Penang - Where Is The Fun?

meadish_sweetball

What do you do to kill three days in Penang? Budget, let's say 1500-2000 baht per day, accommodation already paid.

Not into girlie or boyie bars, and not too fond of the beach either. Do like a drink, a walk, a coffee, and interesting people. Like trying new food as well.

Someone said the Hill might be worth a visit? What else do you recommend?

There's some great Indian restaurants there and on the ground floor of one ofthe malls near that tall cylindrical building there is a 'Kenny Rodgers Roaster' where you can eat so so roast chicken with cheap gravy whilst listening to tinny C&W and gorping at the shoppers outside the glass passing the Kodak shop.

There's an Irish pub but I can't remember it's name and all in all Panang is a great place to wonder about in a surreal atmosphere but there's not much to do that is fun and although I'd never recommend more than a night there, I could probably stretch to three days if in the right company.

Hill is definitely good to go and is very refreshing - would love to stay in the hotel on the top - but is a bit expensive.

Foodwise - try the penang indian food - it is fantastic - there is a chain called subidah - they have a place open 24 hrs near island plaza, which is close to gurney drive/the esplanade - some great food and v cheap. Gurney drive food is good too - try the penang asam laksa and the rojak - great.

Alchohol is v expensive - same as UK !

There are quite a few coffee chains - coffee bean is good.

Near the airport there is a seafood restaurant called ikan bakar and again the food is fantastic and v cheap - only locals go there - i have never seen another foreigner there and the locals havent either - but it is well worth it - you'll have to ask the locals how to get there - i get driven there by swomeone in the know.

The prangin mall food court has one of the best char kuay teows in penang for 3RM

There are some nice drives around penang - would recommend driving out to batu fereengi and keep on going - there is a big reservoir up there somewhere and it is v pretty and cooling there - also a wal around the botanical gardens is well recommended.

If u like a bit of extravagance - have a look at the e&o hotel - also have a look at fort cornwallis - a rickshaw ride through central penang is exciting. The indian area at night sometimes has some great things going on in the temples. The capitan cling mosque is worth a look too...

to me the best things are the food and the cheap, fast internet...

theres quite a few australians holiday there but i dont have alot to do with forigners as i live with some of the locals..

HTH

Thanks a million for the tips both of you - especially Khun Bob - will make sure to try on some of your suggestions.

While you're still online, what is your recommended means of transportation - taxis, rickshaws... is there any point trying to figure out the bus system?

I usually read up on places before I go, but this time I was just too busy.

...and yet another one, what to bring as a present for a loved Thai one from Penang?

You may be familiar with the 'khanom' gift shops Thais go to shop for their friends and relatives when they are on holiday, and buy boxes of mostly dried, seafood-smelling seafood as well as pickled and dried fruits in different coloured packaging (if you ever wondered what was in all those cartons that the little old lady with the Marge Simpson hair who came and stood right in front of you when you were waiting to pick up your bag from the baggage conveyor belt in Thai airports, well, there you have it). :o

Is there anything of that kind available in Penang? If not, what would be a good idea?

While you're still online, what is your recommended means of transportation - taxis, rickshaws... is there any point trying to figure out the bus system?

Penang has some of the most clapped-out local buses I've ever ridden. Pretty much all bus routes eminate from or pass through the bus terminal underneath the KOMTAR complex. The little mini-buses are RM 0.80, other bus fares vary according to distance traveled and seem to made up by the driver each time one boards the bus (figure approx. RM 1.00 to RM 2.00)! Bus routes 93 and 202 go to Batu Ferringhi from Georgetown.

There is a free shuttle bus service that plies a somewhat anti-clockwise route around downtown Georgetown from 7 to 7 o'clock weekdays and also Saturday 'til 2:00 p.m. There are twenty stops in total for this shuttle bus. Each stop has a map that indicates the routing. This shuttle will take you to Little India, the ferry jetty, Kapitan Kling mosque, Ft. Cornwallis, KOMTAR, etc. The shuttle is supposed to run every twelve minutes but I wouldn't set my watch by this interval. Takes forty-five minutes to do the whole loop, a recommended tour if you are unfamiliar with Georgetown.

Is there anything of that kind available in Penang? If not, what would be a good idea?

