Musicians Arrested

DavidOxon

have witnessed first hand, the same sad experience in phuket, but as someone has already stated whether its for fun, free etc, it's just not worth the risk, i guess technically if you were to start painting your house, inside or out, the same scenario applies, you're depriving thais work, so where do you draw the line, immigration should stipulate what you can and can't do under current thai law, then it's up to us to consider the risks.

Painting YOUR OWN house would not be a problem. Painting someone else's house (even for free) would be a violation.

it's just absurd

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have witnessed first hand, the same sad experience in phuket, but as someone has already stated whether its for fun, free etc, it's just not worth the risk, i guess technically if you were to start painting your house, inside or out, the same scenario applies, you're depriving thais work, so where do you draw the line, immigration should stipulate what you can and can't do under current thai law, then it's up to us to consider the risks.

Painting YOUR OWN house would not be a problem. Painting someone else's house (even for free) would be a violation.

it's just absurd

Agreed.

Pathetic. With all the "things" that go on in Thailand, the powers that be choose this to tackle? Surely they have more productive things to do.

TheWalkingMan

you are absolutely right - I have just been building a house and have - except for one person - not come across anybody who was not a crook!! The scale of corruption, cheating and dishonesty in this country is beyond believe - and these sad excuses for law enforcement officers have nothing better to do then to arrest a few musicians who are performing for free??

And spare me with answers like "The law is the law" - nobody of the locals gives a dam_n about any law - and even if you try and fight them within the boundaries of the law - they get nasty and threaten you - or worse!

The BIB have been going about the LK area holding meetings with bars saying that that an increase in tea money would help them to look the other way. they are to meat with a certain group at a certain boxing venue tonight.

Wouldn't you love to see all the bars say no more extortion money whatsoever, we'll all close citing police extortion and ye'll get nothing.

Dream on appropriate, dream on. :)

Pathetic. With all the "things" that go on in Thailand, the powers that be choose this to tackle? Surely they have more productive things to do.

TheWalkingMan

you are absolutely right - I have just been building a house and have - except for one person - not come across anybody who was not a crook!! The scale of corruption, cheating and dishonesty in this country is beyond believe - and these sad excuses for law enforcement officers have nothing better to do then to arrest a few musicians who are performing for free??

And spare me with answers like "The law is the law" - nobody of the locals gives a dam_n about any law - and even if you try and fight them within the boundaries of the law - they get nasty and threaten you - or worse!

Completely agree. It's insane. One of the major weaknesses of this country - corruption.

So what's next? If you play at home to entertain your friends and neighbors, is that considered illegal too? And what about foreign musicians who buy studio recording time? Dare anyone hum in the shower, or sing Happy Birthday at a birthday party?

So what's next? If you play at home to entertain your friends and neighbors, is that considered illegal too? And what about foreign musicians who buy studio recording time? Dare anyone hum in the shower, or sing Happy Birthday at a birthday party?

I was thinking about that. Having musicians jamming at someone's home - it would not be in the support of a financial enterprise, i.e. a bar. If people were invited, brought their own food and beverages to share, I don't think that scenario would be a violation. But let's face it, so often here in the LOS, it's what the police or authorities consider a violation that determines whether a violation has occurred.

Yes, this is exactly why Hubby and I won't do any volunteer work such as helping out fragile elderly westerners. Yes, I know that realistically the worst that can happen to people on retiremenbt visas is that we're tossed out of the country, but frankly (like the fragile elderly) we really have nowhere to go. We'd end up living in my brother's basement in Virginia, working as greeters at Walmart while we attempted to save up enough to pay the deposit for an apartment rental.

People on retirement visas should think about their alternatives as they're trying to "make Thailand a better place".

I just don't know what's happening to Chiang Mai - next thing we'll hear about is that farang's are helping old ladies across the road for free.......absolutely outrageous? TIT.

Did anybody remember an old thread about some office guys going out to buy a pen or some kind of small stationary anyway and getting nicked by the Immos because "buying pens" wouldn't be allowed as part of their job description for which they had a work permit? so, just in case, do not help old ladies cross the roads and also remember you can even get cracked down into your own private property while you are having intimate moments with some not remunerated and consenting perfectly healty other adults young ladies..... no jokes (there is more than one thread about these as well), remember, this is Thailand!

I think we are all contravening a Thai law one way or another, just by being here it`s impossible not to.

That's the system and they have us over a barrel.

