Gadhafi: You'll Pay

webfact

Gadhafi: you'll pay

By Agencies

Tripoli, Libya

30151369-01.jpg

Multinational force pounds strongman's defences, tanks with missiles and bombs; Angered Gadhafi says he has armed millions with weapons; Government troops halt march on rebel HQ Benghazi

Mu'ammar Gadhafi vowed a "long war" against the multinational force after air strikes and dozens of cruise missiles were launched, shaking the Libyan capital with the sound of explosions and anti-aircraft fire.

State television said 48 people died in the US and European strikes.

After a barrage of attacks by sea-launched Tomahawk cruise missiles on Saturday, an array of US warplanes - including several air force B-2 stealth bombers - followed with a coordinated assault using precision-guided bombs yesterday.

The planes included F-15s and F-16s, Navy EA-18G electronic warfare planes and Marine attack jets. British Tornado and Typhoon jets as well as French Rafale and Mirage fighters also took part in the air strikes.

Dozens of Gadhafi's military vehicles, including tanks, were destroyed in coalition strikes west of the rebel bastion of Benghazi.

Gadhafi said he would not let up on the rebel-held city of Benghazi and added his government had opened up weapons depots to millions of Libyans, who were now armed with "automatic weapons, mortars and bombs". State TV said Gadhafi's supporters were converging on airports as human shields.

"We promise you a long war," he said.

Despite anger at the Western military action, there will be no retaliation on commercial flights around the Mediterranean, Gadhafi's son Saif al-Islam said.

US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Michael Mullen said the immediate goal of the coalition is to protect Libyan civilians with a no-fly zone, not necessarily to oust Gadhafi. He added that the Libyan strongman's forces are "no longer marching on Benghazi".

In Benghazi, the rebel capital and first city to fall to the civilian uprising that began on February 15, people said the strikes happened just in time. Libyan government tanks and troops had reached the edges of the city.

Russia, meanwhile, called for an end to "indiscriminate use of force" by foreign states, the foreign ministry said in a statement yesterday.

China and India expressed regret over the air strikes.

The Arab League criticised the strikes, a week after urging the United Nations to slap a no-fly zone on the oil-rich North African state.

The African Union's panel on Libya called for an "immediate stop" to all attacks.

After taking a cautious stance on armed intervention in Libya's civil war, US President Barack Obama ordered the attacks, citing the threat posed to civilians by Gadhafi's forces and a UN-mandated no-fly zone endorsed by Arab countries. "We are answering the calls of a threatened people. And we are acting in the interests of the United States and the world," Obama said.

"As I said yesterday, we will not - I repeat - we will not deploy any US troops on the ground," he said.

The British government said it was taking "every precaution" to avoid killing civilians in its attacks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-21

The Arab League criticised the strikes, a week after urging the United Nations to slap a no-fly zone on the oil-rich North African state.

Very odd ? :huh:

Whilst I know that the Arab League does not necessarily speak for the Arab people they govern any more than Gaddafi speaks for all teh people of Libya .....

I am still surprised that the Arab League reps did not realize this would be the result of their urgings for a no fly zone.

Whilst I know that the Arab League does not necessarily speak for the Arab people they govern any more than Gaddafi speaks for all teh people of Libya .....

I am still surprised that the Arab League reps did not realize this would be the result of their urgings for a no fly zone.

Why the retraction by the Arab League? Seems like a case of buyers remorse.

Why the retraction by the Arab League? Seems like a case of buyers remorse.

The Arab League has been studying politics 101 as taught by Senator John Kerry.

"I was for it before I was against it." B)

Early in the game, this guy was a CIA recruit as was, Sadaam, Noriega, Bin Laden, etc.etc..etc...A strange pattern here.

Makes sense to me, "you play with fire you will eventually get burnt." The shrinks have terms for both parties in this circle jerk, while those who are on the spit are the ones who pay the ultimate price.

Appears the Arab League is a hypocritical, two-faced, whine & complain, get someone else to do the dirty/hard work, etc., type organization. Seems to fit a long running pattern for that part of the world.

Back in the 80's he made the same promise and carried it out by firing two missiles at a US Coast Guard Station in IT on Lampadousa. They missed :lol: Maybe after that he has taken some action to improve upon his abilities. It is sad when your countries Navy in it's first sea land battle engages a small US Coast Guard outpost and you lose. :cheesy: I guess this would explain the reason the French are willing this time.:lol: Just kidding - Love the French.

post-48093-0-36989200-1300702075_thumb.j

The Arab League has been studying politics 101 as taught by Senator John Kerry.

"I was for it before I was against it." B)

Clinton stressed that the United States was looking at "every option imaginable" for the next steps on Libya, but said a proposed a no-fly zone over the country may not be the best one.

"I want to remind people that we had a no-fly zone over Iraq. It did not prevent Saddam Hussein from slaughtering people on the ground and it did not get him out of office," Clinton said.

"We had a no-fly zone and then we had 78 days of bombing in Serbia. It did not get Milosevic out of office. It did not get him out of Kosovo until we put troops on the ground with our allies," she added. "I really want people to understand what we are looking at."

WASHINGTON | Thu Mar 10

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/03/10/uk-libya-usa-clinton-idUKTRE7295CH20110310

Appears the Arab League is a hypocritical, two-faced, whine & complain, get someone else to do the dirty/hard work, etc., type organization. Seems to fit a long running pattern for that part of the world.

His comments are politically motivated as he is on the Egeptian ballot for prez and his term in the arab league is ending. His views are hardly representative of the majority. /