Why Do Expats Wear Shorts In Thailand

Semper

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not talking about the 2-4 weeks tourists, but about long time expats who are wearing shorts an short sleeve shirts.

Why do they do this? :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have seen alot of things asked on Thai Visa, but this is the stupidest question I have ever seen.

FD :)

Do you ever leave your room /house ? :rolleyes:

Is there a reason you are personally attacking the poster. He answered your question in his own way. Did he catch you off guard??

As to me: Why not? It ios my choice and preferable for comfort etc. When you go around in your skin tight skivvies / spandex that reach to your ankles

I will laugh at you whenever I see you. If you want to laugh at me because I wear shorts so be it. They dont flatter my physique and neither does your apparel.

Oh dear, is there a law against asking a question? :rolleyes:

Other than for work or a date, why would you want to wear pants?

Downrange everyone wears shorts.

Well, pants protects your legs from the sun and heat. Why do people use the dark plastic thing on their car windows :rolleyes:

I'm convinced some farangs are heat-treated in order to withstand sun-burn despite being white-skinned. That's probably why shorts are the 'trendy' thing they are in some farang circles.

I can tell you that in towns and city's farangs who where shorts are seen in a different light to farang's who 'cover-up.'

I traipse about in the countryside a lot and wearing long-pants isn't just good practice (heatwise) it's essential unless you want to be bitten and nibbled on by the local insect-life, snakes and god knows what else is in the jungle etc... :)

Edited by JimsKnight

Thais may be less inclined to wear shorts, but they are smaller, so do not get as hot as Farang.

/Square-cube law

That's an empirical question! :D

If you're a big porker of a farang, booze-guts an' all you will get hotter than a Thai will.

If you keep your weight down and keep fit, work right you can breeze about in long pants just like a shorts wearer can.

For work-outs I do wear shorts though :)

This is the most idiotic question I have seen on here so far.

I've seen a lot worse, trust me. Every day on TV someone breaks new ground. The 'Innocents' thread being one that leaps to mind. :rolleyes:

The 'shorts' question however, must be thoroughly expunged and fleshed out on the corridors and hallways of TV :D

Its a way of life, I wear long shorts/polo and steel caps to work, in a social enviroment I wear long shorts/t-shirt and surfer joe thongs, hell will freeeze over before you see me in long pants.

May I ask why. :)

I come from the Gold Coast in Queensland Australia, long pants have never been a requirement of my work or social life.

Should I be impressed? :unsure: BTW, this topic is Thailand related. So nobody couldn't care less what you wear in Australia :whistling:

"Nobody couldn't care less?"

love wearing my pakomaa after my evening shower, body covered in st lukes powder, trying desperately to catch the gossip when old fellas come to talk to the father in law, watching the locals go about their business before dark, when in town its trousers and a short sleeve shirt, but down at the beach its shorts and a shirt.

long thick woollen socks always worn, when out fishing or duck hunting, mother in law and her gang love the thicks socks i bring over for them, great for them when fishing or working around the place, my large broadrim hat when riding the motorbike when in the countryside, and heaps of sunscreen lotion.

... You won't see a dude wearing shorts at a disco though, not yet. Hard to pick up chicks and get laid when wearing the loser sign. Real hard.

Keep trying. Don't give up yet.

dude.... disco... chicks... how old are you <deleted>?

I worked in Silicon Valley and so California for years, and I am getting a kick out of these replies. Since when is shorts, flip-flops, t-shirt not office apparel? But don't fret, I won't be offended if you don't tip your top-hat to me while your fumbling with your waistcoat and jacket tails on the skytrain, Ha!

But seriously, when is the rest of the world going to figure out that doing your job well and wearing uncomfortable shoes and a silk leash around your neck are different things? I have seen lots of well-to-do looking young Thai professional-types wearing the same style outfit I wear (shorts/flip-flops/ polo-shirt), so I don't think the suit & tie brigade is going to be around forever, even here is Asia.

So this stupid post was started by a stupid person to attack members replying! Interesting philosophy.

What do you call your reply? :whistling:

A true statement - now stick to the point of why you posted the topic instead of attacking the people replying. It must be obvious even to

you that everyone is confused by your question. Is there a reason or are you just fishing out of boredom or as per the above??

Enlighten us.

[quote name='David006' timestamp='1300153202' post='4282686'and those bloody awful nylon tropic printed shirts.

I have three or four tropic print shirts. Not nylon - cotton. To quote a wise sage above: <deleted> not?

As for the shorts thing, I see a lot of Thai men wearing them and Thai women show legs up to their ...

The only real problem I have with shorts is the tourists whose legs look like corpses.

I'm not talking about the 2-4 weeks tourists, but about long time expats who are wearing shorts an short sleeve shirts.

Hi,

I have seen alot of things asked on Thai Visa, but this is the stupidest question I have ever seen.

I must agree with FD and what an answer. I could not reply sooner as I could not stop laughing. I am still chuckling as I type.

Hi,

I must agree with FD and what an answer. I could not reply sooner as I could not stop laughing. I am still chuckling as I type.

I will not bite on this one. Some posters have tried before, but in vain. B)

Edited by Semper

I think there are several reasons for NOT wearing shorts.

1. Your going to work.

2. Your going on a date.

3. Your generation never wore shorts.

4. Your culture doesn't wear shorts.

And perhaps the sadrst of them all.

5. I think if I wear black slacks, white shirt Thais will accept me as one of them and won't consider me a tourist. Perhaps I can share a disapproving glance with a Thai on the BTS.

Other than for work or a date, why would you want to wear pants?

Downrange everyone wears shorts.

Well, pants protects your legs from the sun and heat. Why do people use the dark plastic thing on their car windows :rolleyes:

I'm convinced some farangs are heat-treated in order to withstand sun-burn despite being white-skinned. That's probably why shorts are the 'trendy' thing they are in some farang circles.

I can tell you that in towns and city's farangs who where shorts are seen in a different light to farang's who 'cover-up.'

I traipse about in the countryside a lot and wearing long-pants isn't just good practice (heatwise) it's essential unless you want to be bitten and nibbled on by the local insect-life, snakes and god knows what else is in the jungle etc... :)

So here is one poster who understood my OP. :)

It's an incorrect assumption. Copied and pasted from Either Stickman or Lonley Planet.

Never understand people fretting over what Thais think.

Or putting on a front for tourist. " Wow, that guy must live here. He's wearing pants and riding the bus. "

I never wear shorts outside the beach area or gym.

The reason for this is I feel more comfortable . Besides I hate to show my naked legs in public.

Edited by balo

wow what a cool farang, he is wearing trousers at night, whilst using very poor standard thai or tinglish whilst sitting in a bar surrounded by prostitutes, but he is so cool because he is wearing trousers, those non p4p thais will really respect him

congratulations,this is the stupidest post ever,in all the history of thaivisa,well done

Thanks, obviously you did not get the point of the topic. Try to remove your blinkers or take some mind expanding drugs. Then maybe you will understand the post. :)