Pattay Music Festival

toenail

Every year when the city holds its annual Pattaya Music Festival I start grumbling to myself about the traffic jams and the stalls set up along Beach Road; however, (as in every year) once I stroll out and take in the music and sights, I always think it is a great event since it draws hundreds of Thais into the city to enjoy themselves. There are all kinds of food, drink stalls to please anyones budget and the entertainment is FREE. Last night I attended the open stage near Hard Rock (located on the big empty lot between Beach Rd. and 2nd Rd.) and the place was packed (famous Isaan singers). The stage, lighting, sound system was top notch - it would match up to any big city in Europe or in North America. Every year, the entertainment set up seems to get better and more baht is spent on the infrastructure.

I realize that this event is geared for the Thais, but it would be nice if they had a "farang" stage area where they could bring in groups from Europe, Russia, and North American to play some of their songs for the "farang" tourist. Every year the music festival has a few Japanese and Korean band groups, but they are geared for the 25 yr under crowd. Nothing (that I know of) for the farang tourist who is older than 30 years.

By the way, I hope all the zillions of stall renters made some profit.

"Korean band groups, but they are geared for the 25 yr under crowd. Nothing (that I know of) for the farang tourist who is older than 30 years."

I would disagree :)

I went there from Bangkok for couple of hours just to see performance of Son Dambi. And I am 32 yr and farang.

I went 2 nights last year and am well above 32! Sek Loso played as well as some other great Thai rockers. Didn't make it this year....too lazy...

But for sure, lots and lots and lots of very young Thai folk. Well, this is Thailand, isn't it?

OP: have you tried the jazz fest in Hua Hin? It's pretty good. And right on the sand....

You should have gone on Friday night when some of the best Thai rock bands were on. Excellent atmosphere.

Flure, who I hadnt heard before, did a great version of The Beatles Across the Universe dedicated tor the folks in Japan. Singer has a great rock voice.

Anyone who likes franz Ferdinand would love Slot Machine . Richman Toy have an awesome guitarist, Tattoo Color are a bit commercial but can also rock when they have too. ( Both are on the Smallroom record label, which is the Bakery Music of this decade - bands have artistic control and record label doesnt fleece them - pretty much the opposite of GMM etc )

Modern Dog headlined and openend with one of their first hits from 17 years ago. Near the end of one song the singer gave the mike to a farang guy in the audience to finish a song - singing in Thai. He got one of the biggest cheers of the night.

Well too bad whoever was in charge forgot to have the street stalls taken down the day after the concert

Just when you think you have seen it all something even more stupid comes along in Pattaya

There was a horrible traffic jam on Beach Road at 8 PM last night ( Mon 21 Mar) because the traffic had to merge down to one lane because the empty stall "tents" were still blocking the road

At 8,000 to 10,000 THB for a stall rental one would think that someone would be responsible for taking them down, but NO, This is Thailand