Thai Gf Tourist Visa Australia , Difficult?

easy ?good question :-)

No long waiting, not being treated upfront like a prostitute, just in good faith as a welcome tourist, willing to spend money.

Don't think about it but I assume I as EC passport holder get visa on arrival, if any.

Correct??

I have taken my g/f to Melbourne twice thus far....

For her it is a very simple process as she has the following....

a good job ( 10 years )

a house mortgage

a letter from her employer

a letter from me

The embassy doesnt care what land she owns or actually how much she has in the bank, what they do care about is her reason for returning to Thailand by a certain date, she needs to demonstrate clear and concise reasons for returning home, seriously that is what they are looking for, if she can show that the visa takes 2 days as my girls does and no problems what so ever....If she can't do the above IMO it will be difficult but not impossible....

A friend who has been dating a BG for 8 mths applied , well she applied, 4 times and was knocked back until he put up a surity deposit and took a non refundable return ticket into Bangkok Embassy, so as I say it's not impossible

Cheers

a good job ( 10 years )

a house mortgage

a letter from me

The embassy doesnt care what land she owns or actually how much she has in the bank, what they do care about is her reason for returning to Thailand by a certain date, she needs to demonstrate clear and concise reasons for returning home, seriously that is what they are looking for, if she can show that the visa takes 2 days as my girls does and no problems what so ever....If she can't do the above IMO it will be difficult but not impossible....

A friend who has been dating a BG for 8 mths applied , well she applied, 4 times and was knocked back until he put up a surity deposit and took a non refundable return ticket into Bangkok Embassy, so as I say it's not impossible

Cheers

There is no provision for a 'surety deposit' unless it is a sponsored family visitor (subclass 679) then the sponsor must be a recognised family member of the applicant. Also having a non-refundable ticket carries no weight whatsoever with regards to a tourist visa application.

a good job ( 10 years )

a house mortgage

a letter from me

Cheers

I thought it took 5-6 working days to get the tourist visa.

Reason to return is a big thing but can be covered by a letter of invite, land ownership helps too, but they also want to know that she will have adequate funds available for the trip.....this can be provided by you but you will need to show proof of income and fill in the Additional funds provider question on the form.

Don't think about it but I assume I as EC passport holder get visa on arrival, if any.

Correct??

Incorrect. All visitors to Australia with the exception of Australian and New Zealand citizens require a visa before departing for Australia. EU nationals qualify for an eVisitor visa, a form of Electronic Travel Authority. An eVisitor visa can be applied for online for free of charge and if granted, your passport details will accessed electronically when you arrive - there is no need for a stamp or sticker in your passport. It is valid for multiple entries into Australia over a twelve month period, with each entry limited to 3 months. It is for tourism purposes only. The recommendation is to apply online at least 2 weeks before departure.

• 1 month later...

i am in the same boat. i've been here 6 weeks. i should have acted sooner. i now have about 15 days left until i return to australia... so i have 2 weeks to sort this out.

"Reason to return is a big thing but can be covered by a letter of invite, land ownership helps too, but they also want to know that she will have adequate funds available for the trip.....this can be provided by you but you will need to show proof of income and fill in the Additional funds provider question on the form."

is this true and if so what form and what visa (subclass or whatever) are we talking about? i want to download/see the form.

because if that's the only thing stopping me i can probably organise a job tommorow to put in that box.

also she has land to the value of 700,000THB. 20,000THB in the bank and if its a sure thing will also have a return ticket flying to aus and back to thai...

only thing that bothers me is the comment " Also having a non-refundable ticket carries no weight whatsoever with regards to a tourist visa application."

also no doubt it has a bit to do with the officer you are dealing with in the office?!

i will call you tommorow "thai visa express"

i am in the same boat. i've been here 6 weeks. i should have acted sooner. i now have about 15 days left until i return to australia... so i have 2 weeks to sort this out.

"Reason to return is a big thing but can be covered by a letter of invite, land ownership helps too, but they also want to know that she will have adequate funds available for the trip.....this can be provided by you but you will need to show proof of income and fill in the Additional funds provider question on the form."

is this true and if so what form and what visa (subclass or whatever) are we talking about? i want to download/see the form.

because if that's the only thing stopping me i can probably organise a job tommorow to put in that box.

also she has land to the value of 700,000THB. 20,000THB in the bank and if its a sure thing will also have a return ticket flying to aus and back to thai...

only thing that bothers me is the comment " Also having a non-refundable ticket carries no weight whatsoever with regards to a tourist visa application."

also no doubt it has a bit to do with the officer you are dealing with in the office?!

i will call you tommorow "thai visa express"

sikishrory, below is my reply to your question and your PM to me.

