Earthquake In Burma/Thailand

webfact

2 strong quakes hit Burma

The quakes struck seconds apart at 8:25 a.m. local time Friday near the Southeast Asian country's borders with Thailand and Laos, about 110 kilometres from the northern Thai city of Chiang Rai.

They were initially measured at 7.0 magnitude, but that was quickly lowered to 6.8.

The U.S. Geological Survey says one quake was shallow, centred 10 kilometres below the surface of the earth, and the other struck at a depth of 230 kilometres, which is exceptionally deep.

The effects could be felt as far away as the Thai capital of Bangkok, where buildings swayed.

Witnesses also said people were evacuated from Hanoi after tremors hit the Vietnam capital.

Your news

Did you feel the earthquake? Share your photos, videos and stories.

Full story:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ke-myanmar.html

What RUBBISH, the quakes did not occur at 8.25 AM, it was about 9.30 PM

Edited by Willeyeam

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 15 minutes ago,another aftershock here in Chiangmai.

Living in a highrise apartment/condo near Wat Jet Yod, off the superhighway.

Nothing big like today when the swiming pool was tossing around!

Interesting thing too was when I came into town fairly late this evening there was another aftershock almost exactly two hours after the first one.Stopped at Sompet Market at the 711, much talk amonst the paper seller guy there watching the powerlines moving without any wind present, didnt actually notice any ground movement,just the cables and the 711 sign was moving.

The wife just showed me a video on a thai site of a security cam in a shop in Mai Sai, stuff falling of the shelves.Was really shaking on the Thai border, at 8:55.

About 15 minutes ago,another aftershock here in Chiangmai.

Living in a highrise apartment/condo near Wat Jet Yod, off the superhighway.

Nothing big like today when the swiming pool was tossing around!

Interesting thing too was when I came into town fairly late this evening there was another aftershock almost exactly two hours after the first one.Stopped at Sompet Market at the 711, much talk amonst the paper seller guy there watching the powerlines moving without any wind present, didnt actually notice any ground movement,just the cables and the 711 sign was moving.

The wife just showed me a video on a thai site of a security cam in a shop in Mai Sai, stuff falling of the shelves.Was really shaking on the Thai border, at 8:55.

He is an interesting article about earthquake safety. I think it could save a lot of lifes....

F.Y.I. Where to be During an Earthquake

Remember that stuff about hiding under a table or standing in a doorway?? Well, this guy has a completely reverse opinion.This is very interesting, different from what we were all taught.

Boy! Is this ever an eye opener. Directly opposite of what we've been taught over the years! I can remember in school being told to, 'duck and cover' or stand in a doorway during an earthquake. This guy's findings is absolutely amazing. I hope we all remember his survival method if we are ever in an earthquake!!!

Please read this and pass the info along to your family members; it could save their lives someday!

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE: 'TRIANGLE OF LIFE'

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the

American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced

rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams

from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a

member of many rescue teams from many countries..

I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I

have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for

simultaneous disasters.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City

during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child

was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by

lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and

I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time

know that the children were told to hide under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings

falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a

space or void next to them. This space is what I call the 'triangle of life'.

The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the

object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that

the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next

time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the 'triangles' you

see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will see,

in a collapsed building.

TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Most everyone who simply 'ducks and covers' WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position.

You should too in an earthquake.. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during

an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake.

If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created.

Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick

buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but

less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply

roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a

much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on The back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out

the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to

a sofa, or large chair.

6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is

killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or

backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different 'moment of

frequency' (they swing separately from the main part of the building).

The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each

other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get

on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly

mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the

stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the

stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when

overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety,

even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible

- It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than

the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the

building the greater the probability that your escape route will be

blocked.

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls

in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened

with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway.. The victims of

the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were

all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or

lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had

been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the

crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had

columns fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices

and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact.

Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

Spread the word and save someone's life... The Entire world is

experiencing natural calamities so be prepared!

'We are but angels with one wing, it takes two to fly'

In 1996 we made a film, which proved my survival methodology to be

correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul , University of

Istanbul Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific

test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten

mannequins did 'duck and cover,' and ten mannequins I used in my

'triangle of life' survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse we

crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the

results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under

directly observable, scientific conditions , relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero percent survival for those doing duck

and cover.

There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people using

my method of the 'triangle of life.' This film has been seen by millions

of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe , and it was seen

in the USA , Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV

nuclear blasts in japan_what effect has this caused to our planet,. last week we had a tsunami in the northern region-now earthquakes throughout thailand

the temp has changed througout thailand instead of hot climate_the temp has dropped significantly to -0 in some provinces,. the polar cap continue to melt which will in turn continue to cause problems throughout the world.

