Importing A Car

I would like to bring a car from England to Thailand. I have a 1 year visa and work permit but am not sure of a few things. What is the duty to be paid? How long can the car be kept here? If my work permit expires, must the car be sent out of the country?

One other option would be for my wife to import the car under her name, I would assume that she would pay less duty and would be able to register the car permantly. Can a Thai import a car and sell it after a set time in the country?

What car is it, what's the engine size?

I think if the car is registered to a Thai in the foreign country for 3-4 years, they can bring it into Thailand with no duty for personal use.

If it's a beefy engine, or a nice car, it would be a cheaper option to buy something locally.

Dr. PP, this is a good question. What the deal here to the best of your knowledge??? I sure like to know too. I know vehicles are taxed duty from 100 to 300 percent of its value so this is new based on this persons question.

Daveyoti

I looked into this a few years back.

Import duty is between 200-315 percent depending on engine size.

Your thai wife can import one car every three years at a reduced rate but she must have a valid driving license in the exporting country but a provisional is acceptable.

She can sell the car at any time with no restrictions

I decided that it was not worth it

Guest IT Manager

Here is the short, accurate answer.

Tax is levied at 246% blue book valuation. If you don't know what the blue book is, look in the USA.

You need an import licence.

If you are retiring, you can bring it ni no problem. Tax is still levied.

A very good way to lose all your hair and a lot of your marbles.

Don't do it..

Thanks Guys..I have purchased a couple of cars locally but wanted to bring a Mini in as a toy. The prices they are asking here for these machines is 4 times what I would pay in England.

OK, best to keep the Toyota Tiger and be happy with what I have. Thanks again for the response. Cheers!

Something in the back of my head says that if you have owned a car for more than a year, you can bring it with you to TH without having to pay tax.