Cost Of Living In Pattaya

cedd82

You totally missed the point. Let me put it another way. In the 70's it was a fishing village.

You can try as much as you like to twist the plot using bogus statistics, but Pattaya is advancing at an amazing rate in all levels of accommodation.

I think it is you who missed the point. Yes, there are more hotels today than there ever have been, but the proportion of 5star rooms has not increased compared to 20 years ago. It is extremely small and, apparently, decreasing. There are more condos today also, and not many of them are 5star either, even if they do ask 5star prices.

I'm well aware of your point.

It will be a big job to check on the validity of your assessment but why not give it a go....

What was the percentage of 5 star rooms to non-5 star rooms in 1975? Then please give me stats for 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2010. We're only interested in hotels and we need the total number of rooms.

While you're compiling these stats bear in mind that the number of 5 star hotels will vary depending on different assessments of star ratings.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their a la carte menu is pretty good too but it is not cheap.

their printed à la carte menu is indeed excellent and they hand it out (temporarily) for free :whistling:

The ''not so cozy'' barn style ambiance is also free.

The laughter of the other nouveau riche diners, is also delightful, and free, of course.

You totally missed the point. Let me put it another way. In the 70's it was a fishing village.

You can try as much as you like to twist the plot using bogus statistics, but Pattaya is advancing at an amazing rate in all levels of accommodation.

I think it is you who missed the point. Yes, there are more hotels today than there ever have been, but the proportion of 5star rooms has not increased compared to 20 years ago. It is extremely small and, apparently, decreasing. There are more condos today also, and not many of them are 5star either, even if they do ask 5star prices.

I'm well aware of your point.

It will be a big job to check on the validity of your assessment but why not give it a go....

What was the percentage of 5 star rooms to non-5 star rooms in 1975? Then please give me stats for 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2010. We're only interested in hotels and we need the total number of rooms.

While you're compiling these stats bear in mind that the number of 5 star hotels will vary depending on different assessments of star ratings.e

Let me get my calculator out. Huummmmmm, first, "20 years ago" does not mean 1975 (which would be 36 years ago). I think, without question. the number of 5 star hotel rooms has not increased much in 20 years. There has been a construction explosion of "prison-like" condos, and that makes me wonder how many builders actively search for an architect who is an expert on prison design :)

Let me get my calculator out. Huummmmmm, first, "20 years ago" does not mean 1975 (which would be 36 years ago). I think, without question. the number of 5 star hotel rooms has not increased much in 20 years. There has been a construction explosion of "prison-like" condos, and that makes me wonder how many builders actively search for an architect who is an expert on prison design :)

Thanks for the math lesson, but my original post on the topic made reference to Pattaya being a fishing village 30 years ago. But using your time frame reference (20 years), I think, without question, you're wrong about increase of 5 star hotel rooms....but let's not jump to conclusions. When Darrel comes up with the statistical facts we can make a better assessment.

Edited by tropo

If you want figures so badly you can produce them yourself as you seem so certain that Pattaya is full of 5star hotels. Everyone else who doesn't have rose-tinted glasses on knows full well that this is not the case. You only need to walk around town with your eyes open to see it.

Pattaya is not full of 5star hotels. It is full of cheap hotels of the 3,2,1,0star variety, not to mention cheap condos and cheap town housing.

If ever you win the lottery I suggest that you take a trip to a real 5star destination and report back on the differences.

If you want figures so badly you can produce them yourself as you seem so certain that Pattaya is full of 5star hotels. Everyone else who doesn't have rose-tinted glasses on knows full well that this is not the case. You only need to walk around town with your eyes open to see it.

Pattaya is not full of 5star hotels. It is full of cheap hotels of the 3,2,1,0star variety, not to mention cheap condos and cheap town housing.

If ever you win the lottery I suggest that you take a trip to a real 5star destination and report back on the differences.

I don't need the figures, you do, because you're the one dreaming up stats to prove your assertions.

When did I say Pattaya was full of 5 star hotels? I'm merely stating that the number of them is ever increasing. In any major tourist city there is a spectrum of hotels covering all budgets. This is nothing unique to Pattaya.

I'm not sure if it will fit your idea of being a "real 5 star destinations", but without winning the lottery I actually lived beach front in Central Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia for 20 years, from 1984 until 2004. It is the biggest tourist resort city in Australia and boasts many 5 star hotels, including most of the 5 star international hotel chains. Just as in Pattaya, there are plenty of lower star hotels.

