Thais And Their Food.

tigerfish

o.k. so i guess i should have posted this in the food forum, but i thought i would get a better response here.

so here goes ?

runny egg yolks. eaten with a traditional Thai dish or as an accompliment to a western dish,. rarely do i see a Thai eat the yolk unless its hard.

MEAT ! beef or lamb, any sign of blood and they wont touch the stuff. kill the flesh not once, but twice over a hot flame with a hot chilli sauce dip and you may stand a chance of them eating it

.what i dont get and have never understood is why when it comes to foreign food they always have an opinion on how to make it taste better. just the other day i had a lady try to tell me that olives would taste a lot better if they they weren't served in some kind of brine poor hot water over them was her advice. then as i have said there is the great meat debate. i like roast beef and lamb to be served in all their bloody juices.

just think if i was to go up to any Thai and criticize the fact that they eat pigs ears and noses, chicken feet, crickets, dog meat, etc............. ( all of which i have eaten and enjoyed )

and then finally you have their own food.

why is it that when they order som tam whatever twist on the dish, there always seems to be some kind of complaint. not enough papaya, prawns, boo /plah ( crab and fermented fish ) its too bitter, too much lime or not enough palm sugar or nam plah.

get where i am coming from ?

debate please. biggrin.gif

Not sure on the western food.

They bitch about their own food as means to a conversation. They clearly enjoy it but probably their most favorite thing to discuss is food. Ie whose som tam is better, Noi's or Nok's.

I always thought that a school to teach Thai cooks how to cook eggs would be a good thing. The restaurants with graduates could display a sign designating expert egg cooks. I would certainly frequent ANY establishment with qualified cooks. Last month I had a cook at a German restaurant in Rawai cook my over easy eggs perfectly. I told the owner and tipped the cook 100 Baht. First time in 14 years an Asian cook other than my wife did it correctly.

I always thought that a school to teach Thai cooks how to cook eggs would be a good thing. The restaurants with graduates could display a sign designating expert egg cooks. I would certainly frequent ANY establishment with qualified cooks. Last month I had a cook at a German restaurant in Rawai cook my over easy eggs perfectly. I told the owner and tipped the cook 100 Baht. First time in 14 years an Asian cook other than my wife did it correctly.

exactly, bunta71 !

so why is it that they get so fussy over an egg yolk and the way say us foreigners cook things. when to be perfectly honest some of the things i have stuffed down my gob that most thais find normal other farangs wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Thais and poms. When they are overseas they cannot survive without their own food.

yes, but my wife has kurnell and has adapted well when given new things to try. its just certain things i can never get my head around that confuse the heck out of me. like, roast beef or a rack of lamb cooked so that all the bloody juices are still flowing.

but, put a piece of smoked salmon or any kind of Japanese raw fish dish in front of her and it wont touch the sides.

Edited by tigerfish

Thais and poms. When they are overseas they cannot survive without their own food.

yes, but my wife has kurnell and has adapted well when given new things to try. its just certain things i can never get my head around that confuse the heck out of me. like, roast beef or a rack of lamb cooked so that all the bloody juices are still flowing.

but, put a piece of smoked salmon or any kind of Japanese raw fish dish in front of her and it wont touch the sides.

My missus likes her lamb and beef bloody.

Ask any Thai that has moved OS and they will say they took their own rice, sauces, curry paste etc. I even had an argument with one girl moving to Australia who wanted to take all her own food. I told her that everything she wanted was in Sydney, where she was moving. She insisted that everything over there was expensive and not the brand she liked. I told her I lived there and listed the brand and the price, but she still wouldn't listen. Some people just can't be helped.

In Issan they do eat a lot of raw Beef. Thai food is often regarded as some of the best food in the world. For me depends on who is cooking it? For me Issan food is some of the worst food I have ever eaten, sorry ever tried to eat. As for the fried eggs, cooked rock solid at the crack of dawn, still on sale at mid-day. Everything lased with sugar and choo-rot, or stinking fermented fish.

jb1

In Issan they do eat a lot of raw Beef. Thai food is often regarded as some of the best food in the world. For me depends on who is cooking it? For me Issan food is some of the worst food I have ever eaten, sorry ever tried to eat. As for the fried eggs, cooked rock solid at the crack of dawn, still on sale at mid-day. Everything lased with sugar and choo-rot, or stinking fermented fish.

jb1

Not to mention the fact that MOST Thai food is contaminated with pesticides that are so deadly to be illegal in civilized countries and then comes the sugar and MSG. Some people think it is healthy.

Not to mention the fact that MOST Thai food is contaminated with pesticides that are so deadly to be illegal in civilized countries and then comes the sugar and MSG. Some people think it is healthy.

Indeed. I've died several times from the deadly poisons in most Thai food.

Indeed. I've died several times from the deadly poisons in most Thai food.

You've died? Great, what did you take for it? Good to know these things for when my times comes

Rice......

For a country that has rice as it's staple diet, it is the crappest rice that I have come across. It's just so bland and often too hard or soft, they don't seem to be fussed about having it hot either.

The Indians know what rice is all about.

Rice......

For a country that has rice as it's staple diet, it is the crappest rice that I have come across. It's just so bland and often too hard or soft, they don't seem to be fussed about having it hot either.

another thing about the rice is for something that is meant to be held in such high esteem by the thais and is even worshipped upon on religious occasions. plus the fact that its price keeps going up, they don't half waste a lot of the stuff !

