Retirement Visa Versus Marriage Visa

I currently have a retirement O-A visa, up for renewal soon. As I am married to a Thai national, and am briefly traveling back to the states I thought I would get a tourist "O" visa for my return to Thailand. Then I would convert this tourist visa to a Marriage visa here in Chiang Mai.

We have all the necessary documentation to do so, - certified marriage certificates, Thai translations, Thai back account, house blue book, photos, etc.

Can anyone point out the cons of a marriage visa over a retirement visa?

Right our the gate, with a marriage visa I would only have to have 400k baht in my Thai bank account for 2 months, versus 800k baht in the account for 3 months with an retirement O-A.

I have heard conflicting information that a 1-year marriage visa requires me to leave the country every 90 days and re-enter, which makes no sense. I think they are confusing that with the 90 day reporting which is still required and no big deal.

Thanks all!!

With an extension based on retirement you only need bring the required financial documents to Immigration once each year. With an extension based on marriage you may have a visit or two from Immigration to you home, provide photos of your marriage and even have your neighbors interviewed regarding the authenticity of your marriage. To me this is more an invasion of your privacy than simply copies of your bank book and other documents. Also, God forbid, if your wife dies suddenly you only have a few days before your extension is null and void. Who in the world would be thinking of that when you are grief stricken with so much else to take care of. Extensions based on retirement IMHO is the only way to go.

You either apply for a tourist visa or for a non-O visa based on marriage. The last one is the best, as you wont have to convert anything and can apply for either an extension of stay for 1 year based on marriage or on retirement. As you are talking about renewing it again,are currently on an extension of stay based on retirement or do you travel to the US to get a new O-A visa every time?

If you get 1 year extensions of stay you can simply apply for an extension based on marriage by filling in something as "to stay with my wife" on the application form in stead of "retirement".

The difference bewteen the two is that an extension of stay based on retirement requires you to show more money, but is much, much easier to get. (You get it the same day)

The extension of stay requires much more paperwork and interviews etc to check that it is not a fake marriage. You have to come back after one month to get the actual extension of stay. It has the advantage that it requires less money and you can get a work permit on an extension of stay based on marriage. Based on retirement a work permit will not be issued.

If you have the money and don't plan to work in Thailand, the retirmement option is the easiest.

A non-O only gives you permisison to stay for 90 days, with an extension of stay from immirgation you can stay for 1 year and extend again each year after that.

1. An O-A visa can cover almost two years when multi entry and all entries get a new one year from entry stamp during the one year the visa itself is valid. Have you taken that into account?

2. From current entry you could extend for retirement or marriage. No entry change would be required.

3. Marriage is currently two month in bank but suspect when next change is made it will be the same as retirement so the two month may not be valid a year from now.

4. As mentioned retirement is much easier if you can afford it as one or two pieces of paper each year is all that is required - marriage require a lot of paper/wife/return visit(s).

5. All visas, except O-A, require exit every 90 days. Extensions of stay from Immigration (where the money is bank is required) are what allow longer periods and thus require 90 day address reporting if no travel made.

Currently I have an O-A and we live here in Chiang Mai. It is up for renewal next month and I am traveling to the US. My thought was to get a non-O (correction, not a tourist visa) and then apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage. As my overall savings work better for me outside of Thailand it would help to only need the 400k baht in the bank versus the O-A 800k. I actually only travel once or twice locally outside of Thailand per year. I haven't been back to the states in two years.

You either apply for a tourist visa or for a non-O visa based on marriage. The last one is the best, as you wont have to convert anything and can apply for either an extension of stay for 1 year based on marriage or on retirement. As you are talking about renewing it again,are currently on an extension of stay based on retirement or do you travel to the US to get a new O-A visa every time?

you permisison to stay for 90 days, with an extension of stay from immirgation you can stay for 1 year and extend again each year after that.

Take marriage certificate and obtain single entry non immigrant O visa in US and then extend during the last 30 days of your permitted to stay. Remember that when on extension of stay you will need re-entry permit for travel to keep it alive. Be sure account money is in your name.

Proof of incoe can be from abroad. if from abroad you need to show a letter from your embassy confirming your income. As a US-citizen you make an affadavid under oath. See Uthe embassy webiste.

