Non-Imm 'O' (Marriage) Extension, And A Yellow Tabien Baan

Went in to Chaengwattana today to get the Visa extension. Ticket stamped 9.48 a.m. with 4 ahead of us, so we waited about 20 minutes before being called.

Document processing was routine, though the officer did comment favourably on the Kor Ror 2 which we had obtained from the amphur yesterday. I had done my usual pre-extension check on this forum and thanks to the post mentioning that the Kor Ror 2 should be dated within the last 6 months, decided better safe than sorry and got a new one at a cost of 20 baht. That went down very well indeed!

This time I was given a form to sign acknowledging that I understand that for future visa extensions on the grounds of Thai wife, the 400,000 baht needs to be in the bank for 2 months prior to the date of application. The form 2 years ago stated 3 months, so they have now formalised it at 2 months.

By sheer coincidence, this was the 3rd extension in a row to be processed by the same lady, but sadly it will be the last as she retires in September and will not be there for the next application.

Next stop was to get the 'Under Consideration' stamp initialled by the officer-in-charge, which took all of 2 minutes. She too commented favourably on the documents being in order upon seeing the Kor Ror 2 and the photocopy of the bank passbook (updated today).

We were on our way before 10.30 a.m. so we decided to stop by at the amphur and apply for a Yellow Tabien Baan.

Documents required to support the application were;

1) Passport

2) Photocopies of passport - particulars page, visa page and latest visa extension.

3) Original and photocopy of Tabien Baan

4) Photocopy of wife's ID

5) Photocopy of Marriage Certificate.

6) 3 passport size photographs of applicant.

My wife filled in the application form and handled the interview as everything was done in Thai. The interview itself was pretty routine, where I was born, when I first came to Thailand, whether I work or have a business in Thailand, and so on. At the end of the interview, the responses were printed out (in Thai of course) and I signed off after my wife had verified that everything was correct.

The actual issuing of the Yellow Tabien Baan had to be approved by the number 2 district official who was upstairs in a meeting - the lady who handled the application was good enough to call him out so that we would not have to return after lunch!

Once printed out, I was asked to pose for a photo with the staff, holding up my passport in one hand and the Yellow Tabien Baan in the other - I was more than pleased to oblige.

The whole process took about 30 minutes. The lady who issued the Yellow Tabien Baan told us that draft legislation is ready, awaiting approval, for photo IDs to be issued to holders of Yellow Tabien Baan. This of course will have no impact on Visa status, which is a separate issue, but I can think of Police and Banks as a couple of examples where having an official Thai photo ID may be handy. I don't hold my breath for this sort of thing (which gives more opportunity to be thankful for small mercies), but if all this comes to pass, someday having that ID might mean exemption from 90 day reporting, as in reporting only when there is a change. One never knows.....

Simply delightful service today from 2 government departments.

I'm sure the beer this evening will taste exceptionally good.

My appreciation to all members who take the trouble to post updates, and the moderators for ensuring clarity when things get confusing.

How do you update a KR2? I have my original KR2 from 10 years back. My wife went to our local amphur and they hadn't a clue what she was on about. They said you only get a KR2 after you get married and thats it.

How do you update a KR2? I have my original KR2 from 10 years back. My wife went to our local amphur and they hadn't a clue what she was on about. They said you only get a KR2 after you get married and thats it.

You just ask for a copy (if online) or visit original office for a copy if not. The copy will be the current version and would show if any change in status had been made (from my understanding).

We got the same response initially, but when we explained that it was required by Immigration, the officer in charge of the section told the staff to issue it.

The lady who issued the Yellow Tabien Baan told us that draft legislation is ready, awaiting approval, for photo IDs to be issued to holders of Yellow Tabien Baan.

I already have a Thai photo ID, it's called a drivers license!

Bully for you old chap.

I believe what they have in mind is a 'foreigners version' of the Thai ID.

If for example someone applied for a visa extension on the grounds of marriage to a Thai, and all the Thai spouse could produce was a drivers licence, I rather doubt things would progress much beyond that.

Then again, I might be wrong.

The lady who issued the Yellow Tabien Baan told us that draft legislation is ready, awaiting approval, for photo IDs to be issued to holders of Yellow Tabien Baan.

I already have a Thai photo ID, it's called a drivers license!

Bully for you old chap.

I believe what they have in mind is a 'foreigners version' of the Thai ID.

If for example someone applied for a visa extension on the grounds of marriage to a Thai, and all the Thai spouse could produce was a drivers licence, I rather doubt things would progress much beyond that.

