Ubc Supply Cable Is It The Same..?

Mumbo Jumbo

I am having yellow plastic tubing installed inside my lounge wall, for new power sockets etc, I am thinking of having UBC installed and I would like to know if the cable that comes from the UBC dish to the set box is the same as normal TV co-axal cable I think its 75 Ohms ...? if the UBC cable is the same then I can run normal TV co-axal cable down the tube ready for the UBC installation...

Thanks ..... Mumbo

I had UBC installed while I was away (stupid, I know, should always be around to keep an eye on what's going on)

They actually used my existing coax and everything works fine so I assume you would be Okay.

If you are concerned, either check with your local UBC dealer or make sure that the sleeving has no kinks so that a new cable can be pulled through,

The standard CCTV cable is RG-6 and is 75 ohm. The satellite feed cable is also RG-6 (75 ohm) but is quad shielded meaning less loss over distance. Since you have short runs then the standard RG-6 will be fine, the quad-shield is for several hundred meters run.

The standard CCTV cable is RG-6 and is 75 ohm.  The satellite feed cable is also RG-6 (75 ohm) but is quad shielded meaning less loss over distance.  Since you have short runs then the standard RG-6 will be fine, the quad-shield is for several hundred meters run.

The important bit is CCTV cable, (not the standard coax used for aerials around Thailand). The CCTV cable has lower loss and better frequency coverage and is essential for a UBC set up.

This is also true if you are feeding cable tv to other rooms in the house!!

You should always use the best cable you can get for satellite connections.

If you are putting in a cable specially for satellite get the proper stuff (you can use it for the TV as well, may get better reception) :o

Regular TV coax will work but is considerably more lossy than the real thing, you will get more dropouts due to rain.

Remember the satellite is 22500 miles away and transmits a few hundred watts, as opposed to your local TV station which is 10 miles away and chucks out hundred of kilowatts.

OK that's an over simplification, we have high gain antennae at both ends of a satellite link etc etc.

Edited by Crossy