Not quite the same as the Thai khanom shops, but give the Chowrasta Market just north of KOMTAR a try (stops 8 and 12 on the shuttle bus). My Thai friend usually have good luck with souvenirs in that market.

Do like a drink, a walk, a coffee, and interesting people. Like trying new food as well.

Go for a walk around the Chinatown area early in the morning and try dim sum from one of the many restaurants that specialize in such.

Coffee Bean is good for a splurge but you owe it to yourself to try the great coffee available in just about any hawker's center for RM 1.00 or less.

Ride the ferry over to and back from Butterworth around sunset (RM 0.60) to catch a view of the island at sunset.

I know some people swear by the Gurney Drive hawker center but I think it's overcrowded and a trifle overpriced. It can be a hassle getting a table if traveling alone.

Thumb's up on food at Subaidah. Khaleel is another similar nasi kandar chain with great food.

Someone said the Hill might be worth a visit? What else do you recommend?

The Penang Hill funicular is RM 4.00 return. Half-hour ride each way. Plan to go up the hill and have lunch at the simple hawker's center. Taxi is much easier than bus to the foot of the hill, although if you want to take a bus, grab any heading to Air Hitam. Walk to the train station from Air Hitam village (the number 8 bus no longer runs between Air Hitam and Penang Hill railway station).

For good/special local food, go to a road side stall or food court. (Chinese stalls only)

Ask for Penang Fried Koay Teow and Penang Laksa. That's what Penang is famous for, when food is concerned.

You can't get this two famous items in Thailand. They tried to imitate,

but you still can't beat the originals. Very popular with the local Chinese.

I still love the Penang Fried Koay Teow. Even other Malaysian towns are

capitalising on this Penang fried koay teow. Cost about RM2.50 , more or less, per plate.

Somebody said booze is expensive. I don't think it is if you're taking into consideration the equivalent restaurant/bar-type places that you see here. Bottled beers are about 5.5 Ringitt (tiger beer, royal stout etc) in most of these places down Lebuh Chulia, which is where you'll find lots of eateries and hangouts. A pint at the likes of the Soho Bar, a couple of streets up, is expensive but you're getting the real McCoy.

E&O Hotel is a definite must-see - not long been renovated. There's a wonderfully atmospheric cemetary not far from this hotel and it is full of Birch trees I think...spooky-looking but really serene at the same time...

E&O Hotel is a definite must-see - not long been renovated.

The E&O is worth a look, it was built by the same people that built the Raffles Hotel in Singapore. A little pricey to stay there though, you are probably looking at RM 400 or so and up per night. On the other hand, that's a bunch cheaper than a night at the Raffles!

Penang Hill is a great way to spend some time, and the restaurant on top is a nice place to dawdle and have a couple of brews.

A little further away there is a suspended bridge wallk that'll give your nerves a buzz.

3 days is enough! Indian food (dosas) & especially Indian tea (it is good just to watch the tea-making). Ladies - the only ones I saw were 'Thai Katoeys'. Use a taxi! I am very happy with mine - honest & prompt. His name is Muthu (Hindhu). Mobile no. is 012 462 8090. Forget the rickshaws! BS & too hot.

A 'must see' - Pinang Peranakan Mansion - purchased by VERY rich property developer. More than 1000 antiques & collectibles to see. Opening hours - Mon - Sat - 9am - 5pm. Conducted tours - 11.30am & 3.30pm (On time; not Thai time). In the low season, I was given a personal tour by the guide - very polite & informative. In fact, the people are well-mannered; speak English & Malay & Chinese for some. The cleaner @ my hotel had to speak all 3 languages to get the job! They even follow the traffic regulations.

Change THB into MYR @ the money changers in Penang - far better rates than LOS or banks.

There are some shopping plazas with quality goods (similar to that found in bazaars in LOS - 'things to listen to or watch on TV'). No bargaining much; buy more & they offer a discount.

Pulau tikus - one stop/midlands park - is getting run down now and it seems that gurney plaza is picking up the business - shame really as this is my local shopping centre.

There is a really beautiful bumese temple on jalan burma and there are two further temples close by. I havent been to the snake temple yet - but i beleive it is not up to much.

A walk along the esplanade at night can be quite nice - you can watch the farang buskers, the young muslim couples meeting when they shouldnt be and the mudskippers (which i think are the most interesting!)

If you want to buy some gold then the chinese jewwellers close to campbell street are a good place to go - i bought a 22k ring for the price of the gold plus 1RM for making the ring ! I couldnt get such a good deal from the indians and they didt seem to be so honest abouit there products. A chinese guy wanted to seem me a massive pink diamond and was happy to explain the flaws in other diamonds he had - maybe this was an exercide of confidence building - was interesting but bidnt put any business his way.

If you want cheap alchohol buy it in the supermarket then take to your favorite street restaurant - you can get tiger for 4.5RM in tesco - also cold storage - close to gurney drive - seems strange you can get stout 8%+ for 3.5RM (takes like sh1t though) - avoind the tourist places in batu fereengi though for beer - they want 15RM for a big tiger. But they do have good food.

If you like swiming the penang chinese swimming pool is the place to go.

If youd like a guide or a driver in penang i may be able to arrange this for you.

Pulau tikus - one stop/midlands park - is getting run down now and it seems that gurney plaza is picking up the business - shame really as this is my local shopping centre.

Gurney Plaza does seem to be the premiere shopping center in Penang now as fas as being upscale goes. It's a shame about One Stop's decline, it has the potential to be a very nice plaza but it lacks an anchor store like a Parkson. One Stop hasn't gotten run down to the level of say, KOMTAR, but it seems like every time I am in Penang something else has closed shop at One Stop.

Edited by ovenman

Conversely they can be quite fun if you get the right one. Mine was an old, but very friendly Chinese.... I ended up pedalling him back to my hotel and he sat up front laughing the whole way.  :D

I'll second that John. There's some great characters still plying becaks/samlors in Penang and I would encourage every one to use this dying form of transport if they go there..... Last year I got into Penang off the ferry from Langkawi late at night in the rain and with a load of luggage, me, my wife and daughter squeezed onto a rickety old becak pedalled by a lovely old Chinese man. He took us to a hotel at the top of Chulia Street and didn't try to overcharge us. In fact, he couldn't have been more friendly and civil, as indeed are most becak drivers in Penang I've found - and often mines of local info. When we finally got to the hotel and disgorged on to the street I paid him and tipped on top for his labours, and he pulled out a plastic bag from behind the seat and gave it to my 8 year old daughter. In it were two glittery pictures taken from children's stories, like Peter Pan and cinderella, and he said that he had no place to hang them or children/grandchildren to give them to and thought my daughter would like them. Although they were a bit tacky, I gratefully accepted them as a v. kind gesture by a man who had little more in life than his becak and memories, and will always remember this old guy.

If you look late at night in the downtown area, lots of drivers literally live and sleep out of their becaks, so by using them to get around, you're not only keeping the Penang air clean, but also supporting some very needy people in a positive way. :o

Hi,

If you are a biscuit lover, try this famous Penang biscuits.

It's called Penang Tau Sar Pneah. They have this type all over the country, but

Penang's brand is still the best.

Just for your info, the Chinese in Penang and Phuket, Thailand, speaks Hokkien.

One of the Chinese local dialects. Whereas in Kuala Lumpur they are Cantonese

speaking......... just like Hong Kong. By the way, Singapore is also Hokkien speaking, but mandarin is widely spoken. Of course English is also widely spoken.

If you love pork, try this delicacy. Very popular. it's called Bak Kut Tay in Hokkien.

It goes very well with rice, together with Chinese tea.

Seems like the business is going to prangin mall from komtar too - prangin is right next to komtar and there is now an elevated bridge between the two.

I think komtars demise may be due to alot of money going missing along with the person behind it...

back to food - try a kaya bun - this can be bought in one of the many chinese bakeries around the place - it is a quite sweet spread but on freshly baked bread is fantastic

the komtar food court has now closed down and the prangin mall court is not up to the same - mostly chinese there but right at the end near to the toilet (no reflectio on the food) there is an indian couple selling some great nasi kandar - this is like a buffet where you just choose the food you want

Some other great food to try (mainly penang indian)

mutarbat - indian bread with meat and curry sauce to dip

roti chanai cheese

roti chanai pisang - banana

paper dose - massive size but you can easily eat three...

ais kachang - great desert with lots of ice - very cooling and refreshing

serunding - shredded meat - eat with rice

nasi lemak - staple food for malays - rice, sauce, small fish, peanuts, cucmber ++ - u must try this

mee hoon goreng - thin noodles with spice and usually some meat or fish

a few drinks too...

teh tarik - highly poured frothy tea - also get ice version with ice cubes

horlick ais - my favorite hot horlicks with ice cubes

soy bean milk - get the fresh stuff - dont get preserved or pasteurised

when you eat at a malay restaurant there seems to be certain sauces that the meat / fish you choose can be cooked in - havent worked this out yet - but all of them seem nice to me !

word of warning though - if you go into a predominantly muslim food place and have a beer carry in - ask if it ok to drink first - this only applies in the local local places - if u do this in the tourist places shouldnt be a problem...