Any visitor to Australia must have adequate funds, or access to adequate funds for the purpose and duration of their proposed stay in Australia. What amount equates to adequate funds is really determined by what the applicants stated purpose of visit and duration to Australia is. To give an example a visitor intending to visit Australia where their stated purpose is to spend 6 weeks scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef would typically need more funds than a person visiting and staying with a friend where accommodation is provided.

As stated above the adequate funds criteria can be satisfied if the applicant has access to adequate funds. Financial and accommodation assistance can be provided by another person. This is presented to DIAC in the form of a letter of support (commonly referred to as an invitation). Whilst there is no legal obligation to provide a letter of support, and in fact even provide the support offered, DIAC therefore needs to see that at the very least a moral obligation exists to provide the support offered. Easy example, if a letter of support is offered where the sponsor has only known the applicant for a very short time, then it will not carry any weight and be of no use in satisfying the adequate funds criteria.

A well prepared letter of support will include ALL of the following and include supporting documentation to back it up.

Circumstances of the Sponsor (This demonstrates that you have the ability to provide the support offered)

Details of your current employment, income, savings and accommodation. The supporting documentation that can be used to evidence this is pretty much self explanatory.

Background (This demonstrates that you have known the applicant for a sufficient period of time so that DIAC can attach weight to your letter of support)

How long you have known the applicant. This must be supported by evidence, such as photos, phone records, emails, visa entry exist stamps etc.

Offer of Support

The full extent of the support you are prepared to offer the applicant. For example, accommodation, financial, airfares etc. On this point having a return ticket booked and paid for just not carry any more weight to an application. My advice, never purchase an ticket before the visa is granted.

If you use the above as a guide you will be able to present a very good letter of support. Remember too, anything you put forward to DIAC, back it up with supporting documentation.

Finally, the application must clearly evidence that the applicants intention is to visit Australia as a genuine visitor only. A genuine visitor is a person whose intention is to visit Australia as a visitor only, not work or study beyond what may be permitted by their visa, and will depart Australia prior to their visa expiring. Note it is the objective circumstances of the applicant that determines genuineness. Some circumstances include, employment, assets and family ties. I could go on at lengths with regards to this point, but in a nutshell anything that would encourage an applicant to depart Australia prior to their visa expiring should be put forward to DIAC in support of the application.

One last point, you state that you want the visa in two weeks. If it is worth anything, don't rush the application. I have seen more refusal notices from people who rushed applications and presented garbage to DIAC that I could wall paper my house with. A well prepared application takes time.

Good Luck

Bridge

Thanks for the above "Bridge" that's a useful summary, I have taken the liberty of saving it as a document for my own use as it seems pretty generic, you're going to lose customers if you give away too much information like this. :rolleyes:

I'm a Brit and have been living with my girlfriend in Bangkok for the last four years, I'm assuming that providing evidence of our relationship and accomodation would negate the need for emails and the like. I'm also assuming that as a girlfriend of a Brit it might it might be easier for her to get a visa rather than that of an Aussie as the pull factor is removed, providing, of course, she is able to prove that the trip is affordable and that she is likely to return home.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the above "Bridge" that's a useful summary, I have taken the liberty of saving it as a document for my own use as it seems pretty generic, you're going to lose customers if you give away too much information like this. :rolleyes:

I'm a Brit and have been living with my girlfriend in Bangkok for the last four years, I'm assuming that providing evidence of our relationship and accomodation would negate the need for emails and the like. I'm also assuming that as a girlfriend of a Brit it might it might be easier for her to get a visa rather than that of an Aussie as the pull factor is removed, providing, of course, she is able to prove that the trip is affordable and that she is likely to return home.

Thanks again.

theoldgit,

Correct as you have been living with your girlfriend it would be pretty unreasonable to expect that you would have emails correspondence between the two of you to evidence contact.

The point that I was trying to make in my post, is that it is of paramount important to evidence (supporting documentation)in a letter of support how long you have known your girlfriend. This allows DIAC to attach weight to a letter of support and therefore satisfy the adequate funds criteria. Without this DIAC will not attach any weight and the support offered will be of no benefit in satisfying the adequate funds criteria and the application will be refused. From my experience this is the area where most applications fail.

As for whether it is easier for a Thai girl to get a visa if traveling with a Brit boyfriend. My response to this is that you could put forward a solid argument that there is no risk of overstaying based on the fact that the applicant (Thai girl) does not have any network of family or friends in Australia and is traveling with her Brit boyfriend who has provided a comprehensive letter of support (see above).