Help With A Few Translations

longway

I am drilling translations from flash cards and I come accoss a number of translations that puzzle me in the way they are constructed. I usually translate them diffrently from the answer on the flashcard. I give some examples below. The first translation is the flashcard translation, the second version is the one that comes to me the naturally when I see the sentence in english.

Are both right? Or are there reason why the sentence should be structured in the form given?

I am worrried about my kids.

pom bpen huang luuk pom

Why not

pom huang giawgap luuk pom

This shirt is very suitable for you.

Seua dtua nii mosom gap khun maak.

Why not

Seua dtua nii mosom samrap khun maak.

You have the best opportunity to get this job.

khun mii ogaat dai ngaan nii dii tii sut

Why not

khun dai ngaan nii mii ogaat dii tii sut

Thanks.

I am worried about my kids.

pom bpen huang luuk pom

Why not

pom huang giawgap luuk pom

Because the correct translation of "be worried about" is เป็นห่วง bpen huang, not ห่วงเกี่ยวกับ. That's just the way it is.

This shirt is very suitable for you.

Seua dtua nii mosom gap khun maak.

Why not

Seua dtua nii mosom samrap khun maak.

This is because the correct preposition to use with เมาะสม mosom is กับ gap, not สำหรับ samrap. Again, this is just how it is.

You have the best opportunity to get this job.

khun mii ogaat dai ngaan nii dii tii sut

Why not

khun dai ngaan nii mii ogaat dii tii sut

Because "khun dai ngaan nii mii ogaat dii tii sut" says, "You get this job have the best opportunity", which isn't what you want to say here.

smile.gif

This leads to a slightly off-topic question, (which the O/P may still find of marginal value) :whistling: . ..

As a non-native Thai speaker; how do you know which preposition between สำหรับ and เพื่อ (the word "for") to use in which sentence constructs? And also how do you know when to use กับ (with) instead of for?

It is just something you glean via practice and usage or is there an actual thai grammar rule which dictates their use?

Sorry again for the off-topic post. ... ;)

This leads to a slightly off-topic question, (which the O/P may still find of marginal value) :whistling: . ..

As a non-native Thai speaker; how do you know which preposition between สำหรับ and เพื่อ (the word "for") to use in which sentence constructs? And also how do you know when to use กับ (with) instead of for?

It is just something you glean via practice and usage or is there an actual thai grammar rule which dictates their use?

Sorry again for the off-topic post. ... ;)

I would say สำหรับ is usually followed by a noun, perhaps a gerund- ห้องสำหรับการสอน a room for teaching, or a common noun or pronoun- สำหรับเธอ for you.

เพื่อ can mean the same as in ทำงานเพื่อลูก- working for the children, but I think it's often used as in 'in order to' so it is often followed by a verb ผู้ควบคุมจำเป็นต้องปิดเครือข่าย และสถานีงานทั้งหมด เพื่อทำให้ระบบกลับคืนสู่สภาพปกติ- those in charge must close the network and stations down to return the situation to normal

Just want to make a small correction to my above post: เหมาะสม, or "appropriate"/"fitting" is misspelled as เมาะสม. Sorry!

And while I'm here, I'll put in my two cents on the usage of prepositions that Todd mentions above. Just as in English we say "go to Chiang Mai" rather than "go at Chiang Mai", "at home" rather than "in home", and "the same as" rather than "the same to", they're just things you have to get used to through exposure and practice.

Thanks very much for clearing those questions up for me, until now I was reluctant to accept the given translations and it led me to question the form of quite number of translations and hindered my progress, now I know I just have to get used to it and hopefully will get a better feel for the usage of words like samrap, phea, gap, not to even mention hai.

:jap:

Here's another one I dont quite get.

The doctor will operate on his brain. (How do they come up with these?)

The given translation is:

Mor ja paa-dtat sa-mong hai kao.

How does hai fit into this sentence? Its as if it is saying

'The doctor operated on his brain for him'

Whats the point of having hai in there, does it just sound nicer like this? I hope you guys can help me again. Its appreciated.

Whats the point of having hai in there, does it just sound nicer like this? I hope you guys can help me again. Its appreciated.

hai in this sentence make more focus on him (man) not the brain .

if it's like

Mor ja paa-dtat sa-mong kao.

this may have alike meaning or even opposite . up to whose listening.

hai or for , give a softer tone.

example

why are you doing this? tamm mai khun tam babb nee

1 . I want to do it . pom yak tam

this answer might get mistranslate into the way like "I want to do it , so what"

2. I want to do it for you . pom yak tam hai (hai khun)

on the other hand , this express an emotion to help and more friendly .

hope this help

hai kao = "give him" not "for him", so, the translation should be:

"The doctor gives him a brain operation" :jap:

Yes, the doctor gives him a brain operaion. Why didn't think of that?

Thank you both for your answers. I think its phrased the way it is just because it sounds better like that in thai.

Cleared up another one for me. :)