Subscription Usenet Servers

I have a true internet 12mpbs subscription in BKK and i usually use a usenetprovider in the Netherlands to download my stuff. The speedrate is around 250kbyte to 600kbyte/sec, quite good but i think it can be better. I read connections to the US are better than connections to Europe so faster downloading can be achieved by downloading from a US based usenetprovider. is that true? If so, which usenet provider do u guys recommend? Eastcoast or westcoast?

I haven't used usenet in years so I'm not really sure about the answer to your specific question, but if these are non user specific files, it would be much faster/easier to download using torrent. It's decentralized and would negate the difference of being in the US/Europe/Thailand. on well seeded downloads, I get over 1000K download speeds off my 12Mbs 3BB line.

I haven't used usenet in years so I'm not really sure about the answer to your specific question, but if these are non user specific files, it would be much faster/easier to download using torrent. It's decentralized and would negate the difference of being in the US/Europe/Thailand. on well seeded downloads, I get over 1000K download speeds off my 12Mbs 3BB line.

Usenet downloading from a decent provider is MUCH faster than torrents combined with NZB database provider. Torrents you are relying on other people your not on usenet.

I can max out True 50mb at 6.2MB/s to bkk from US usenet servers. Have to queue up a HELL OF A LOT of torrents to achieve that.

Would recommend any of the following:

Usenetserver

Newsdemon

Astranews

Giganews

Easynews (Now with 100 connections available)

Is there any other benefit to using usenets? Like security, availability, variety?

Looking at the math it looks like it actually about the same speed-wise.

The fastest I've had is 1,200K/s on a 12MB/s line with a single torrent

Your fastest speed is 6.2MB/s on a 50MB/s line.

Your internet connection is approximately 5 times faster than the one I use, and your maximum download rate listed below is about 5 times my maximum. The difference seems negligible.

So, based off your example, I don't think the usenets are necessarily faster, nor would anyone need to download a "HELL OF A LOT" or torrents to achieve those speeds. I could do it easily by downloading a torrent and paying for a faster internet connection.

Am I missing something?

Usenet downloading from a decent provider is MUCH faster than torrents combined with NZB database provider. Torrents you are relying on other people your not on usenet.

I can max out True 50mb at 6.2MB/s to bkk from US usenet servers. Have to queue up a HELL OF A LOT of torrents to achieve that.

Usenetserver

Newsdemon

Astranews

Giganews

Is there any other benefit to using usenets? Like security, availability, variety?

Your internet connection is approximately 5 times faster than the one I use, and your maximum download rate listed below is about 5 times my maximum. The difference seems negligible.

So, based off your example, I don't think the usenets are necessarily faster, nor would anyone need to download a "HELL OF A LOT" or torrents to achieve those speeds. I could do it easily by downloading a torrent and paying for a faster internet connection.

Am I missing something?

Usenetserver

Newsdemon

Astranews

Giganews

torrents are reliant on people sharing, usenet comes direct from the servers, always on line and quick,

nzb's are available for about 800 days, and are often reposted, old torrents have very few sharers,

usenet does not require any upload speed,

torrent clients seem to hog resources on the computer.

Upload speed is a commodity for me. This may be worth another look. Thanks for the info!

Am I missing something?

Usenetserver

Newsdemon

Astranews

Giganews

torrents are reliant on people sharing, usenet comes direct from the servers, always on line and quick,

nzb's are available for about 800 days, and are often reposted, old torrents have very few sharers,

usenet does not require any upload speed,

torrent clients seem to hog resources on the computer.

Im getting it from the us and i have a constant speed of a full 12mb down (the max of my line) I love news servers torrents don't even come close. Yes i pay a little bit but you know you will get what you download and you don't have to worry about someone turning his computer off.

Most people who try a NZB provider and usenet provider from what I have seen state usenet+NZB is a far better than torrent downloading.

Max speed on any available item with SSL. Not relying on people to seed the less popular or older items on torrents which can take days to download.

For example episode 3 of cake boss season 1 in HD for the mrs i can still max the connection - not many people seeding that on torrents.

Edited by negreanu

• 2 weeks later...

Im getting it from the us and i have a constant speed of a full 12mb down (the max of my line) I love news servers torrents don't even come close. Yes i pay a little bit but you know you will get what you download and you don't have to worry about someone turning his computer off.

Which usenetprovider do you use? Usenet is so much better than torrents, you always get full speed. For torrents it's a different story, if there are no seeds in Thailand and the torrent is a few gig you'll be downloading for a few days.

Which usenetprovider do you use? Usenet is so much better than torrents, you always get full speed. For torrents it's a different story, if there are no seeds in Thailand and the torrent is a few gig you'll be downloading for a few days.

I'm using usenetserver. I recently switched from newshosting to get SSL, but it turned out great because I'm now paying 10USD instead of 14.95USD with SSL unlimited. On my 8MB true connection I get 5+MB during off peak hours. During peak hours it can drop as low as 2MB. I still use Torrent occasionally for hard to get Chinese movies since they are not posted on usenet.

Easynews unlimited NNTP. US$20.00 but they now allow unlimited connections. So can max out 50MB VDSL 24 hours a day with 100 connections to the server.

The number of connections has a dramatic effect on peformance here in Thailand to the US. So the more connections your provider allows the better.

Edited by negreanu

I'm using Astraweb with the US servers enabled which I think on the whole are faster. As already mentioned, the number of connections is more critical as is the choice of ISP. With True I had to enable SSL with 50 connections to get the same speed as 3BB using 20 connections (no SSL). As with everything here, YMMV.