Live Theater In Chiang Mai

bhatmasterson

For those who appreciate live theatrical performances, here is a chance to see one and at the same time support our young people in the performing arts.

Broadway Musical Magic Comes to CMIS

The Chiang Mai International School Fine Arts department will stage Broadway Musical Magic, an evening of Broadway show tunes with a little drama and dance thrown in for good measure.

Broadway Musical Magic is an idea concocted by theater director and drama teacher Stephan Turner. Who says, "After considering the level of available talent this year, I could not come up with a single piece that would have allowed me to display the diverse talents of all my drama students and others who auditioned. So, I started searching for a way to make them all stars. I decided to take a risk and try something exciting and completely different. A medley of Broadway show tunes spiced up a bit with a few acting scenes and dance numbers. I'm in suspense as to how it will all turn out. But it certainly will be interesting. That's for sure!"

"The rehearsal process has been quite different as well. A journey filled with all the usual ups and downs, highs and lows that come with any new project. Especially, one that didn't start out as a scripted and nicely laid out play, but one that's literally writing it self as we go, as far as context, order and style of presentation. Add to this the fact that most of our students are involved in a number of other after school activities, one can begin to appreciate the degree of difficulty involved in getting everyone together at the same time, which made scheduling regular rehearsals a logistical nightmare. In the end, I think we will be able to pull it off."

Broadway Musical Magic will take you on a journey to the Austrian Alps where, "The hills are alive with the Sound of Music." To the Apollo Theater where a group of young women, known as the "Dreamgirls", make it to the big time only to come crashing down and, as a result, become stronger. Finally, you'll experience the trials and tribulations of a group of talented young high school students as they seek fame and fortune at the most famous performing arts school in the USA, P.A. , The High School of the Performing Arts Academy in New York City. The school that was depicted in the Broadway musical and motion picture Fame.

The show opens on March 25th with an evening performance at 7:00 pm. Additional performances will be held on March 26 at I:00 pm and 7:00 pm with a final performance on the 27th at 1:30 pm.

Please contact the Chiang Mai International School office at 053- 306-234 for additional information or reservations.