Rice......

Well I find that varies. Sometimes the better restaurants serve nicer rice. But you're right compared to Indians and Persians, generally the rice standard isn't very high here. Also, it's quite often cooked poorly. Kind of reminds me of some coffee exporting countries where it's almost impossible to get a decent cup of coffee.

Edited by Jingthing

runny egg yolks. eaten with a traditional Thai dish or as an accompliment to a western dish,. rarely do i see a Thai eat the yolk unless its hard.

salamonella. here also its impossible to get a soft egg anywhere. restaraunts are not allowed to serve them and most folks here ownt touch them either. hard all the way.

thais serve meat either grilled totally, or served raw as laab. i eat both. raw pig liver freshly slaughtered is the best, dipped in hot spicy sauce. and here no israeli will touch meat dripping blood either. not kosher. so i have no problem with the grilled to death thing there eiher. havent had rare steak served to me in 25 years.

as for suaces: americans (and israeli children i admit) need their ketchup. my father was always horrified by (less savvy) americans ordering ketchup in chinese eateries. but here my hong kong friends insist on serving ketchup at dinner also,since israelis eat ketchup on rice, shnitzel, and just about everything else. disgusting for me because i have a ketchup phobia.( cant look at the stuff, see it, smell it or taste it and it is served in my house in a separate small bowl, and far away from where i sit.

hubby dear has to put naam plaa on my very good spaghhetti, on pizza, on humous ( :bah: )in a pita, and on everything else apart from chocolate spread. israelis put humous on everything to do with meat in pita. revolting.

and thais fisrt question when calling long distance is not, 'so, hows the job, wife, living in general?" but " sawadeeeeeeeeeee, taam alai? khin houw yang? khin alai? " and then trade recipes for an expensive half hour.

the only way hubby manages to eat israeli food is with the yemen schuug -very hot pepper sauce made of chopped peppers and cilantro, or morrocan based dishes, (also, with hot peppers and garlic)-- and he travels with his onw supply of red hot chili peppers to add to any sandwich. and he bitxhes and complains about the way people do rice here.

but then again, a majority of folks here if not discussing sports or politics are discussing food also.

and the thais i know always seem to find replacements for stuff that they cant get here, and the food tastes good.

bina

Edited by bina
the usual grammar spel. stuff

thais serve meat either grilled totally, or served raw as laab

i reiterate.

and i forgot to mention the two liter and half bottles in my fridge filled with pigs blood, non coagulated (stirred forever to prevent clumps, so now there is the coagulateion factor , the bottom of the bottle is the coagulated part, the rest is plasma i guess...

youngest went to pour cola for friends, poured from wrong , unlabeled , bottle- had screams of vampire reverberating around the house for days.......... hubby uses it in his sauces and mixed in with the 'wodka' when visitors (thai) come over........

bina

salamonella. here also its impossible to get a soft egg anywhere. restaraunts are not allowed to serve them and most folks here ownt touch them either. hard all the way.

thais serve meat either grilled totally, or served raw as laab. i eat both. raw pig liver freshly slaughtered is the best, dipped in hot spicy sauce. and here no israeli will touch meat dripping blood either. not kosher. so i have no problem with the grilled to death thing there eiher. havent had rare steak served to me in 25 years.

as for suaces: americans (and israeli children i admit) need their ketchup. my father was always horrified by (less savvy) americans ordering ketchup in chinese eateries. but here my hong kong friends insist on serving ketchup at dinner also,since israelis eat ketchup on rice, shnitzel, and just about everything else. disgusting for me because i have a ketchup phobia.( cant look at the stuff, see it, smell it or taste it and it is served in my house in a separate small bowl, and far away from where i sit.

hubby dear has to put naam plaa on my very good spaghhetti, on pizza, on humous ( :bah: )in a pita, and on everything else apart from chocolate spread. israelis put humous on everything to do with meat in pita. revolting.

and thais fisrt question when calling long distance is not, 'so, hows the job, wife, living in general?" but " sawadeeeeeeeeeee, taam alai? khin houw yang? khin alai? " and then trade recipes for an expensive half hour.

the only way hubby manages to eat israeli food is with the yemen schuug -very hot pepper sauce made of chopped peppers and cilantro, or morrocan based dishes, (also, with hot peppers and garlic)-- and he travels with his onw supply of red hot chili peppers to add to any sandwich. and he bitxhes and complains about the way people do rice here.

but then again, a majority of folks here if not discussing sports or politics are discussing food also.

and the thais i know always seem to find replacements for stuff that they cant get here, and the food tastes good.

bina

This post has been edited by bina: Yesterday, 14:39

Reason for edit: the usual grammar spel. stuff

Well the edit obviously failed to work, as does your caps key ? Call me pedantic if you will but I think for most of us that read posts here, its far easier to do so if at least the most basic rules of punctuation are in evidence.

Has anyone ever been to one of those early morning stalls that serve egg from about four in the morning? You can ask for it raw, half cooked or cooked completely, and then you basically drink it with free tea, ovaltine and deep fried things(?) to dip in the ovaltine. I normally go after a heavy drinking session. Never seen them worry about undercooking anything. Another stall over the road does eggs perfectly; a little bit runny.

Why is it that I rarely agree with any of the things you all moan about?

Edited by SamBolsty