Notarized Letter From Us Embassy Stating Income

When I got my extension in Feb. letter from Embassy was excepted and no request for bank book. She asked me what the exchange rate was for the day.

What happened to tacoboy run out of hot air.

Edited by moe666

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from Chaing Wattanna for 1 year extension of retirement visa. Submitted income affidavit from US embassy. A quick glance and officer said I needed a letter to verify income. I had read this thread so I had my bank book with me. I had over 800,000 THB in account so after checking the age of the money she made copies and excepted it. She still converted the dollars to baht stated on affidavit. I went early for extension as I am going to US in a few weeks and will not return before visa expires. I have to return 2 days before departure to get passport stamped and re-entry permit

A quick question. If you had the 800,000 THB in a Thai bank account for the required length of time, then why bother with the embassy affidavit?

The affidavit worked last time. I did not want to give them the bank book unless I had too. Bad precedent for next time I think. Keeping that much money here is not very smart as you are very limited what you can do with it, ie. investments even earning a pittence of interest. I try to take everything that they they could possibly ask for. I have never had a time when they asked for something that I did not have to ultimately provide it. It saves me trips out there. As it turns out I have to go back anyway.

The logic escapes me! You need to make an unnecessary trip to the US Embassy and pay 50 USD for your income affidavit plus you need living expenses in Thailand anyway, or are you one of those fellows that live off the ATM and claim zero cost for using the machine.

The logic escapes you as does your rudeness escape me!

Just came back from CW where I was attempting to get a retirement extension for my visa using the embassy income affidavit. There was an unrelated bureaucratic snafu concerning my soon-to-be ex-employer, so no extension today- got to go back Monday with the letter cancelling my visa, which the employer is required to produce, but which they didn't, but ANYWAY...

I asked about the income letter I had (in advance of my second visit) and was told that it was fine, BUT that I had to show "the documents which you presented to the embassy in order to get the affidavit". (That's my best translation of what she said.) Well, I'm an American citizen and the U.S. Embassy, we all know...

All rather vague.

As it happens, I had printed out and brought along copies of the latest statement of my investment account in the States (which is doing very nicely), plus the latest statement of my Citibank account in Singapore, from which I actually take the money for use here, plus photocopies of my Siam Commercial Bank passbook, which has about Bht250,000 in it- basically everything I could think of that could possibly be considered as evidence of sufficient funds to justify the income declaration on the embassy affidavit to the immigration people.

The lady was nice and looked at all the paper, not too closely though, and sort of nodded her head and said "yes" and that it looked OK. And "bring everything back on Monday". A bit reassuring, but...

That still leaves the question of whether the other officials will be so accommodating.

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday afternoon to find out for sure.

.Was told that they are specifically looking at all such (American) cases now and will require further proof of income as they are aware the US Embassy does not require anything...

If this is true, that's rather big news. It was already known that immigration is aware of the US embassy's policies, and some reports of checking for additional proof behind the letter, but this I think is the first report here of an officer saying there is a definite change in policy for all Americans.

Other Americans using embassy letters, please report on your experiences at different offices please.

I just extended my non-immigrant visa for another year and changed from a Marriage to Retirement type in Phitsanulok. US Embassy Income Affidavit letter indicating in excess of 800,000 baht per year was accepted WITHOUT question. Did not even want multiple copies of documents.

Renewed my extension to stay (Retirement) last week at Phu Sing---Si Sa Ket, and income letter from US Embassy was all that was required. No discussion about bank accounts or any supporting documention relating to income.

Edited by bkkharry

Jingting, Does not matter my present or former profession or schooling. I am not giving legal advice here, just telling what are the rules according to what is printed and posted by thai authorities about visa's.

You are singeling out Americans in your arguments and that is unfair to attempt to bring discredit to the truthfullness of such persons and their embassy !

I never said that we should'nt try to get along with requests. Either give em proof, ask a superior, or seek an attorney. these are the options.

I never said to argue or not be polite.

Because a person has a badge or title does not always mean they are correct.

But continuing this thread with continued referances to American's and the Embassies is improper. It is against forum rules to be racist against any group, and it brings suspicion and unverified discredit to the americn embassies and conuslates.

No one has singled Americans-it's a well known fact that the American Embassy was notarizing incorrect information. Immigrations became aware of it hence the extra requirements.

<deleted> is a lawyer going to do about it? they have no control over Immigration so why advise people to take this course of action leading them to believe all will be fixed hiring a lawyer. Speaking to a Senior officer would be the go.

