Uk Mobile Phone In Los/broadband

samran

Have a couple of questions:

1) I've got a Nokia 6020 mobile which I use through Virgin in the UK. Will I have to get it unlocked so as to use a Thai SIM card? I am assuming yes.

2) Secondly, I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with wireless router (54Mbps) that I've been using here in the UK. I'm guessing that it will work in Thailand...but could someone confirm this.

3) I am a bit unsure what the best ADSL package is out there. I had a look at KSC who seem OK, though a bit 'paeng'. The also seem to want to charge more if there is more than one computer hooked up to the service. Is this standard, or is there a way around it. Wifey and I both like to work off out indivudual laptops.

Cheers

samran.

1) I've got a Nokia 6020 mobile which I use through Virgin in the UK. Will I have to get it unlocked so as to use a Thai SIM card? I am assuming yes.

Virgin branded mobiles aren't usually locked, but to confirm just try another service providers sim in it and see if it works. The lock is only for service provider not for country, so if it will take another company's sim in UK it will be ok in Thailand

totster :o

Have a couple of questions:

2) Secondly, I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with wireless router (54Mbps) that I've been using here in the UK. I'm guessing that it will work in Thailand...but could someone confirm this.

3) I am a bit unsure what the best ADSL package is out there. I had a look at KSC who seem OK, though a bit 'paeng'. The also seem to want to charge more if there is more than one computer hooked up to the service. Is this standard, or is there a way around it. Wifey and I both like to work off out indivudual laptops.

Cheers

samran.

1.) You can ask Virgin directly, or just wait until you arrive in Bangkok. Then just buy a pre-paid SIM, and activate it. If it doesn't work get the phone unlocked. This can be done in a matter of minutes, and most phone shops will unlock a phone for a few hundred baht.

2.) Your Belkin CPE will likely work but it really depends on the service provider you ultimately choose. I've seen Belkin CPE, specifically an integrated ADSL modem/router/WiFi AP, for sale in Thailand.

3.) The best ADSL package really depends on where you live and which service providers offer service on your fixed line. Most ADSL providers that I investigated (excluding KSC) do not "know" if you are using a router, which requires a single IP address, and enabling, via a local DHCP server, more than one PC. Net-net, Wifey and you should be good-to-go.