Internet ‘Mr. Angry’ Takes On Thailand’s Jet Ski Scammers

Rimmer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, I never stop for them. However, the cops at the alcohol checkpoints have always been great. I've always tested negative and been sent on my way. But any other time, I'll never stop for the police.

Funny thing, as my wife got scammed by police in BKK today - just the usual 500 baht for something that was very clearly not a traffic offense - I was thinking how to counter that, and the only thing that could actually work is a public opinion campaign.

Every scamming officer gets filmed. Every "offense" gets disputed in the courts. How long would the traffic police corruption last? Not long. But some people would get intimidated/beat up along the way, and the person starting this would basically have a target painted on their chest.

ps: yes I told her to not stop, but she wouldn't listen - growing up here can do this to you I guess. I never stop for them anymore. If it's a scam, they won't come after you because for one they can hardly start a police action for nothing ("didn't pay me 500 baht for a traffic violation I just invented"); and secondly, in the time it takes to go after you they could scam 5 other people instead.

THe more tourists become aware - the less likely they are to hire jetskis - if the pickings get thin the MAFIA will look for an easier way to make money...... it will dwindle - but it needs a lot of publicity - you can't rely on theThais to do thius, so you have to get onto the tourist sites on the net, the newspapaers in US, Russia, Korea etc - all the countries that send tourists here.

I don't know about a total ban on jetskis but a reduction would be nice.

It is a transport option.

Maybe the baht bus/taxi meter no meter mafia would like to take over ownership of the jetski operation?

It would be hard to do worse than the current setup.

Quite an easy way to end Phuket corruption.

Tourists pay the governor more than the criminal scum.

If people flying into Phuket were to pay a special 1000b per head tax to ensure a crime and extortion free holiday, made payable straight to the governor's office. I'm sure it would be cleaned up in no time.

Of that 1000b a certain % point go to various criminals. The police chief, tuk-tuk bosses, JJ.

Let's be proactive people.

I am sure many realize that the Mayor has been aware of this for longer then anyone of us.

Jet Ski scam is not a novelty but a long, well established business running for many many years, just as police corruption and extortion.

If i know about it, every single posters knows about it, som tam lady knows about, i really do not see how HE did not know about it.

To make matters worse it happens right infront of police station, same place which hosts working girls, ladyboys and drug dealers who actually follow people around offering drugs.

Now it has been recorded and become clear, so he has to respond and most likely will ask them to stop for a month or so, if we lucky possibly for the time of low season and then everything will return back to how it was-scams scams and more scams.

Just like anything and everything else in the land of smiles.

Hat off to the brave man to get the attention, however i am afraid it would not be enough. Perhaps international pressure is the only way to put a stop to it, but thats just a dream.

Edited by kuffki

Quite an easy way to end Phuket corruption.

Tourists pay the governor more than the criminal scum.

If people flying into Phuket were to pay a special 1000b per head tax to ensure a crime and extortion free holiday, made payable straight to the governor's office. I'm sure it would be cleaned up in no time.

Of that 1000b a certain % point go to various criminals. The police chief, tuk-tuk bosses, JJ.

Let's be proactive people.

LOL, great idea but i am afraid he/she will take money from both sides and do nothing.

I wouldnt fancy being in Mr Bulls shoes if the jet ski mafia get hold of his address.

so sad but very true

On the contrary, i think he is untouchable for the moment. If anything was to happen to him it would really bring the attention of international community.

Thats not to say that after it all blows over and forgotten he is not to start having some kind of trouble

I wouldnt fancy being in Mr Bulls shoes if the jet ski mafia get hold of his address.

so sad but very true

On the contrary, i think he is untouchable for the moment. If anything was to happen to him it would really bring the attention of international community.

Thats not to say that after it all blows over and forgotten he is not to start having some kind of trouble

Very true! He is after all member of thai visa under name of scubabuddha. Hat off to him.

so sad but very true

Very true! He is after all member of thai visa under name of scubabuddha. Hat off to him.

He must be a good person now he is offering to get more farangs involved in cleaning all the trash off the beach .

