Moved To Pub Forum

smokie36

Just want to express my concern at the number of topics moving from General to Pub. It seems the mods are using this forum as room 101.

If you want to close a topic then surely do it rather than stifling the discussion and cluttering up another forum with unrelated material.

Thanks.

:jap:

I've asked some of the other mods to help out here as we are having a discussion regarding this right now. Seems a few members are initiating a bunch of "interesting" topics. Some of which are only vaguely related to Thailand. Like, do you wear socks. You've been a good boy. Why don't Thai people understand irony? Do you get distracted while driving? Average penis size.

Sorry, but these just don't belong in General. Topics in General must be Thai related and must not fit elsewhere. The Pub is setup for these type of questions. It's more open and less heavily moderated. Have fun!

We can for sure close them, but then the op's will be upset with that. So, to allow them to "run", we put them in the pub.

While you are unhappy with these being moved, other members are unhappy with these being opened:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/453034-why-do-members-of-tv-asked-sometimes-so-unwanted-question-like/

It's a thankless job us mods have! :(

Topics in General must be Thai related and must not fit elsewhere. The Pub is setup for these type of questions.

Really? I thought it was set up for discussing nightlife, pubs, entertainment, etc. in Thailand. That's what the forum description says anyway.

We had a situation a couple of years or so ago where the pub became a dumping ground for word games, trivia and other threads with no real point to them. This resulted in the rapid deterioration of the pub forum until the word game threads were given their own forum. The pubbing forum has improved as a result, it would be a shame to see it decline again.

Topics in General must be Thai related and must not fit elsewhere. The Pub is setup for these type of questions.

Really? I thought it was set up for discussing nightlife, pubs, entertainment, etc. in Thailand. That's what the forum description says anyway.

We had a situation a couple of years or so ago where the pub became a dumping ground for word games, trivia and other threads with no real point to them. This resulted in the rapid deterioration of the pub forum until the word game threads were given their own forum. The pubbing forum has improved as a result, it would be a shame to see it decline again.

Hmmmm...I'm fairly new here, but this is the description of The Pub:

Thailand is legendary for it's entertainment, both traditional, and modern. Discuss Night Life, restaurants, bars, music, movies, concerts, expat life, fun, or just a chat about everything Thailand. Because we live life to the fullest here!

But, respect your comments for sure! What do you recommend then? Just close them in General? As you probably know, this is really being done by just a few members. One of which we have had a discussion with....

Hmmmm...I'm fairly new here, but this is the description of The Pub:

Thailand is legendary for it's entertainment, both traditional, and modern. Discuss Night Life, restaurants, bars, music, movies, concerts, expat life, fun, or just a chat about everything Thailand. Because we live life to the fullest here!

Exactly, and none of the subjects "do you wear socks. You've been a good boy. Why don't Thai people understand irony? Do you get distracted while driving? Average penis size." fit in with that description. It also clearly states there that topics in the forum must be Thai related.

But, respect your comments for sure! What do you recommend then? Just close them in General? As you probably know, this is really being done by just a few members. One of which we have had a discussion with....

My recommendation is to let them run in General - after all the title of that forum is "General Topics" and it has no description. Therefore, surely it is the best place for anything of a "general", non-specific nature?

If the consensus among the mods is that the topic isn't suitable for general, but doesn't need to be closed, then that probably highlights the need for a new "chat and discussion", or similar, forum for these to be moved into. But it doesn't seem appropriate to move them into a forum which is meant for discussing pubs and night-life in Thailand.

Edited by dantilley

Another additional problem seems to be people who don't actually look around the forum and notice there is an internet forum or a Chiang Mai forum or a Visas to other countries forum and just post everything in General. Since this seems to be an ongoing issue, there seems to be no way to solve this other than to move the topic to the correct forum.

Silliness belongs in Pub and some of these topics, while not trolling are just silly and don't really need to be in General.

I moved a number of them to the pub as I see they fit in the 'expat life' part of the description.

Some of them probably warrant closing as they are clearly trollish. But given there seems to be an interest by the readership and it's mostly harmless trolling hence I let them run.

We do try to accommodate the wishes of our members and I suppose 9 pages worth of replies indicate interest :)

Cheers

Another additional problem seems to be people who don't actually look around the forum and notice there is an internet forum or a Chiang Mai forum or a Visas to other countries forum and just post everything in General. Since this seems to be an ongoing issue, there seems to be no way to solve this other than to move the topic to the correct forum.

Silliness belongs in Pub and some of these topics, while not trolling are just silly and don't really need to be in General.

One thing I just noticed is that General does not have a description under it's heading like the other forums do. I'm talking about the main "forum" page. Maybe if you put a one liner there that says topics must be Thai related, it would help? Maybe? :(

Fair enough - it would be a shame if the pub became overrun with these kind of threads though, which is my main concern really. A few mindless topics here and there don't do too much harm though.

I agree. Its just most lately is seems to be too much and not in keeping with the usual pub style topics that's all. Just thought it should be commented upon as its one thing to have unwanted topics in general (or wherever else) and another to be disrupting the pub forum in the process of dealing with them.

Its not a criticims of our excellent mods more a heads up on the effect this has elsewhere on the forum.

:jap:

I've asked some of the other mods to help out here as we are having a discussion regarding this right now. Seems a few members are initiating a bunch of "interesting" topics. Some of which are only vaguely related to Thailand. Like, do you wear socks. You've been a good boy. Why don't Thai people understand irony? Do you get distracted while driving? Average penis size.

Sorry, but these just don't belong in General. Topics in General must be Thai related and must not fit elsewhere. The Pub is setup for these type of questions. It's more open and less heavily moderated. Have fun!

We can for sure close them, but then the op's will be upset with that. So, to allow them to "run", we put them in the pub.

While you are unhappy with these being moved, other members are unhappy with these being opened:

http://www.thaivisa....-question-like/

It's a thankless job us mods have! :(

You forgot , where to by rice in USA. :whistling: