Why Do Expats Wear Shorts In Thailand

Semper

That's right ... every time I see one of IF's pin-up pictures of himself I realize my total inadequacies:

charles_atlas.jpg

I do try to take most of it in good fun ... some of it though gets a little too close to hubris.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon its to avoid getting creosote on their laundry - but then, so often, I see blokes wearing shorts whose legs have never seen so much as a sniff of stain or preservative - looks like they've been given a quick once-over with a weak whitewash and that's it.

If you don't look after your legs, they won't last!

SC

Ha Ha but seriously, shorts are the most ridiculous garment ever created. Men look scruffy, absurd and grotesque in them. I'd never voluntarily wear shorts in public under any circumstances.

It's perhaps allowable when you are within 20 feet of the sea and actually standing on sand but otherwise, god almighty!

People wearing them look like absolute numpties (and uncouth).

I'm proud to say my legs have not seen the light of day since I was twelve years old.

Plus any rational person putting on a T-shirt, and then comparing it with a loose open-neck traditional style shirt must instantly notice it's actually much cooler than a T-shirt because air circulates.

Get grip, have some self-respect, and don't show us your knobbly root-like legs!

Ha Ha but seriously, shorts are the most ridiculous garment ever created. Men look scruffy, absurd and grotesque in them. I'd never voluntarily wear shorts in public under any circumstances.

It's perhaps allowable when you are within 20 feet of the sea and actually standing on sand but otherwise, god almighty!

I'm proud to say my legs have not seen the light of day since I was twelve years old.

Plus any rational person putting on a T-shirt, and then comparing it with a loose open-neck traditional style shirt must instantly notice it's actually much cooler than a T-shirt because air circulates.

Get grip, have some self-respect, and don't show us your knobbly root-like legs!

:lol:

AND, god forbid, Varicose veins. :huh:

Hebrides, best beaches ? who told you that bit of nonsense

Check out Barra and come back again....

ok totally off topic but where is this beach do you think?? no googling! lol

From the anoraks and parkas and scarves, I'd say its not Barra...

SC

Hebrides, best beaches ? who told you that bit of nonsense

Check out Barra and come back again....

ok totally off topic but where is this beach do you think?? no googling! lol

From the anoraks and parkas and scarves, I'd say its not Barra...

SC

higher latitude for sure

:lol: I'll have you know, my legs are beautifully proportioned with no knobbles or veins, varicose or otherwise, on display when I sport my superbly fashioned, less than the length of my legs, trousers! :)

I do have occasion to wear more formal clothing, but avoid dressing like a waiter as often as possible!

I suppose the numptieness, or lack thereof, of the wearer must be left for others to decide, as it is entirely subjective. However, I remain confident that I display no numptitious tendencies whatsoever! :)

• 2 months later...

The only farangs wearing shorts are either tourists (because they are on holiday) or high end expat package -working- for -a- multinational crowd (because they dress for comfort and dont care what others think & have no worries getting hot girls given their salaries no matter what they wear) . So when i see farangs wearing jeans on hot days sweating their butts off, they may as well be carrying a sign that says "english teacher" :rolleyes:

I can't believe that there has been around 250 serious replies to what first impressed me as probably one of the stupidest questions ever asked. What difference would it make as to how long one is staying here? Stinking hot weather is stinking hot weather, regardless if it's for 2 weeks or 20 years. I wear dress clothes to work as is the office policy but once I get home it's shorts. On the weekend it's shorts. Why is the name of god would I decide it's more appropriate to sweat mercilessly and wear jeans just because I live here? Am I missing the joke or some hidden meaning to 'wearing shorts'?

I can't believe that there has been around 250 serious replies to what first impressed me as probably one of the stupidest questions ever asked. What difference would it make as to how long one is staying here? Stinking hot weather is stinking hot weather, regardless if it's for 2 weeks or 20 years. I wear dress clothes to work as is the office policy but once I get home it's shorts. On the weekend it's shorts. Why is the name of god would I decide it's more appropriate to sweat mercilessly and wear jeans just because I live here? Am I missing the joke or some hidden meaning to 'wearing shorts'?

I can see why you might refrain from drinking shorts in this warm weather.

