Hi-Rise Building Earthquake Standards

givenall

The data is very muddy regarding the building standard forhigh rise building. Can anyone out there explain to what degree we areprotected against earthquake? I have heard any high-rise constructed after 48(2005) have to be design to withstand min of 5.0 earthquake which seems to bevery substandard rules for a person who comes from San Francisco area

It's probably not substandard in an area that has no history of major earthquakes.

I would think every new condominium trying to sell theirunit will have to worry about proving data about their condo is built tocertain earthquake standard in their contract.

I guess the sales of condo will drop now since they really can’tprovide the proof

It's probably not substandard in an area that has no history of major earthquakes.

I would think every new condominium trying to sell theirunit will have to worry about proving data about their condo is built tocertain earthquake standard in their contract.

I guess the sales of condo will drop now since they really can’tprovide the proof

Standards? Thailand has standards?

News to me.

Depends on which kind of professionals rule the standard. Engineers are very conservative in adopting international practices, while architects are direct opposites. Look at those glass houses in the tropics...:lol:

For the longest time, Thailand was never considered an earthquake zone, at least not in the public mind.

I remember in 1997 reading somewhere an opinion on the possibility of earthquakes, and when I brought it up in conversation, everyone thought it was absurd, including Japanese people living in BKK.