Tremors felt in North, Bangkok

By The Nation

30151765-01.jpg

One killed as Thailand experiences shocks of magnitude-7 quake that hit Burma

Chiang Mai and some parts of Bangkok experienced tremors last night following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake that struck eastern Burma.

The epicentre of the quake, in the hills of Burma bordering Thailand and Laos, was 89km from Thailand's northern province of Chiang Rai, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

One death was reported in Chiang Rai but there were no reports of other casualties or property damage, both in Thailand and elsewhere.

Mobile-phone service was interrupted briefly in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, possibly due to the quake.

The victim was identified as Hong Khamping, 55, a resident in Mae Sai district. He was killed when a wall fell over him.

The quakes began at 8.25pm. The USGS later revised the quake magnitude to 6.8, with the epicentre closer to Chiang Rai, from 111km to 89km, or 772km from Bangkok.

The USGS did not issue any tsunami warning as seismologists said the quake was too far inland to generate a devastating wave in the Indian Ocean, Agence France-Presse reported.

Nation Television reported an aftershock of unknown scale in Chiang Rai, but this has not been confirmed by the USGS or other reliable sources.

Many residents living in high-rise buildings in Bangkok experienced the tremors, with some saying that objects in their residences swayed. The Bangkok areas where the tremors were experienced were Sathon, Ratchaprarob, Rama IV, Bang Na, Sukhumvit and Silom, according to tweets by Sor Wor Phor 91 traffic radio. Another tweet, by a Channel 3 journalist, said people were leaving the Maleenond Building, the channel's headquarters on Rama IV Road.

Hospital personnel and patients in Lampang and Mae Sot districts of Tak province evacuated, and rescue workers and ambulances in Chiang Mai have been put on standby.

Similar accounts also came from Chiang Mai with two residents saying their houses swayed under the impact of the tremors. Some people who shared their personal accounts on social-media websites said they thought they were fainting when the tremors began.

A large number of tourists in Chiang Mai left their hotels and tall buildings, partly in panic, to stay outside. Many of them have not gone back to their rooms at press time.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand said none of the hydropower dams in Thailand have been affected by the quakes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-25

Two dead as strong quake hits Myanmar: officials

by Hla Hla Htay

YANGON, March 24, 2011 (AFP) - A strong earthquake struck Myanmar near the Thai border on Thursday, killing at least two people, including a child, officials from both countries said, with shaking felt across the region.

Terrified residents fled their homes, tall buildings swayed and hospitals and schools were evacuated after tremors spread as far away as Bangkok, almost 800 kilometres (500 miles) from the epicentre, Hanoi and parts of China.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) initially recorded the quake as magnitude 7.0, but later revised it down to 6.8. A powerful aftershock was later measured at magnitude 5.4.

The epicentre was close to the borders with Thailand and Laos and was just 10 kilometres (six miles) deep.

A Myanmar official said a youngster died in a town close to the border with Thailand.

"We received a report that a child was killed in Tachileik town when a building collapsed because of the quake," said the official, who declined to be named.

Another three people were reported to have been injured in a different part of the town, which was close to the epicentre of the quake, and a resident said he could feel a tremor as he spoke to AFP.

"We have to lie down on the ground. The ward authorities are warning the people through loudspeakers to stay outside the buildings," he said.

"We are really afraid to stay inside our houses tonight."

Aid group World Vision said at least one bridge in the region was reported to have been broken by the quake.

"This part of the country is quite mountainous, and, given last week's severe rains, there are also concerns about landslides following this earthquake," Jenny MacIntyre, communications manager with World Vision in Myanmar, said.

Just across the border from Tachileik in Thailand, police in Mae Sai district said a 52-year-old woman was killed after a wall of her house collapsed.

Colonel Thanomsak Yospan, superintendent of Mae Sai district police, told AFP that the woman's home was poorly constructed and did not stand up to the tremor.

Chiang Rai governor Somchai Hatayatanti confirmed the woman's death and said the aftershock felt in the area was "quite serious".

He said efforts were made to evacuate people from tall buildings and he had ordered all patients from Mae Sai District Hospital to be taken to Chiang Rai.

The quake struck 90 kilometres (60 miles) north of Chiang Rai and 235 kilometres (150 miles) north-north-east of Chiang Mai, Thailand's second city and a popular tourist destination. Tall buildings shuddered in Bangkok during the tremor.