Just keep in mind that we are tourists according to the authorities, with no statutory rights, only privileges and even those may come at a price or are strictly limited.

Sorry fellas, but that`s the price we pay for leaving our homelands and plonking ourselves in the los.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I don't believe it at all. If very simply explained to the officials they would not have bothered. There are massive immigration violations going on daily, walk into almost any hole in the wall English school and you will find illegal workers, look at most of the eco-projects in Chiang Mai run by people on tourist visas and charging other tourists to stay as well as holding classes. Also a lot of small businesses for example, there is an English couple in my village running an illegal bar.

If immigration truly wanted to crack down on Westerners they could simply take out the black truck and start checking passports for proper visas, I bet they could fill that truck 10 times a day. So, when you say 4 farang musicians were playing at a friends bar who was running a legal business I really doubt that they were arrested unless there is more to the story than that.

If this story is true I will pay for the lawyer.

TheWalkingMan

No

Unless of course you consider the ever so important semi-annual crackdown on the length of schoolgirl skirts detail.

Edited by venturalaw

Painting YOUR OWN house would not be a problem. Painting someone else's house (even for free) would be a violation. Definition:

“ Work ” means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

http://eng.mol.go.th/doe_service01.html

How can a definition of a word be given, by including the word in the definition

Painting YOUR OWN house would not be a problem. Painting someone else's house (even for free) would be a violation. Definition:

“ Work ” means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

http://eng.mol.go.th/doe_service01.html

How can a definition of a word be given, by including the word in the definition

Welcome to the LOS. In fairness, it is a translation and therefore perhaps in the original Thai the word 'work' is not part of the definition. Benefit of the doubt for I do not know.

Maybe painting your own house would be ok. Some years ago in Hawaii I wanted to paint the buildings of our new and used car sales offices.... the regulatory person said we could not do that because they were public buildings.

I think people are expecting different application of local rules/regulations/laws here than their home countries would apply to their local rules/regulations/laws.

MSPain

" Work " means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

http://eng.mol.go.th..._service01.html

Edited by hml367

I don't believe it at all. If very simply explained to the officials they would not have bothered. There are massive immigration violations going on daily, walk into almost any hole in the wall English school and you will find illegal workers, look at most of the eco-projects in Chiang Mai run by people on tourist visas and charging other tourists to stay as well as holding classes. Also a lot of small businesses for example, there is an English couple in my village running an illegal bar.

If immigration truly wanted to crack down on Westerners they could simply take out the black truck and start checking passports for proper visas, I bet they could fill that truck 10 times a day. So, when you say 4 farang musicians were playing at a friends bar who was running a legal business I really doubt that they were arrested unless there is more to the story than that.

If this story is true I will pay for the lawyer.

Why would I lie?

3 are now out.

One has been jailed for visa irregularities

and will be deported at the end of his jail sentence.

If you pm mr with your credit card details I'm sure he'll be very grateful for you paying his legal fees...

David

TheWalkingMan

No

Unless of course you consider the ever so important semi-annual crackdown on the length of schoolgirl skirts detail.

Where can I apply to do voluntary work on that task :D

Unfortunately Thailand has never been colonized by the western world, they might have had more respect for - and cooperation with foreigners then, and less of that 'this is our private island and we rule' attitude. I'm feeling not welcome here anymore but I did 14 years ago when all my friend were Thai friends and we had lot of fun.

TheWalkingMan

No

Where can I apply to do voluntary work on that task :D

Check out this thread. http://www.thaivisa....29#entry2952429 :D

Edited by gotlost

The BIB have been going about the LK area holding meetings with bars saying that that an increase in tea money would help them to look the other way. they are to meat with a certain group at a certain boxing venue tonight.

They must either really like me or be setting me up.

No such conversations in my bar, and if they came I would probably just give them the extra money anyway, it's not worth the hassle for the peanuts they ask for now.

They have been going around warning that a bigwig BIB is in town so shutting early Thursday - Friday would be prudent.

No such conversations in my bar, and if they came I would probably just give them the extra money anyway, it's not worth the hassle for the peanuts they ask for now.

They have been going around warning that a bigwig BIB is in town so shutting early Thursday - Friday would be prudent.

It may depend on which side of the street your on.:lol:

TheWalkingMan

No

That's a worthwhile crackdown and a great job........the thigh's the limit wink.gif

It may depend on which side of the street your on.:lol:

I'm obviously on the right side :blink: