Letter Of Domicile - Has Anybody Managed To Get One?

Hi Folks

I am opening a bank account in Switzerland and they have asked for a certificate of domicile, which from their experience is available in English from Immigration Offices or Police Stations.

I went to my province immigration office who were less than helpful and said they had no idea what I was talking about, couldn't do it etc etc. This may require me to come to Bangkok I guess. Has anybody had such a certificate? If so from where, what docs did you need and how long does it take? I really appreciate any help.

Thanks

don't confuse the good people in the Immigration Office with "domicile". simply as for a "Residence Letter". bring passport size photo!

Thanks, Naam. I was conscious of explaining things clearly and simply, used the term residence etc. Guess they are just a very unhelpful bunch down here, It really was an office full of Victor Meldrews.

don't confuse the good people in the Immigration Office with "domicile". simply as for a "Residence Letter". bring passport size photo!

Thanks, Naam. I was conscious of explaining things clearly and simply, used the term residence etc. Guess they are just a very unhelpful bunch down here, It really was an office full of Victor Meldrews.

A couple of years ago I ask in Bangkok for that letter..they should supply it free..however when I said that it was to open a foriegn bank account, they wouldn't give it. Said 'cannot do' however they will give one for you to get a driving license.

If I recall correctly, on the request form, the letter can be issued for one of three reasons plus 'any other reason'! maybe ask for two letters...one for as driving license application and the one for what you want and see what happens. You could always give the bank the driving license letter I suppose.

Beware if 're going to Chaeng Wattana, there is only one window where they issue the Certificate of Residence. The woman there rejected it outright once, because I had yet to make a 90-day report, and demanded 100 baht (EMS postage was 24 baht) the second time, telling me that it would take three weeks. This was for the purpose of buying a car. It arrived FIVE WEEKS later, postmarked two days before it arrived.

I have no problem forking over a little spare change, but in return, I would like to get decent service, NOT attitude, which I received aplenty.

I ended up paying the US$50 to the Consular Services people in Chiang Mai for the notarized letter. The Thai letter was waiting for me when I returned with my new pickup truck...