In China, villagers around 40 kilometres from the Myanmar border in the southwestern province of Yunnan said buildings swayed for over a minute during the quake, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

More than 350 students and teachers were evacuated from a school in Menghai County, Yunnan, after the building developed cracks, Xinhua said.

People in the southern Chinese city of Nanning, nearly 900 kilometres (550 miles) from the epicentre, fled buildings when they felt tremors, Xinhua said. No casualties were reported in China.

In central Hanoi -- in Vietnam, away from the epicentre -- the quake was felt as a smooth rocking motion that lasted for several seconds.

Some Hanoi residents described fleeing their homes in panic.

Nguyen Thi Hong Hanh, 36, who lives on the 10th floor of a highrise, said her husband noticed their pet fish shaking in their tank.

"We all rushed to the street. All the other people in the apartments also rushed out," she said.

Dang Hoang Anh Thu, 36, said her 17th-floor apartment also shook enough to move pictures on the wall.

"We got out, and saw that all other people in the building were heading downstairs as well," the university teacher said.

The city felt the tremor at about magnitude 5.0, according to Dinh Quoc Van, deputy head of the earthquake monitoring department, though there were no immediate reports of damage.

Officials in Myanmar's capital Naypyidaw said they had clearly felt the quake, while a resident of Mandalay in central Myanmar said the shaking lasted for about five seconds.

The quake comes two weeks after Japan was hit by a monster earthquake, which unleashed a devastating tsunami that left around 27,000 people dead or missing and triggered a crisis at its Fukushima nuclear plant.

No tsunami warning was issued after the Myanmar quake as US seismologists said it was too far inland to generate a devastating wave in the Indian Ocean.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-25

Interesting points about how to survive an earthquake by Doug Copp, but has mixed opinions too, as rumour web site Snopes has this Triangle of Life - Earthquake Survival Tips

At the bottom of that article it points to the following trusted sites;

Redcross

FEMA - Federal Emergency Management Agency

Earthquake Country Alliance

All of which state the Drop, Cover, and Hold On! which Doug Copp says is not good advice.

Doug Copp's advice does make some sense, but I'm not knowledgeable about on this topic to know.

Why has that advice about the 'triangle of life' been so slow in circulating and being put to use for the last fifteen years? For me, it is clear the advice is the best in a building about to collapse. It is obvious, when explained so plainly and it is based on observation in the aftermath of real disasters.

However, most survivors' real earthquake experience (ignoring just a bit of shaking) has been in moderately or severely damaged buildings. In that situation, getting under your desk is maybe the safest action. Protection from falling debris has been the priority. Those unfortunate enough to be in a collapsed building usually do not survive. This guy has had unique experience. From that, he has developed and described a possible improvement in survival rates for the 'building collapse' situation.

Fortunately, the centre of a quake is much smaller than the periphery. The number of damaged buildings easily surpasses the number of collapsed buildings. The number of relatively minor 'damage only' quakes far exceeds the number that cause any collapse. It is unhappily true that one falling brick can kill. How much debris was on the floor of those triangles?

These are just my thoughts based on untested theory his are based on real observation and prediction. I came up with this suggestion because I find it difficult to believe that good advice has been disregarded for so long. Any comments?

Edit: I now see that there are others with different opinions too.

Edited by creck

2 strong quakes hit Burma

The quakes struck seconds apart at 8:25 a.m. local time Friday near the Southeast Asian country's borders with Thailand and Laos, about 110 kilometres from the northern Thai city of Chiang Rai.

They were initially measured at 7.0 magnitude, but that was quickly lowered to 6.8.

The U.S. Geological Survey says one quake was shallow, centred 10 kilometres below the surface of the earth, and the other struck at a depth of 230 kilometres, which is exceptionally deep.

The effects could be felt as far away as the Thai capital of Bangkok, where buildings swayed.

Witnesses also said people were evacuated from Hanoi after tremors hit the Vietnam capital.

Your news

Did you feel the earthquake? Share your photos, videos and stories.

Full story:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ke-myanmar.html

We're between Mae Sai and Chiang Rai-Strong quake felt here-minor damage to unsecured objects-lasted a good 10 minutes with aftershocks for over an hour-casualtys reported in Mae Sai -power out in Mae Sai and Chiang Saen

I was in Mae Sai an hour before the tremor struck.

Felt it while sitting upstairs in my 2 story house, the last tremor was at 11 pm. Altogether, I felt about 7 tremors in a 2 hour span of time.