Then again, I might be wrong.

Correct, I would need a current Kor Ror 2, among other documents, issued by the local Amphur (District Office) to prove that my marriage to a Thai was registered in Thailand - the same as now.

We were on our way before 10.30 a.m. so we decided to stop by at the amphur and apply for a Yellow Tabien Baan.

1) Passport

2) Photocopies of passport - particulars page, visa page and latest visa extension.

David, this list does not say that the passport needs a certified translation.

We were informed at Khet Khannayao, this is required.

I know the requirements vary according to Khet. What khet do you live?

Good tip about the KR2.

You just ask for a copy (if online) or visit original office for a copy if not. The copy will be the current version and would show if any change in status had been made (from my understanding).

A mystery too me as well!. Married in Don Mueang and now live in Phetchabun, so went to our Amphur and asked for an updated copy and they looked at us if we were nuts.

" You have one already, why you want another one?"

So whats an updated one?, one with todays date on?

Will call our local Immigration Monday when they open and see if I can make sense of this. :ph34r:

A mystery too me as well!. Married in Don Mueang and now live in Phetchabun, so went to our Amphur and asked for an updated copy and they looked at us if we were nuts.

" You have one already, why you want another one?"

So whats an updated one?, one with todays date on?

Will call our local Immigration Monday when they open and see if I can make sense of this. :ph34r:

My own amphur told me "There is nothing as an "updated" one. You can only get a copy of the original one (the one you first got) if ever you lost it."

I have had to deal with this efficient officer quite some times. I tend to believe her.

TiT again? :whistling:

You simply ask for a new K.R. 2 form. The new KR 2 is to show that you are still married and not since divorced. If you are divorced since married I guess the KR2 form should reflect that. (or so immigration hopes).

If it was that simple!, I would have walked out with one, we are not all carrot crunchers up here.

KR2 is your marriage registration certificate when you married. Has your name, DOB and wifes maiden name and address etc + date of marriage.

I tend to agree with DTiger, they provide a copy of original..

Perhaps someone on here can see if a new date of issue is on the copy of KR2

The K.R. 2 form states the date of the marriage and the date this particulair K.R. 2 was issued. (All the way down, with the stamp and signatue of the registar.

That's exactly what you will get with any copy of your KR2.... And I insist a copy of the copy they keep, as you had the original one.

Checking a little bit further, the only thing available from the same nice officer I was talking before is a certificate showing the different civil registrations of your wife. She probably had to have one before getting married with you to prove she was at that time single (if you wanted to register your marriage in your origin/home country).

That same updated certificate could prove she is still married with you, but that's not a KR2!

I - and that same officer - would be pleased to see a scan of what the OP got.

The K.R. 2 form states the date of the marriage and the date this particulair K.R. 2 was issued. (All the way down, with the stamp and signatue of the registar.

That's exactly what you will get with any copy of your KR2.... And I insist a copy of the copy they keep, as you had the original one.

Checking a little bit further, the only thing available from the same nice officer I was talking before is a certificate showing the different civil registrations of your wife. She probably had to have one before getting married with you to prove she was at that time single (if you wanted to register your marriage in your origin/home country).

That same updated certificate could prove she is still married with you, but that's not a KR2!

I - and that same officer - would be pleased to see a scan of what the OP got.

No, a new copy of the KR2 has a new date of issue.

1) Passport

David, this list does not say that the passport needs a certified translation.

We were informed at Khet Khannayao, this is required.

I know the requirements vary according to Khet. What khet do you live?

Good tip about the KR2.

We live in Khet Pravet, and we did not need a certified translation of the passport particulars page.

Are they asking for the translation so that they have your name rendered in Thai? If so, we got around that because they copied my name (Thai version) from the Marriage Certificate. I recall there was a bit of a discussion at the time (between my wife, the staff and the Registrar) as to how best to render my name in Thai. There must be more than 1 way to do so, because this time around the staff processing the application for the Yellow Tabien Baan was discussing the same thing with my wife.

Re the questions in other posts about the Kor Ror 2, we were asked for the original Kor Ror 2, the staff went in the back office and came back with a copy of the original.

The copy had our signatures and everything as per the original, but not the original stamp and signature of the Registrar. They must keep this copy on file or electronically, because it was not a rough cover up of the original stamp, which would have left a large white patch on the form. The copy was then stamped with the seal and current date, and signed by the Registrar.

The original Kor Ror 2 was returned to us, so do ensure you get yours back.