China Airlines Bkk-Jfk

OK so I was checking online for flights to JFK - No Service > Apr 20. I called and here is the deal best I can tell:

New route is via Osaka and is only running 3x a week - M W Sa

You fly to TPE and need to take a room overnight. If you buy a R/T ticket they will pay for the room O/W (HAH!). If you buy a ticket OW you are on your own.

Fly to Osaka for who knows how long layover

What a crap airline. Every year they just give me one more reason to hate them more.

I don't get the point of the OP. China is cheaper. The OP wants cheaper.

I have flown China Air a three times. All three times they were about $200 cheaper than anyone else I could find and I wasn't on a tight schedule so the 4 hour layover in TPE didn't matter to me so I picked them.

The great thing about airlines is that you do, in fact, have options and it just seems pointless to me to complain about flights from NYC to BKK :)

Quote bangkokburning "What a crap airline. Every year they just give me one more reason to hate them more."

I don't understand the sentiment there...

They provide a service that their commercial people think will sell.

The service is on offer - you can buy or not depending if it suits your needs or not.

Why hate? They are not out to get you personally.

I've flown CI for about ten years know. Actually, I think they are out to get me. I have had some very rough experiences with them.

Every flight there is some mini disaster. Usually, its on the plane itself but not always. I had chosen to fly CI for one reason only. I can get to the east coast w/o flying domestic and from JFK they provide a free shuttle (with its one scammy problems) to PHL and from there my parents come pick me up and we head down to their place.

Being seated next to the lavatory when I reserved a seat elsewhere. Then forcing me by the lavatory on the 2nd leg as well.

Spilled coffee in my lap and ruined my shirt - compensation = 0.00

Slamming a cart into the chair in front of me, missing my toes by inches and I mean - two inches.

Waiting ten hours for a plane in BKK, not giving me a room. Totally lying to everyone the plane is leaving next hour - then shunting many of us on another plane where seats were vacant - lost my seat and lost my seat for next leg. So here too another 18 hrs in crap seat.

Absolutely refusing to issue me the TPE-JFK leg of trip in BKK so all the Chinese in TPE could get the better seats.

-The list is endless, fairly serious stuff, none of which screams quality. Its a Chinese airline run by and for Chinese.

I could get into more petty stuff I have experienced which should not be part of the experience.personal movie viewers for a B40k ticket, bad food, old cabins, horrible movies, lack of staff, no alcohol on the cart and when you ask they are very miserly about it.. But why..

Its only US200 cheaper and that 200 is quite in evidence: shoddy cabins, bad food, over worked staff, TPE cannot speak English...so its really not cheaper I guess, less money for lesser quality. The food is better (not much) than 8-10 years ago, nearly inedible (and i eat Thai [Rice] food 3x a day).

My issue is that I am not going to NYC or anywhere near it. My parents retired in a fairly rural coastal area and not close to any major int'l airports. Looks like my best shot may be now flying thru the the ME but cringing a layover in the EU, esp London or Paris.

Oh well, I have my free ticket. Time for another airline.

PS: I have always accepted the layover in TPE and Anchorage. What my beef is and hence the post and FYI to all of you is the insaneness of flying four hours to be met with an overnight layover (out of your pocket) and flying another six to have another layover of who knows how long in an very expensive airport - this, the airline flying the cheap charlies.