• 1 month later...
That still leaves the question of whether the other officials will be so accommodating.<br /><br />Guess I'll have to wait until Monday afternoon to find out for sure.<br />

And the final result was??

No one has singled Americans-it's a well known fact that the American Embassy was notarizing incorrect information. Immigrations became aware of it hence the extra requirements.

The US Embassy only notarizes your signature, not the information provided on the affidavit. If you are lying under oath, well ....................!

• 1 month later...

My point was only to infer that if a person has a letter of income verification from their Embassy, that letter is an offical certified document and is not just a "piece of paper" that can be fudged with.

A paper trail, may not be what it appears unless cerified or notarised by the issuer.

My reply is in response to those that doubt the validity of a letter from a US Embassy and say the letter is meaningless.

A non truthful person could "show pieces" of paper to prove income, but that does not mean the papers are in fact true.

Just sayin'

Income statements are usually only verifiable within the country they were issued from by a checks and balances system for Tax purposes.

Other than that, a W2 or income statement for other purposes could be generated to show income not there. It is only paper.

That is probably why many times an Embassy does not want to waste time going thru paperwork, and your swearing to truthfullness means a lot more and is more enforceable than a "piece of paper".

This is Thailand. The "law" is what the Thai immigration officer demands of you on your date of application. An embassy letter is official, but supporting paperwork is more info which they have every right to ask for, that's nothing new. A policy change demanding additional supporting info of all Americans would be new. I don't think this is a question about whether the supporting documents to the embassy letter are "perfect" proof or not, or whether people could fake those documents or not (clearly a crime). What most people are interested in here is what they actually need (what level of "proof" that will be acceptable) in real life to get their applications approved ... CURRENTLY.

The lines of argument you are presenting may be interesting to some, but really, they are RELEVANT mainly to Thai immigration officers who are deciding what to accept, what not to accept as proof. Maybe you can send them a memo -- the embassy letter is the only official "proof" you need. The letter is best! (Good luck with that.)

Hello,

I have been 'reviewing' the O-A process for a few years now. I plan to apply soon.

What type of 'additional documentation' will they accept with your Embassy letter for monthly income. Are monthly retirement income statements from USA being accepted? If not, what do they want.

How can you show 'no criminal record'? Can the US Embassy issue that for you? Or do you have to go thru an FBI fingerprint check?

Thanks for your help. Planning to apply soon. Currently live in Penang.

It may make sense to know what has been required of others and have the paperwork on hand but we should not offer more than normal until/unless asked. Even when told items are required, if beforehand, it may not be conclusive as often officer will just quote non specific list all inclusive list, as is done on visa paperwork, rather than the actual papers needed for the specific application.

Agreed 100 percent. While I think the reports of what some posters are being told are real (regarding the income letter issue for Americans) that doesn't mean I would suggest offering anything more than the income letter (if using an income letter) unless explicitly requested/required.

When I went for my first retirement extension last year I went into the Jomtien Immigration office to ask what is required. They gave me an A3 leaflet with all the requirement listed. There was no mention of any documents to support the income letter from Embassy. I went back 2 weeks ago and asked the same question. They gave me exactly the same leaflet as last year. I must assume there have been no changes at the Jomtien office since last year.

Has anyone found the 'A3' leaflet online?

EPP, you said above you currently are staying in Penang, but want to move to Thailand, and are looking at an O-A retirement visa...

Here's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs web page re O-A visas and their requirements, which serves as a general guide on such matters.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

However, there are variations from consulate to consulate, so it's best to check directly with whatever consulate you may be considering applying at.... I looked at the Penang Consulate web site, and they seem to have no local info on visas posted there.

However, here's what the web site of the Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur lists:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1387.php?&id=3921

Beyond all that, however, you should be aware and might consider the advantages of an alternative approach -- and that's to come to Thailand on a tourist visa and then, once in Thailand, apply to the Thai Immigration bureau in Bangkok for a annual retirement extension of stay.

This approach has the advantage of not having to deal with criminal background letters and medical certificates, which seem to be among the requirements for the O-A visa in Malaysia...

And assuming you're an American and have at least 65,000 baht in monthly income, getting the necessary income affidavit from the U.S. consulate in BKK is a pretty straightforward deal...and that letter is routinely accepted by Thai Immigration. If you need to go the 800,000 baht bank deposit route, then those funds have to have been on deposit in a bank in Thailand for two months prior to your initial extension application. So a 60 day tourist visa with a 30 day extension would give you plenty of time to make those arrangements, if needed.