How often have you seen an embarrassingly inane thread like this one, and thought "Oh dear, how embarrassing for the OP - I bet he can't wait for this to slip off the 'recent posts' summary', and then someone bumps it back to the top with an equally inane post which adds nothing to the discussion and provides no new insight or information, other than perhaps to highlight the ignorance and prejudices of the poster.

Let's all do our bit for Semper and let this one die, shall we?

SC

It all stems from a post on ,i think stickmanbangkok's website, years ago that mentioned that Thai girls like men who dress well and that shorts are not considered to be 'well dressed'- since that time the primary audience of that website (teachers and sexpats- nothing wrong with either group btw ) have been sweating around town religiously wearing jeans/trousers on hot humid days believing it will improve their chances in pulling a thai girl without realising that the younger generation of Thai girls couldn't care less if a bloke wear shorts :lol:

It all stems from a post on ,i think stickmanbangkok's website, years ago that mentioned that Thai girls like men who dress well and that shorts are not considered to be 'well dressed'- since that time the primary audience of that website (teachers and sexpats- nothing wrong with either group btw ) have been sweating around town religiously wearing jeans/trousers on hot humid days believing it will improve their chances in pulling a thai girl without realising that the younger generation of Thai girls couldn't care less if a bloke wear shorts :lol:

But surely we all know that a decent turn-out can overcome our shortcomings in terms of wealth, personality or wit. You'll not see me promenading down Soi Cowboy without my cravatte and spats

SC

You can still look reasonably smart in shorts but actually I never wear them in Bangkok around town. I live in the Middle East in a much hotter climate and I do wear shorts just to go to the shops, etc but to go 'out' to a bar it's unlikely.

I don't think there is a hidden meaning to it though ;)

But surely we all know that a decent turn-out can overcome our shortcomings in terms of wealth, personality or wit. You'll not see me promenading down Soi Cowboy without my cravatte and spats

SC

My apologies. I think I sat on your top hat that you left in a gentleman's club there recently. :D

I can see why you might refrain from drinking shorts in this warm weather.

How often have you seen an embarrassingly inane thread like this one, and thought "Oh dear, how embarrassing for the OP - I bet he can't wait for this to slip off the 'recent posts' summary', and then someone bumps it back to the top with an equally inane post which adds nothing to the discussion and provides no new insight or information, other than perhaps to highlight the ignorance and prejudices of the poster.

Let's all do our bit for Semper and let this one die, shall we?

SC

Just another wannabe Mod. ;)

To answer your questions:

If you are not on a holiday, and stay in a "hot" climate for a period of time, your body should adjust to the weater condition.

The jeans gives you a good sun protection, and actually will cool your body.

:)

Gosh, someone needs to tell my 75 year old Thai FIL that, the man has to stop wearing loose fitting short fisherman pants and shorts and go buy some hot heavy jeans to wear or he won't be considered "acclimated"

Gosh, someone needs to tell my 75 year old Thai FIL that, the man has to stop wearing loose fitting short fisherman pants and shorts and go buy some hot heavy jeans to wear or he won't be considered "acclimated"

Nobody told him to stop wearing shorts. Read the OP, it was a question. B)

Edit. And BTW, I don't think your FIL is an expat. :)

Edited by Semper

It does not. And do you really dress up for meeting a lady? :rolleyes:

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

If you are not on a holiday, and stay in a "hot" climate for a period of time, your body should adjust to the weater condition.

Yeah sure - want to buy the Grand Palace for real cheap? :whistling:

Yeah sure - want to buy the Grand Palace for real cheap? :whistling:

I know you were them (the shorts), but anything that protects your skin from the sun must be less hot than direct sunlight. :rolleyes:

I know you were them (the shorts), but anything that protects your skin from the sun must be less hot than direct sunlight. :rolleyes:

Oh right, next time I'm and the beach and need to cool down I'll just pull on my black woolen jumper. Thanks for the tip.

This guy must be a troll right?

Nobody has mentioned the affluent or not so affluent Thais who wear shorts. If you are the boss you wear what the hell you like.

Obviously the OP has not visited ChinaTown recently or any non-corporate Thai business.