Well done Talen

http://thailandlandofsmiles.com/2011/03/15/cleaning-up-pattaya-beach/

Edited by saintofsilence

so sad but very true

I'm sure that will make him feel better when a motorbike with a gun toting pillion passenger pulls alongside him. "I'm done for, but at least the international community will pay attention". The international community couldn't care less.

so sad but very true

I'm sure that will make him feel better when a motorbike with a gun toting pillion passenger pulls alongside him. "I'm done for, but at least the international community will pay attention". The international community couldn't care less.

Do you know what he looks like? I certainly do not. So how would the motorbike rider who usually has less brain then a primate know what he looks like?

Also the hit would have to be ordered and considering public attention this has got, i really doubt Mayor or anyone close or involved wold authorize such a hit as it would implicate them(well right now, what happens later is another story)

Perhaps some obliging visitors might erect some signs along the beach warning people of jetski scammers?

I doubt if they can read English or any other languages very well - so they might last for a few days before they realise what they are saying?

- "Polite Notice" - etc etc

Edited by Deeral

Quite honestly- I wish we would do without posts like this.

" I would not fancy....."

"treading in dark....

Well,there's many thing's I could say about words such as these. They do hold some truth I suppose, but they are the words of people who dare not do anything, people who in general complain, but leave it to others to take action and sometimes the word's of coward's ( a little harsh perhaps- I am seeking a better word)

Often they resent people who take action as it may may make them question their own own self.

Remember this, everything the jet ski mafia can do to others can be done to them .

They know this and I have seen this in action and a so called " mafia man" humbled .

All the ' tough guys" threats and bravado from this oaf went out the window when polite a English gent read this thug the riot act. Once the oaf saw who also has access to address and information ( and lets be honest, the local mafia really are " thick" as the english say) and who would be charged with knocking on those door's he backed off.

Once they know this,regradless of who they are and where they are from they lose the power that others give them.

What is the true God here? There are no racial line's to access this power its called . And it is accessible to all.

I support this brave act, wish other would too, because it's act's like this that change place's for the better.

I guess you think these posters are just saying this and not really meaning it. Because what they are saying can be the outcome here. Dont you know this is Thailand and there is no respect for life, they will kill you over something like this. I say the best way to stop the scams is dont use the service. Going after them can very much be life issue. Too many people have been killed in Thailand over money.

My personal experience with the jet ski's.

Few years ago, along with a mate of mine we rented 2 of them and were racing each other like mad.

Funny enough we did have a crash( of course the fault of my mate) and his Jet had a scratch but nothing was broken.

We were happy to cover the damage and having lived in Thailand for a while, we were well aware that to fox this would cost around 2000 baht(farang price)

As our time was up, they demanded 10 000 baht. We told them it is not going to happen and all we will pay 2000 baht.

First they tried to threaten us, but that did not work, so they called the police. No surprise cop told us we had to pay 10 000 baht.

Considering that we did not have to catch a flight, we nicely advised the cop to arrest us as we were not going to pay and the court can decide how much should be paid.

After thinking for a few seconds and a little chat with the "wanna be mafia" he suggested to avoid arrest we should pay 8000.

We insisted on being arrested and let the judge decide on the amount or 2000 is all we were going to pay.

By that time, cop was ready to go away, but the "wanna be mafia" insisted on arresting us.

So off we went to police station. Another cop came out and he appeared to be the "top dog" and after speaking to the other cop and the "wanna be mafia" told us that if we do not pay we will be put in jail.

We happily advised him that we were happy to go to jail and await trial and let the judge decide.

Cut the story shot, the top cop accepted our offer of 2000 baht and was happy to end the matter.Since he was so "helpful" we decided to reward him with a 1000 baht note, which to our surprise turned him into a really nice guy who then told the "wanna mafia" to go away and not to come back(of course if was an act, but it sure felt good)

So i think , if people who do get scammed refuse to pay and stand their ground, there is nothing cops or anyone can really do. Yes they can arrest you but the whole procedure is a huge headache and they(police do not benefit) not only that judge will never award the crazy amount, so in the end they lose time and money.

