Usb To Rs232 (Serial) Adapter

LivinLOS

You didn't' mention which model Dreambox you have. The DM600 can be flashed through LAN, very easy and much much faster than using a null modem cable. I think probably other Dreamboxes but I didn't check this. Several websites explain how, for example this.

I have a null modem cable.. But dont have a PC with a serial port any more..

So its the USB to serial adapter I need. If you had one I would happily post it back and forth ?

Once reflashed to life I should be able to get by with LAN flashing (next time I will telnet, its safer, I used a 'tool' !!) or even buy me enough time to find my own dam_n one thats here somewhere !! Just spent the better part of the afternoon pulling through boxes of junk and wires !!

What is that and where can I get it..

It is a USB to Serial adaptor / port as you asked for above.

You should be able to buy it at most good computer outlets for a few hundred Baht.

Edited by jsat

Went into 2 PC shops today and failed to find one.. Explaining what I wanted was one of those experiences best summed up by 'facepalm'.. Hence I would buy one mail order if I could find it.

Will try again tomorrow I guess.

Went into 2 PC shops today and failed to find one.. Explaining what I wanted was one of those experiences best summed up by 'facepalm'.. Hence I would buy one mail order if I could find it.

Will try again tomorrow I guess.

Try Amorn at Icon center or Kitti electronics. They should have one or a PCI RS232 card (multi-function card) which we use several of at one of those two. If still no luck, I have two at my office at CM university to borrow if you want to stop by. One is an ATEN U232.

Most of my control system designs require RS232 so buy them often.

Thanks it was specific recommendations like that I was hunting for..

Wont need to borrow anything as its become less urgent, a DB500 I thought was dead actually was only the PSU was dead, so swapped that one out with the one I bricked. Wife has TV again, emergency over ;)

I have one at home.

It needs a sw driver to work.

I use it to access the data on my weather station.

I seem to remember using it to flash my Dreambox when the LAN failed.

Sorry I cannot advise on where to buy as I am not in LOS.

Try MacroCare, Pantip VChiang Mai. 2nd floor. room 2141-42 Changkarn. Tel 0 53 28 80 03 - 04 www.mc.co.th

They are dealer for Aten brand. I strongly recommend Aten brand.

Reference taken from their business card, that I got from their shop in Zeer Rangsit.

Edited by olivier2553