Perhaps you could report on your own experience of "real 5 star destinations". Perhaps you'll find a city where just about every hotel is 5 star.

Edited by tropo

that IS value for money. You cannot expect to get the same feast as at the Dusit buffet, but you pay only 100 Baht. And those buffets exist and they are all you can eat. Yes, I am in the fortunate position that I do not have to eat there and for me food has a higher priority than for others. Add a little more money and you can have ok food anywhere in Pattaya. Bei Anton in Nakluea for instance, 180 Baht I think it was. Not too bad. Considering the price great value for money. And in this category Pattaya is unbeatable!

in the high end category there is a place in Pattaya which (i think) is unbeatable. Hilton dinner buffet 700 Baht, on fridays (focus on seafood) 800 Baht.

daylight robery, nothing in Thailand should be priced like that or anywhere near it, fools and their money

You think 700 baht is outrageously priced! You having a laugh aren't you? Or you are living in the past or you don't have a pot to piss in.

Put it in perspective, it is a little over 20 bucks Australian and Pattaya being a tourist destination will inevitably charge more as do all tourist destinations around the world do. Most people would be happy to pay 700 baht for a good buffet and that includes many Thais who I have seen eating at these so called expensive buffets and restaurants.

Surfers Paradise is a dump ----- and only suitable for people with more money than sense ------ in fact the place should be quarantined, fumigated, and then given back to the aboriginals.

Absolute nonsense, but because it's a bit off topic we'll leave it at that. What's your opinion of Pattaya, and the cost of living there?

Surfers Paradise is a dump ----- and only suitable for people with more money than sense ------ in fact the place should be quarantined, fumigated, and then given back to the aboriginals.

Absolute nonsense, but because it's a bit off topic we'll leave it at that. What's your opinion of Pattaya, and the cost of living there?

Obviously you never stayed at the Versace Palazzo on the Gold Coast..

:lol:

Not scientific but I went to Agoda.com. 3 pages out of 11 were 4-5* hotels. About 25%.

The reason being that most cheap places dont advertise on hotel booking sites, and so the figures on such sites are automatically skewed towards more expensive places.

4star doesnt count either.

I don't need the figures, you do, because you're the one dreaming up stats to prove your assertions.

When did I say Pattaya was full of 5 star hotels? I'm merely stating that the number of them is ever increasing. In any major tourist city there is a spectrum of hotels covering all budgets. This is nothing unique to Pattaya.

I'm not sure if it will fit your idea of being a "real 5 star destinations", but without winning the lottery I actually lived beach front in Central Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia for 20 years, from 1984 until 2004. It is the biggest tourist resort city in Australia and boasts many 5 star hotels, including most of the 5 star international hotel chains. Just as in Pattaya, there are plenty of lower star hotels.

Perhaps you could report on your own experience of "real 5 star destinations". Perhaps you'll find a city where just about every hotel is 5 star.

You said that "Pattaya is a 5 star destination simply because there are 5 star hotels there". This is incorrect as I have pointed out. 5star destination does not mean a place that has a 5star hotel, it means a place which has a preponderance of 5star hotels. This is clearly not the case in Pattaya. If you have figures to support your position, please state them. Or perhaps you believe that Pattaya is also an international Fish&Chip destination, as it does have a couple of F&C restaurants?

I agree that the number of 5star rooms is increasing. Pattaya would be in a very bad way if it wasnt. However, the proportion of 5star rooms is clearly not increasing. Most new short-term accommodation is of the 0-3 star variety. Also many condos.

I'm afraid that Surfer's Paradise does not spring to mind as an international 5star destination.

You might like to try the Maldives as being somewhere with a preponderance of luxury accommodation. Or Dubai. Also various towns around the northern Med. And some parts of the Caribbean. A couple of US towns, not many. Some skiiing destinations in France/Switzerland.

All of those attract large numbers of 5star tourists, who stay in 5star places. Even Phuket is a step up from Pattaya, though not a big step.

Personally I dislike 5star resorts and the people who go to them, but that is not relevant.

Let's get back on topic please. The OP asked whether it is possible to live in Pattaya at 20,000 Baht a month.

The answer is yes, there are lots of people living on this amount and less.

The OP also said that he is not planning a lavish lifestyle. Needless to say at 20,000 Baht a month this is ruled out. Hence, the discussion how many 5-star hotels Pattaya has and whether they are...andsoonandsoforth belong into a different thread that has yet to be started.

cool.gif