Edited by kuffki

Quite honestly- I wish we would do without posts like this.

" I would not fancy....."

"treading in dark....

Well,there's many thing's I could say about words such as these. They do hold some truth I suppose, but they are the words of people who dare not do anything, people who in general complain, but leave it to others to take action and sometimes the word's of coward's ( a little harsh perhaps- I am seeking a better word)

Often they resent people who take action as it may may make them question their own own self.

Remember this, everything the jet ski mafia can do to others can be done to them .

They know this and I have seen this in action and a so called " mafia man" humbled .

All the ' tough guys" threats and bravado from this oaf went out the window when polite a English gent read this thug the riot act. Once the oaf saw who also has access to address and information ( and lets be honest, the local mafia really are " thick" as the english say) and who would be charged with knocking on those door's he backed off.

Once they know this,regradless of who they are and where they are from they lose the power that others give them.

What is the true God here? There are no racial line's to access this power its called . And it is accessible to all.

I support this brave act, wish other would too, because it's act's like this that change place's for the better.

I guess you think these posters are just saying this and not really meaning it. Because what they are saying can be the outcome here. Dont you know this is Thailand and there is no respect for life, they will kill you over something like this. I say the best way to stop the scams is dont use the service. Going after them can very much be life issue. Too many people have been killed in Thailand over money.

"I support this brave act, wish other would too, because it's act's like this that change place's for the better."

Good - now how do you propose to "support" him?

hummm.. Do you think if we can sort it out with the Jet Ski Scam? Will they not alter their behaviors and scam you guys on another things instead? I can see this as an endless question... dude

Oh - I get it - because they might do something else, we should just forget it and walk away......let them cary on.

what's that they say about "evil persists only when good men do nothing"?

... interesting ... online vigilantism.

... at long last, citizens serving-up extra-judicial justice where the contemptable, interminably incompetent and corrupt ROYAL Thai Police and courts are unwilling.

... over the last decade, a similar social revolution occurred in Korea (uh, the 'South' one), the most Internet connected nation on earth ... citizens armed with digital cameras and an uncensored Internet documented and published offical corruptions, in the act ... very embarrassing ... a private army of citizens dedicated to fighting official corruption led public officials to finally yield to the public will.

... embarrassment ... now that is an immensely powerful disincentive for Thais ... culturally, Thais can't handle facing the harsh cold adult truth of who they are and what they do ... a remarkably child-like quality in Thai adults, it is a deeply ensconsed cultural value of Thailand.

... a motivated tech-savvy vigilante can effectively use the power of "name and shame" ... the Thai-controlled media and Internet would be difficult to circumvent, but publishing the story of Thailand's REAL cultural values on web sites which are target-rich with foreign tourists and tour operators would be beyond Thai officials reaches ... now, Thailand might not have the same quality of cultural values shared by more progressive nations, but a small number of motivated "online vigilates" (Thai and farang) could coordinate a campaign to make a meaningful impact.

... over time, Thai authorities will get the painful message ... foreigners are starting to understand the Thai math ... corruption + scams = Thailand.

... and, that all Thais (crooked Thais and public officials) now see an 'open season' on farang ... tourists (and we farang residents) are now viewed as sitting ducks ... I no longer feel the security I once enjoyed here ... I walk gingerly around police ... walking down the street, I find my early warning radar system activated by anyone looking the least bit out of character approaching ... I didn't feel this way 10 years ago.

... if this is the anarchy predicted when the Internet was first opened for public use, then let's make the most of it.

Edited by swillowbee

... at long last, citizens serving-up extra-judicial justice where the contemptable, interminably incompetent and corrupt ROYAL Thai Police and courts are unwilling.

... over the last decade, a similar social revolution occurred in Korea (uh, the 'South' one), the most Internet connected nation on earth ... citizens armed with digital cameras and an uncensored Internet documented and published offical corruptions, in the act ... very embarrassing ... a private army of citizens dedicated to fighting official corruption led public officials to finally yield to the public will.