I'm from California, so they're no big deal, ....actually it's a turn-on to feel the power of this planet - residual movements from the big collision which sent a chunk of matter off to form the moon. Compared to the earlier history of this small planet, these little tremors are like a Millie the Mosquito compared to Dino the Dinosaur.

Just spoke to ex wife and daughter in Mae Sai she said last night very scary nobody could sleep.

She said it was like being drunk she could not stand up she kept falling down again.

She also said the person killed was in Mae Sai NOT Chiang Rai as reported ( maybe more than one ? )

nuclear blasts in japan_what effect has this caused to our planet,. last week we had a tsunami in the northern region-now earthquakes throughout thailand

the temp has changed througout thailand instead of hot climate_the temp has dropped significantly to -0 in some provinces,. the polar cap continue to melt which will in turn continue to cause problems throughout the world.

Nuclear blasts? Earthquakes throughout Thailand? Temp dropped to -0? The sky is falling, the sky is falling,...... are you an Al Gore promo guy, jeeze, get a grip.

At least 11 dead after powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, surrounding countries

2011-03-25 02:27:24 GMT+7 (ICT)

YANGON, BURMA (BNO NEWS) -- A powerful earthquake struck the northeastern region of Myanmar (Burma) on Thursday evening, not far from its borders with Laos, China, and Thailand, seismologists and residents said. At least 11 people were killed.

The 7.0-magnitude earthquake at 8.25 p.m. local time (1355 GMT) was centered in Shan state of Myanmar, about 89 kilometers (55 miles) north of Chiang Rai in Thailand and 168 kilometers (104 miles) south-southwest of Yunjinghong in China. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Myanmar Department of Meteorology and Hydrology (DMH).

A seismologist at the DMH said there were reports of buildings having cracked in Shan state and some areas were without power, but he had no information on casualties. "We are gathering that information right now," he said.

The Xinhua news agency in China however reported that at least 10 people were killed as a result of landslides and a building collapse in Shan state. It gave no other details, but said a child was among the fatalities.

In Thailand, where shaking was felt as far away as the capital of Bangkok, local media reported that a 55-year-old man was killed in Chiang Rai when a wall fell over him. There were no other reports of casualties from Thailand, although there were unconfirmed reports of damage in the Chiang Rai area.

Residents also felt the earthquake in southern China where shaking lasted for more than a minute, prompting people to flee the buildings they were in. But there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from China, where the China Earthquake Network Center measured the strength of the earthquake at 7.2 on the Richter scale.

In Vietnam, meanwhile, the state-run Viet Nam News agency reported that buildings shook in the capital of Hanoi. It said there were no reports of damage or casualties, but noted that some residents had fled buildings in panic. Shaking was also felt in Laos.

The United States Geological Survey (USGS), which measured the earthquake at 6.8 on the Richter scale, estimated that approximately 78,000 people likely perceived severe shaking that could result in heavy damage. It said more than 583,000 others likely felt strong to very strong shaking, while an estimated 14 million people felt light to moderate shaking.

"Significant casualties are likely and the disaster is potentially widespread," the USGS said in an assessment. "Past events with this alert level have required a regional or national level response."

Thursday's earthquake was the first significant earthquake to have hit Myanmar since September 21, 2003 when a 6.6-magnitude earthquake struck central Myanmar. The earthquake caused no fatalities, but three temples, a bridge and other structures were damaged in Taungdwingyi. It was also widely felt in Thailand, where minor damage was reported.

But the most devastating earthquake on record to have hit Myanmar happened on May 5, 1930 when a powerful 7.3-magnitude earthquake struck the country, triggering a tsunami that impacted local coastlines. The ancient seaport and town of Pegu was almost entirely destroyed, killing at least 550 people. It is believed that hundreds more died in other towns.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-25

7:23 here in Chiang Rai, just felt a 7 second aftershock. It's so quiet here, I heard it come on up the hill from the north - to my house.

Yah, I felt that too.

Was woken up to it here in CM.

must be a light sleeper...:blink:

USGS (US Geological Survey) reporting a 6.8 and 4.8 quake hitting the region.

http://earthquake.us...region/Asia.php

Just for the rcords: Ratchadamri, 15th floor, blinds and closet doors were remarkably shaking for about 30 seconds, gf on chair felt shaking and got dizzy, only a few people lurking at the reception after...

Manachai, Samut Sakohn, felt nothing, but a "herd" of dogs took to barking

Over 25 killed in Myanmar quake: officials

YANGON, March 25, 2011 (AFP) - At least 25 people were killed when a strong earthquake struck Myanmar near the Thai border, according to information from officials in both countries.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-25