As best as I recall, not all Thai immigration offices will handle such conversions, but the main BKK office certainly does... Then in the future, you'd renew your annual extension of stay based on retirement at the local immigration office for the area where you would be living. All the immigration offices handle retirement extensions of stay.

A lot of people get confused about the issue of O-A visas vs. retirement extensions of stay... Although the requirements are somewhat the same, visas are generally issued by Thai embassies and consulates in foreign countries, whereas extensions of stay are issued only by the Thai Immigration offices inside Thailand. But both routes essentially get you to the same result. The extension route normally is just a bit easier.

.......Thanks for your help. Planning to apply soon. Currently live in Penang.

Are you a legal resident of Malaysia? If not the O-A visa is not an option. It is designed for those to apply from there home country prior to travel to Thailand. For someone in Malaysia it would be much easier to just obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa for entry and 60 days latter apply for extension of stay. No medical or police check paperwork required. You obtain letter of income from Embassy and present that with passport/arrival card and proof of residence. If asked for supporting paperwork there is no set standard but pension statements should be more than adequate to support your claim.

John,

Thanks for the info. I was not aware an extension of stay was available - and yes it sounds wwaayyy better/easier than the O-A route.

This has been very helpful to me. I will review the info.

I owe you one - thanks again.

EPP, you said above you currently are staying in Penang, but want to move to Thailand, and are looking at an O-A retirement visa...

Here's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs web page re O-A visas and their requirements, which serves as a general guide on such matters.

However, there are variations from consulate to consulate, so it's best to check directly with whatever consulate you may be considering applying at.... I looked at the Penang Consulate web site, and they seem to have no local info on visas posted there.

However, here's what the web site of the Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur lists:

Beyond all that, however, you should be aware and might consider the advantages of an alternative approach -- and that's to come to Thailand on a tourist visa and then, once in Thailand, apply to the Thai Immigration bureau in Bangkok for a annual retirement extension of stay.

This approach has the advantage of not having to deal with criminal background letters and medical certificates, which seem to be among the requirements for the O-A visa in Malaysia...

And assuming you're an American and have at least 65,000 baht in monthly income, getting the necessary income affidavit from the U.S. consulate in BKK is a pretty straightforward deal...and that letter is routinely accepted by Thai Immigration. If you need to go the 800,000 baht bank deposit route, then those funds have to have been on deposit in a bank in Thailand for two months prior to your initial extension application. So a 60 day tourist visa with a 30 day extension would give you plenty of time to make those arrangements, if needed.

As best as I recall, not all Thai immigration offices will handle such conversions, but the main BKK office certainly does... Then in the future, you'd renew your annual extension of stay based on retirement at the local immigration office for the area where you would be living. All the immigration offices handle retirement extensions of stay.

A lot of people get confused about the issue of O-A visas vs. retirement extensions of stay... Although the requirements are somewhat the same, visas are generally issued by Thai embassies and consulates in foreign countries, whereas extensions of stay are issued only by the Thai Immigration offices inside Thailand. But both routes essentially get you to the same result. The extension route normally is just a bit easier.

Lopburi,

This info is very useful to me.

What do they want for proof of residence?

.......Thanks for your help. Planning to apply soon. Currently live in Penang.

Are you a legal resident of Malaysia? If not the O-A visa is not an option. It is designed for those to apply from there home country prior to travel to Thailand. For someone in Malaysia it would be much easier to just obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa for entry and 60 days latter apply for extension of stay. No medical or police check paperwork required. You obtain letter of income from Embassy and present that with passport/arrival card and proof of residence. If asked for supporting paperwork there is no set standard but pension statements should be more than adequate to support your claim.

It will depend on office and may not even be asked but as who they service depends on them living there most will. A lease should always work as would a utility receipt in your name. If married the spouse home register. If short term hotel receipt will likely be accepted.

• 2 months later...

http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2493

http://www.mfa.go.th...87.php?&id=3921

On a retirement extension of stay, can you bring in any personal belongings? I have some household and personal things in Pg that I need to ship over to Thailand.

With the flood situation in Bangkok being what it is does anyone have any knowledge of getting the embassy income letter notarized by a separate notary official. I have the letter - just not notarized.