Some really great pieces of info in this thread.

Tried Penang Hill already, took the last cable car up for the day, and Georgetown/Butterworth from up above is really a beautiful sight. The ride itself was a bit too slow though, also, they crammed in a bit too many passengers for it to be comfortable. Still worthwhile as you said.

Have splurged out on Indian food - all I have tried so far is really nice, and the Hainanese Chicken Rice I had yesterday was interesting as well, especially in comparison to the khaao man kai as eaten in Thailand. Both have their individual merits. The 1 ringgit Kopii at the hawker centre down by the Esplanade was great as well.

Hope this thread will keep running as I am sure it will be really helpful to the many other Thaivisa members who will undoubtedly find themselves in Penang at one point or another...

Seems like the business is going to prangin mall from komtar too - prangin is right next to komtar and there is now an elevated bridge between the two.

KOMTAR is depressing these days. The less time spent there, the better. I noticed that even Malaysia Airlines pulled their city ticket office from KOMTAR. The only shopping worthwhile in KOMTAR anymore is the Parkson Aktif store (good clearance items), and that store can even be visited without entering KOMTAR proper via the Prangin Mall footbridge.

Having said that though, the view from the top floor of KOMTAR can be fantastic on a nice day. Entrance fee is RM 5.00 if memory serves and they give you a soft drink while enjoying the view.

the komtar food court has now closed down and the prangin mall court is not up to the same - mostly chinese there but right at the end near to the toilet (no reflectio on the food) there is an indian couple selling some great nasi kandar - this is like a buffet where you just choose the food you want

Agreed. The Prangin Mall foodcourt is a bit disappointing. There are actually a couple good nasi kandar places outside and underneath KOMTAR near the various bus stops. Can't remember the names of either restoran but at least one of them is a 24-hour joint.

Tried Penang Hill already, took the last cable car up for the day, and Georgetown/Butterworth from up above is really a beautiful sight. The ride itself was a bit too slow though, also, they crammed in a bit too many passengers for it to be comfortable.

It can be a very cramped ride at times, especially weekends.

Did you take a taxi out to Penang Hill from town or did you brave a bus? If the former, what are they getting for that fare now?

The 1 ringgit Kopii at the hawker centre down by the Esplanade was great as well.

While in Penang, the OvenMan is usually all over the kopi o kosong (black coffee w/o sugar)! :o

First time I arrived in Penang I thought 'What a fackin' boring chit-hole'.

Once I stopped comparing it to Thailand it was only then that I started to really enjoy the place.

Can't recall how to get there but Kek Lok Sii (?) temple is worth a visit too. Pay close attention to the swastika symbols on the buddha statues. :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

can anyone recommend specific places to eat and drink in georgetown? i am going there soon and last time i was there i had a hard time finding anything good. i would like to try the local food but it's not so obvious what is for sale where.

i would like to try the local food but it's not so obvious what is for sale where.

You should try some of the Malay/Indian nasi kandar shops. Penang is renowned throughout Malaysia for its excellent nasi kandar shops. Usually marked as such, these are big, brightly lit restaurants with a cart of prepared food at front. Point and pick. Be careful though as each item you add to your plate of rice costs a little bit more. The server will be happy to keep piling up food on your place forever! The Chinese equivalent to a nasi kandar shop is a food stall marked economy rice.

For shopping - island Plaza is good.....but dont expect too much.

Best things to do in Penang is take the overnight boat trip - Amusement world.....cheap cocktails and a lot of Karoake....as long as you can stop yourself venturing to the casino....

Food is free...

The Hol Equatorial is magnificent - but pricey...worth a look...

As to the locals - well they are great at ripping the shit out of you any way the can....been to Penag twice - last time 3 months ago for 8 days....will be 8 years until i go back....