Income from within Thailand must be shown with tax-docuemnts.

Take marriage certificate and obtain single entry non immigrant O visa in US and then extend during the last 30 days of your permitted to stay. Remember that when on extension of stay you will need re-entry permit for travel to keep it alive. Be sure account money is in your name.

I have a Thai bank savings account with ATM access well above 400k baht in my name. So I assume that takes care of the required "income", right?

I have a Thai bank savings account with ATM access well above 400k baht in my name. So I assume that takes care of the required "income", right?

400k in a Thai bank is not classified as income but is required for the amount of 400 k in the bank route on a yearly bases.

If the balance in the Thai bank is over 400,000 Baht for a period of 2 months prior to application that will take care of the money in the bank requirement.

Currently I have an O-A and we live here in Chiang Mai. It is up for renewal next month and I am traveling to the US. My thought was to get a non-O (correction, not a tourist visa) and then apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage. As my overall savings work better for me outside of Thailand it would help to only need the 400k baht in the bank versus the O-A 800k. I actually only travel once or twice locally outside of Thailand per year. I haven't been back to the states in two years.

you permisison to stay for 90 days, with an extension of stay from immirgation you can stay for 1 year and extend again each year after that.

Posters correct me if I'm wrong but can't the OP request another O-A based on retirement while he's home? That would allow him to keep his money in his home country.

I have an O-A multi which expires in April. I talked to the Thai consulate in Miami (where I got my O-A) before I returned to LOS in Dec. and they said that Thai consulates are no longer issuing O-A's. I don't know if that means you have to go to the Thai embassy to get one or what. Since I knew I would have until April 2012 with a border run I didn't inquire further.

I have a few questions.

My O-A visa stamp says at the bottom or the stamp 'extension of stay not permitted'. I plan on going to Chaing Rai or Laos before my visa expires so I will have 1 more year until April 2012, but will I be able to get an extension of stay in April of 2012, or what should I do?

I was also told by a local farang here in Phetchabun that I can go to immigration in Phitsanaluk and they will easily renew my O-A, is that true? I have to go there for my 90 day report by march 30th anyway.

And lastly what is the difference in a retirement visa and a non-imm O-A? When I got the O-A I told them then it was for retirement. What is a retirement Visa?

The O-A is a retirement (long stay) visa. It can not be renewed in Thailand but you can extend your stay for one year with the normal 800k or 65k requirement here. That Consulate stamp only means you can not extend for 30 days as with a tourist visa. Honorary consulates are no longer authorized to issue O-A but full Consulates (Thai government staffed) are.

The O-A is a retirement (long stay) visa. It can not be renewed in Thailand but you can extend your stay for one year with the normal 800k or 65k requirement here. That Consulate stamp only means you can not extend for 30 days as with a tourist visa. Honorary consulates are no longer authorized to issue O-A but full Consulates (Thai government staffed) are.

Once again I have to say thanks LB3, you came thru again.

I know a few people working on a retirement visa. Immigration basically said get the retirement and don't worry about it.

How risky is doing this, really? How many people have been busted &/or deported or fined for working on a retirement visa.

Many thanks for your considered response.

Once again I have to say thanks LB3, you came thru again.

Immigration has nothing to do with working and can not authorize for anyone. Work permits are a labor department function. There have been a few issued to those on retirement in the past but do not believe any ones are currently being provided. As for how many we do not even have figures available for how many are on retirement. We can guess few; but that does not make it safe if you are the exception.

I know a few people working on a retirement visa. Immigration basically said get the retirement and don't worry about it.

How risky is doing this, really? How many people have been busted &/or deported or fined for working on a retirement visa.

Many thanks for your considered response.

To the OP:

They may say so, it is however against the law that states that you need a WP (work permit). What happens if they change their mind because you weren't that helpful (re tea money and so)?

They can bust you anytime and you may even be not allowed to return!

I wouldn't do - get a WP and change your Visa and you're clean and cannot be blackmailed from anybody!

Thanks for the replies.

So what should I convert the Retirement to, and how? Change it to a marriage, for example, since I'm married?

Or can I change it to a non-imm. B within Thailand, without going to the US?

So once I change it to the appropriate visa (?), I suppose I can apply for a work permit, right?

