thailand withdrawl your money with debit card and deposit in thai bank if you want. You have ATM that will allow up to 40K baht a day or go inside and get 5 mil baht..... Just set your debit card up properly before you go and you can bank by internet also.

Good Luck either way.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate your advice.

Khun, what visa are you in Thailand on? I will be here on support of a Thai wife so will have to show 400K per year. Just assuming that a Thai account would be neccessary to show this and for transferring the cash for land, house, pick-up etc.

Are you saying cashpoint slips are ok?

Thanks again, Andy.

Sorry, Didn't know you had a reason to want an account such as visa. Buying a house you can go in with your debit card and get whatever you need.

If you have a monthly income in your home country I would have keep it going to a bank there and only keep a few months cash or what you need for your visa

in Thailand. I have been able to walk into a thai bank and withdrawl large amounts Mil baht or more with my debit card. Most cards protect you from fraud if someone is forging your name to purchase things. The vendor loses in most cases

as getting passport made to match a credit card does not happen fast, the card should be canceled by this time if lost. ATM requires password and most accounts you can check quite easily on the internet to insure someone did not make a copy.

I don't stay in one country and travel alot when not working. I gave up the ball and chain and all of her relatives long ago. It would be wiae as a foreigner to buy your house in your name using a company. If you have a lease it is hard to go around angry family members and hard to sell a lease. Never be worth more dead that alive in a country where your average annual income is worth 10 years of pay for them. the old story love yopu to death is most appealing to other than your wife if you are not handing out the cash to extended family. With you out of the way easier for them to weasle into it. Good Luck

Edited by Khun ?