Civil Court Finds PAD Guilty In Bangkok Airport Closure Case

webfact

Civil Court Finds PAD Guilty in Airport Closure Case

The Civil Court has found 13 PAD members guilty of closing the airports during their rally in 2009. It has ordered the 13 to pay 522 million baht in damages to the AOT.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-25

footer_n.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or become a non elected member of the cabinet

Who has avoided paying damages by "becoming a non elected member of cabinet"?

Well it a pointless question by you because as yet nobody has avoided paying damages because as yet we do not know if they will pay or not, but I am sure you know this full well and I am sure you know that I refer to Kasit who so far has avoided any charges as he is a member of the cabinet whilst not being elected for parliament. Ergo by becoming a one elected member of the cabinet you can avoid charges and therefore probably avoid damages.

On another note if you wish to be pedantic, this matter was in the civil court, the damages awarded will probably never be paid as Thailand does not have any procedure to ensure they are paid, therefore going to 'nick' if they don't pay is not on the agenda. As this is the case i doubt there will even be an appeal, it will just go unpaid.

I'd imagine this is a veiled reference to attempts by UDD members to avoid terrorism charges by becoming party list MPs at the next election.

But on the OP - About time. Now lets see them pay up !!!

Well it a pointless question by you because as yet nobody has avoided paying damages because as yet we do not know if they will pay or not, but I am sure you know this full well and I am sure you know that I refer to Kasit who so far has avoided any charges as he is a member of the cabinet whilst not being elected for parliament. Ergo by becoming a one elected member of the cabinet you can avoid charges and therefore probably avoid damages.

<snip>

A pointless question? I was just wondering who you were referring to?

A pointless statement by you if "nobody has avoided paying damages" by being a member of cabinet.

On another note if you wish to be pedantic, this matter was in the civil court, the damages awarded will probably never be paid as Thailand does not have any procedure to ensure they are paid, therefore going to 'nick' if they don't pay is not on the agenda. As this is the case i doubt there will even be an appeal, it will just go unpaid.

Wow what a fantastic system........................kind of expected it here though!!

IMHO this ruling was a foregone conclusion (just as much as the banning of PPP was.) Civilly the PAD was responsible for the losses. The only question that remains is what a criminal court will decide.

PAD ordered to pay Bt522 million damage for airports seizure

By The Nation

The Civil Court on Friday ordered the 13 leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy to pay Bt522 million damage in connection with the seizure of Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports in 2008.

The list of PAD leaders liable for damage payment included Chamlong Srimuang and Sondhi Limthongkul.

In the street protests to oust the Somchai Wongsawat government, the PAD rallied at the two Bangkok airports resulting in the shut-down of air traffict. The Airports of Thailand sued for damage in the civil litigation and launched a separate criminal proceedings.

In awarding the damage computed at the interest rate of seven per cent accrued from December, 2008, the court ruled that the PAD had rallied beyond the charter sanction for peaceful public assembly.

The PAD violated the principles of peaceful assembly as evidenced by PAD-led protesters putting on masks and wielding wooden and iron sticks to raid the grounds of the two airports, the verdict said.

The defence is expected to appeal the verdict within 30 days.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-25

If they also lose at the appeal court and supreme court, they will be forced to pay and assets confiscated. This is not a problem for a Thai businessman as he/she will transfer all assets to a proxy. However, if they don't pay, they will be declared bankrupt. This will be a problem for government employees especially politicians. It's an indirect way to eliminate political opposition.

<snip>

A pointless question? I was just wondering who you were referring to?

A pointless statement by you if "nobody has avoided paying damages" by being a member of cabinet.

i didn't say anyone had avoided paying damages by becoming a member of the cabinet, it seems in your haste to start a spat that you missed one important factor, what was actually written.

never mind, try a little harder next time

If they also lose at the appeal court and supreme court, they will be forced to pay and assets confiscated. This is not a problem for a Thai businessman as he/she will transfer all assets to a proxy. However, if they don't pay, they will be declared bankrupt. This will be a problem for government employees especially politicians. It's an indirect way to eliminate political opposition.

Under British law a declared bancrupt may not stand for or hold political office, is this also true then for Thailand?

i didn't say anyone had avoided paying damages by becoming a member of the cabinet, it seems in your haste to start a spat that you missed one important factor, what was actually written.

never mind, try a little harder next time

Yes, you did.

Surely it's that or nick??

jb1

Appeals ... then more appeals ... then just non-payment.

Yes, you did.

Quite clearly I did not.

Is this how you choose to spend your life or is it forced on you? It is as though some posters on here have nothing to do all day but try to start spats on the internet, it is all a bit sad really and I am guessing you don't get invited to many parties. i have made this clear a number of times, read what is written, absorb it, understand it, then refrain from changing it your head to what you wish was written so you can start another petty spat :rolleyes: You should understand it, I am not even using joined up writing

The PAD violated the principles of peaceful assembly as evidenced by PAD-led protesters putting on masks and wielding wooden and iron sticks to raid the grounds of the two airports, the verdict said.

Some posters were denying there were violent elements at the airport on another thread.

Hope that clarifies.

Quite clearly I did not.

Is this how you choose to spend your life or is it forced on you? It is as though some posters on here have nothing to do all day but try to start spats on the internet, it is all a bit sad really and I am guessing you don't get invited to many parties. i have made this clear a number of times, read what is written, absorb it, understand it, then refrain from changing it your head to what you wish was written so you can start another petty spat :rolleyes: You should understand it, I am not even using joined up writing

So when someone says they won't pay because of "Appeals ... then more appeals ... then just non-payment." and you say "or become a non elected member of the cabinet", that's not implying that someone has avoided payment by becoming a "non elected member of parliament".

Fair enough.

Some posters were denying there were violent elements at the airport on another thread.

Hope that clarifies.

The forum yellows will still deny it, or try and justify it, or come with some nonsense while trying to compare it to the reds rather than just accept the PAD are violent thugs.

Hope that clarifies.

It should also hopefully clarify that wooden and iron sticks are no comparison to the grenade launchers, various bombs, and automatic weapons that the Red colored shirts utilized.

It should clarify to some posters who were postulating that the level of violence employed by the two different shirts were equal.

Edited by Buchholz

Hope that clarifies.

The forum yellows will still deny it, or try and justify it, or come with some nonsense while trying to compare it to the reds rather than just accept the PAD are violent thugs.

that's not true ...

RED + Taksin are real thugs... look at Central world then...they burnt it down....

Ain't ya see that?

Taksin is the man who sold the world.

Edited by dunkin2012

Quite clearly I did not.

So when someone says they won't pay because of "Appeals ... then more appeals ... then just non-payment." and you say "or become a non elected member of the cabinet", that's not implying that someone has avoided payment by becoming a "non elected member of parliament".

Fair enough.

clearly not, it is a comparison, not a statement, it is simply saying that becoming a member of the cabinet you can avoid being charged with the offence in the first place, My puppy just read my comment and he understood it, and he is just a baby dog, but then again he is not spending his life looking for pointless fights on the internet.

It is as I said, you chose to read that post based on who wrote it rather than what was written, now rather than admit that this is what you usually do you will try and get a long drawn out dispute over it rather than that just admit that you got the wrong end of the stick, but i doubt your ego would allow that and you will continue to derail the thread with nonsense, not for the first time i might add.

It is clear that being an unelected member of the Cabinet you can avoid being charged with offences related to the airport takeover, is that any clearer for you or shall I get my puppy to call you?