I suppose I was wondering if anyone had actually heard of people being busted, or just anecdotal info? The old "blackmail" story, which probably has some truth to it.

But I also know someone else who has done this for 12 years. Should he start worrying now? Maybe. Probably? Or not, if he keeps his nose clean. Who really knows?

BTW, I have another friend on a retirement visa with a work permit. He said it's rare, and he had to get the governor to sign off on it, but he's done it, and reckons there's probably a few hundred people in Thailand who have this unusual combination. He said you need to be supporting a family here as well to get this. Probably not that easy to do, and why bother, I wonder?

Thanks again - TH

Don't mind proof of income. What other visa type are you talking about, since we're not talking about retirement anymore? (that would require proof of income?)

If you don't want to go thru proof of income then get the marriage visa which allows you to work. Retirement visa does not.

Don't mind proof of income. What other visa type are you talking about, since we're not talking about retirement anymore? (that would require proof of income?)

If you don't want to go thru proof of income then get the marriage visa which allows you to work. Retirement visa does not.

It is not a visa, but he is saying to get a one year "Extension of Stay" based on marriage, then you are more likely to get a work permit. Financial requirement is 40,000 Baht per month income or 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account in your name.

Thanks for the replies.

So what should I convert the Retirement to, and how? Change it to a marriage, for example, since I'm married?

Or can I change it to a non-imm. B within Thailand, without going to the US?

So once I change it to the appropriate visa (?), I suppose I can apply for a work permit, right?

I suppose I was wondering if anyone had actually heard of people being busted, or just anecdotal info? The old "blackmail" story, which probably has some truth to it.

But I also know someone else who has done this for 12 years. Should he start worrying now? Maybe. Probably? Or not, if he keeps his nose clean. Who really knows?

BTW, I have another friend on a retirement visa with a work permit. He said it's rare, and he had to get the governor to sign off on it, but he's done it, and reckons there's probably a few hundred people in Thailand who have this unusual combination. He said you need to be supporting a family here as well to get this. Probably not that easy to do, and why bother, I wonder?

Thanks again - TH

Somebody may correct me if I'm wrong but the type of Visa you have is not that important. If you get a work permit you can apply for another visa and the previous one will be rescinded. There are many guys that were here on a retirement visa, had the qualifications (and the job) and were able to change their visa into non-imm B. To work with a retirement visa without changing your status, well I never did hear that! Are you sure that he actually HAS a WP and not just says so?

These forum topics are frequently confusing because some people are talking about "visas" and others are talking about "extensions of stay", two completely different things.

I am here on a non-immigrant education visa from the US, and I plan to try to get a one-year retirement "extension of stay" later this month. I am over 50.

This is my plan.

1) Go to the US Embassy in Bangkok, actually USCIS, and get a notarized Income Affadavit for Retirees. I can prove I have Investment Income exceeding 65K baht per month by showing my bank statements, but because I am from the US, I will not have to produce that evidence at the US Embassy due to privacy laws. They will just ask me to raise my right hand and swear under oath that I have the income, and they will notarize my affidavit. As I understand it, some embassies from other countries, such as the UK, will require proof of income before they notarize the income affidavit. Here is a link for the form.

http://bangkok.usemb...it_retirees.pdf

2) Go to my local Thai bank and get a letter from the bank saying I have a bank account in Thailand (cost 100 baht) and get copies of all pages of my passbook showing I have had the bank account in Thailand for many months with a balance over 15K baht.

3) Bring these originals and copies and copies of the relevant passport pages and photos to the local immigration office and fill out the the retirement "extension of stay" form.

My questions for the experienced retirees who have an extension of stay is

1) Plan any good?

2) Will the local immigration office still ask for proof of 65K baht monthly income at that point and will they accept investment income as proof of income?

3) Will this work if I am here on a non-immigrant education visa?

TIA!

Edited by HarryWho

You might need to obtain a non-O visa from a neighbouring country, it depends on the immirgation office if they will allow you to change your reason of stay to retirement.

If you go the income route, no need to have a bank letter. A copy of the bankbook will be enough and you migth not even be asked for that one (depends on the office).

Immigration can ask for additional proof of income beside the embassy letter, but that is rare.