I did contact the US Embassy and the response was travel to Bangkok is no problem even though they have active a travel advisory against travel to Bangkok. The embassy said "Our contacts with the Thai transportation authorities indicate that most transportation routes (air via Suvarnabhumi, road, and rail) between Isaan and Bangkok are open and operating normally."

I am just too tired of double speak to trust anything but my gut instinct and that is to stay out of Bangkok during this emergency. So again why not get the statement notarized by another notary?

"So again why not get the statement notarized by another notary?"

Several choices.

Bangkok, consulate in Chiang Mai or at one of the ACS outreach visits throughout the country.

At the embassy/consulate appointments are now required. you do that online.

The requirement is Embassy signature by immigration. And they are the only notary service (along with Consulates). Do not believe advance reservation is currently required by Embassy but always a good idea if you can do.

The income Affadavit is a form that you fill out and even though you still do not need any proof of income itt must be notarized by the Embassy or Consulate, not a Thai official. I just received a retirement extension and I asked the same question at Nakhon Sawan Immigration and they told me that they would only accept the original af the statement signed by the embassy with their official seal and dated within one month of the application for extension. I've heard that other offices accept statements issued longer than 1 month but that depends on the office. As far as reservations, according to the website effective 1 Sept you must have a reservation and it can be done right there online so I made one. I showed up a day early, it was not as crowded as usual. but I had no problem and there were others there that did not have reservations. They have removed the queing number machine in the waiting room.

The requirement is Embassy signature by immigration. And they are the only notary service (along with Consulates). Do not believe advance reservation is currently required by Embassy but always a good idea if you can do.

ACSBKK ACS Bangkok

Bangkok American Citizen Services is open today and accepting walk-ins. You can also email, call, or tweet questions - we're here to help

28 Oct

The above tweet was sent by Embassy on 28th and suspect it is still valid and that walk ins are allowed as flooding is getting worse rather than better.

going back to the original thread..i renewed my retirement extension this week with a U.S. passport and notarized letter from the U.S. embassy at the Suan Plu immigrations. I was not asked for a bank statement or any other verification.

going back to the original thread..i renewed my retirement extension this week with a U.S. passport and notarized letter from the U.S. embassy at the Suan Plu immigrations. I was not asked for a bank statement or any other verification.

were you asked for any sort of residence verification? ie., utility bill, lease agreement, etc...

were you asked for any sort of residence verification? ie., utility bill, lease agreement, etc...

i was not asked and even though I had several substantiating documents... I only showed what was requested and that was only the U.S. Embassy notarized letter of income and photocopies of my passport. Nothing else requested, nothing else presented.

i was not asked and even though I had several substantiating documents... I only showed what was requested and that was only the U.S. Embassy notarized letter of income and photocopies of my passport. Nothing else requested, nothing else presented.

thanks a lot for that info...I was gonna bring the wife, our wedding registration document and her blue house registration to 'prove' where I live as I have no other documentation...better I go alone so that only one us of perishes in the event of ultimate disaster...:(

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I think that everybody that trys to give advice on this forum speaks from past experiences and I think that all would agree that what's reqiuired depends on what office you go to and sometimes what officer you speak to in that office. I just renewed my retirement visa in Nakhon Sawan and ,I gave them a copy of our marriage certificate signed by both of us, a signed copy of her ID card and a signed copy of the housebook as proof of residence like I have every year in the past. The officer made us resign the documents since the signatures were in black and the documents were signed before we went to the office so he thought that the signatures on the copies that I gave him were copied signatures. For once, I was glad my wife was with me because it's 100 kilometers back home. Just to be safe, if you leave your wife at home, take signed copies of your marriage certificate, her ID and the housebook and don't sign them in black. Don't give the officer the documents at first but at least if he asks for proof of resiedence you won't "perish in the event of an ultimate disaster" returning home to get them.

thanks a lot for that info...I was gonna bring the wife, our wedding registration document and her blue house registration to 'prove' where I live as I have no other documentation...better I go alone so that only one us of perishes in the event of ultimate disaster...:(

• 8 months later...

Hi: I am a US citizen with an embassy letter and went to the Samui IO today twenty days before the extension was due to expire. They told me to come back next week as I was too early. Also, they said I would need the bank book to support the embassy letter. Question: My pension noted on the letter (over 800KB/yr) goes into my US account and I transfer over 1MB per year to my Thai bank account, which my bank book shows. Is this acceptable or do they absolutely want to see the exact amount on the embassy letter deposited each month in the Thai bank?

Edited by parallaxtech