... embarrassment ... now that is an immensely powerful disincentive for Thais ... culturally, Thais can't handle facing the harsh cold adult truth of who they are and what they do ... a remarkably child-like quality in Thai adults, it is a deeply ensconsed cultural value of Thailand.

... a motivated tech-savvy vigilante can effectively use the power of "name and shame" ... the Thai-controlled media and Internet would be difficult to circumvent, but publishing the story of Thailand's REAL cultural values on web sites which are target-rich with foreign tourists and tour operators would be beyond Thai officials reaches ... now, Thailand might not have the same quality of cultural values shared by more progressive nations, but a small number of motivated "online vigilates" (Thai and farang) could coordinate a campaign to make a meaningful impact.

... over time, Thai authorities will get the painful message ... foreigners are starting to understand the Thai math ... corruption + scams = Thailand.

... and, that all Thais (crooked Thais and public officials) now see an 'open season' on farang ... tourists (and we farang residents) are now viewed as sitting ducks ... I no longer feel the security I once enjoyed here ... I walk gingerly around police ... walking down the street, I find my early warning radar system activated by anyone looking the least bit out of character approaching ... I didn't feel this way 10 years ago.

... if this is the anarchy predicted when the Internet was first opened for public use, then let's make the most of it.

I seem to remember a journalist started a populist anti-orruption campaign in Thailand - it called for a day of refusal to pay bribes to the police.....I think she is dead now?

As for the internet - and other social communication networks - well the Thai govt has spent a lot of time and effort to strangle these, knowing how they can be used by the population against a corrupt governing elite - see various countries over the last few years.

hummm.. Do you think if we can sort it out with the Jet Ski Scam? Will they not alter their behaviors and scam you guys on another things instead? I can see this as an endless question... dude

Oh - I get it - because they might do something else, we should just forget it and walk away......let them cary on.

what's that they say about "evil persists only when good men do nothing"?

For sure, I support him. It's an issue of morality in a Buddhist country like Thailand. Do you know I have seen this sort of jer*ks many times in Thailand and elsewhere? I fed up with 'em

1.Motor bike taxi -over charge,

2. taxi at the airport - no meter,

3. over charge provincial Bus fare

4. greedy street vendors,

5.Thai chicks

6. Thai close friends scam

7.some Idiot Thai guys bullshit everything he said

8.stealing

9. Burglar

10. traffic police corruption

i know someone will tell me off by listing those above. Hahahaha.....

Gees ...... not a basher.:guitar:

I seem to remember a journalist started a populist anti-orruption campaign in Thailand - it called for a day of refusal to pay bribes to the police.....I think she is dead now?

As for the internet - and other social communication networks - well the Thai govt has spent a lot of time and effort to strangle these, knowing how they can be used by the population against a corrupt governing elite - see various countries over the last few years.

... I am unaware of the dead woman who attempted an anti-corruption campaign here ... of course, the advantage of modern technology is the anonymity it affords online vigilantes.

... and, of course you are right ... the corrupt Thai system and way of life will attempt to preserve itself by censoring the Internet and trying to control the message ... that's why online vigilantes would take the battle away from the corrupt Thai enemies backyard and wage it on ground unfriendly to corrupt Thai officialdom ... uncensored foreign web sites ... the battle might be invisible to those living here in Thailand, but it would certainly be visible to the rest of the world.

... imagine crashing the big international tourist trade shows with a CORRUPT THAILAND online campaign ... the growing sense of corporate social responsibility could influence large trade operators to re-consider their endorsement of Thailand as a place in which to send their customers -- into harm's way.

... Thai officials appear incapable or unwilling to stop the interminable corruption from corroding the very souls of this nation ... I don't know, maybe foreigners could fight for the oppressed Thais who confront overwhelming odds and are incapable of waging the battle for their nation's soul.

... and if not, maybe Thais are getting exactly what they deserve ... after all, representative government does succeed in giving power to people who do on balance reflect the values of the majority of the people they represent.

Edited by swillowbee