Using Ups With Apple

tomat

I am helping a friend decide which UPS to buy to use with his Apple desktop, modem/router and some external hard drives. I have no clue about Apple, there I said it :)

All the APC units have only IEC plugs available on the back, and since Apple computers don't use IEC plugs, how does one go about using the APC UPS series with Apple computers?

I don't think there is anything strange about the plugs used on Apple computers. My Mac comes from Canada but my UPS was bought in Thailand.

I simply bought a UPS at a computer store in the new Bangkok immigration building, very handy! It has a standard electrical socket on the back. Plug UPS into the wall, plug extension lead into the UPS, plug Mac and drives into the UPS. Simple. Saved my bacon many times.

I am aware of the models that come with regular power plugs on the back, the problem is that those are the low-end models and less known brands. I am after an APC model, something like this one: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=br800i and if you look at the output plugs on the back, they are all IEC plugs. Is there some sort of adapter from IEC to regular power plugs?

A quick google would suggest that the socket on the back of an iMac (for example) is a standard IEC C13 connection. Take the power cord with you when you go to buy a UPS and pickup a new cord to match that can go between the UPS and the Mac.