Above Ceiling Insulation

Greenside

We've got the usual reflective foil insulation under the tiles but I'm wondering if we'll notice the difference by spending an extra 7000 baht on six as opposed to three inch Staycool. It's a single story house and the insulation will only be fitted over the two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and dining area as the main living room has a high vaulted ceiling.

If you have aircon installed you will feel the difference in your electricity bill.Why would you prefer to cool the attic.

Also a hint : Global house sells 3 inch fiberwool at 169 per sheet of 2.4 sqm and have a premium quality at 190 for the same size.I guess 2 layers of 3 inch is still better then 1 layer of 6 inch.

Another hint : if you decide to buy the premium quality do the weight test.I did and the normal weight should be around 2.6 Kg per sheet but I found out that they had a lot which had a mistake in the production proccess and those rolls came in at between 3.4 and 4 Kg.

I guess 2 layers of 3 inch is still better then 1 layer of 6 inch.

Just curious (i.e. I'm not challenging your information, just wondering why): why is that?

I guess 2 layers of 3 inch is still better then 1 layer of 6 inch.

Just curious (i.e. I'm not challenging your information, just wondering why): why is that?

My thinking is that you have 4 layers of reflective foil instead of 2,with some airspace between the inner layers which also insulates.I don't claim it will make a big difference but every little bit helps and since 2 rolls of the 3" Global house brand is ceaper than 1 roll of the 6" staycool is another plus.

Has anyone found a decent installer? I am in the pattaya area. I looked in my attic and the wiring look like a nightmare. I would think that all the wiring would need to be organized and made safer before applying the insulation...

Edited by yankee99

Has anyone found a decent installer? I am in the pattaya area. I looked in my attic and the wiring look like a nightmare. I would think that all the wiring would need to be organized and made safer before applying the insulation...

Yes you are absolutely correct and the nightmare should be turned into a sweet dream before covering it with insulation. But who is going to do that? If you hire a different electrician from the original one he will probably not even really understand the issue but will badmouth the last guy anyway and add a little more tape, take your money and you still have a nightmare. So the way I see it you have 3 choices.....

1. Put your head in the sand, just insulate and have nightmares.
  2. Start researching proper electrical installation and when ready, thoroughly supervise the sweet dream work that will rectify the nightmare. Insulate and sleep well.
  3. Offer a capable and certified farang some "beers" to "supervise" the sweet dream conversion. But the "beer" probabaly doesn't carry the local low price tag. Insulate and sleep well.

EDIT - I'm not thirsty at the moment. Just trying to be a good samaritan.

Edited by doglover

Yes you are absolutely correct and the nightmare should be turned into a sweet dream before covering it with insulation. But who is going to do that? If you hire a different electrician from the original one he will probably not even really understand the issue but will badmouth the last guy anyway and add a little more tape, take your money and you still have a nightmare. So the way I see it you have 3 choices.....

1. Put your head in the sand, just insulate and have nightmares.
  2. Start researching proper electrical installation and when ready, thoroughly supervise the sweet dream work that will rectify the nightmare. Insulate and sleep well.
  3. Offer a capable and certified farang some "beers" to "supervise" the sweet dream conversion. But the "beer" probabaly doesn't carry the local low price tag. Insulate and sleep well.

EDIT - I'm not thirsty at the moment. Just trying to be a good samaritan.

Number 3 should actually be no problem since I have met hundreds of qualified farangs at the bars over the years.In fact most of them were the absolute top in their own and nearby country's in the proffession they practiced.

Number 3 should actually be no problem since I have met hundreds of qualified farangs at the bars over the years.In fact most of them were the absolute top in their own and nearby country's in the proffession they practiced.

:lol:! I like your sense of humour. And there is truth to your statement of course.

Edited by doglover

:lol:! I like your sense of humour. And there is truth to your statement of course.

Correct, they are / were the tops in their own country in their field as well as being experts in most other areas, just ask them :whistling: