Studying The Thai Language

mijan24

Does anyone have any information about studying the Thai Language in Khon Kaen.

I am not talking of the local weekly courses or one on one teaching - I am interested in exploring what's available in a more formal atmosphere.

I have heard that there maybe courses available at Khon Kaen University or AUA but can not seem to past the stage of heresay.

Assistance with contact names or telephones contacts or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

I am not talking of the local weekly courses or one on one teaching - I am interested in exploring what's available in a more formal atmosphere.

I have heard that there maybe courses available at Khon Kaen University or AUA but can not seem to past the stage of heresay.

Assistance with contact names or telephones contacts or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Khun Mijan24,

Another alternative for formal Thai language studies is at a Thai Temple (Wat Thai). I learned my basic Thai, including the Thai alphabet, at a Thai Temple. The class was instructed by a Monk who was a former teacher at Wat Po in Bangkok. For the first two years, the Monks would not teach conversation, until the students could read, write and pronounce the Thai alphabet. I highly recommend this experience if you can find a Temple in your area with Monks who are good teachers and have the time to teach.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

Edited by Mr. Farang

Isn't there a college for Asian studies or something in Khon Kaen. I am new to KK.

Neeranam yes there is, tyo be honest didn't give it a thought - will check it out also Ray23 has provided so info which I think could be very useful, Mr.Farang thanks also for the thought it is another alterative I happen to know a monk back in Nonthaburi at Wat Noi will talk with him also.

Dear Khun Mijan24,

Another alternative for formal Thai language studies is at a Thai Temple (Wat Thai). I learned my basic Thai, including the Thai alphabet, at a Thai Temple. The class was instructed by a Monk who was a former teacher at Wat Po in Bangkok. For the first two years, the Monks would not teach conversation, until the students could read, write and pronounce the Thai alphabet. I highly recommend this experience if you can find a Temple in your area with Monks who are good teachers and have the time to teach.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

I go to school to learn Thai and they have suggested me not learning how to read and write until I can speak Thai. I've been having problems with pronouncing the alphabet maybe this is best for me.

Dear Khun Mijan24,

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

I go to school to learn Thai and they have suggested me not learning how to read and write until I can speak Thai. I've been having problems with pronouncing the alphabet maybe this is best for me.

Icey, i'm learning Thai at a Temple in the UK and the (Thai) teacher insisted that we learnt to read, write and pronounce the alphabet before we go on to conversation. Her view is, how can you pronounce words correctly if you can't pronounce the alphabet. However, we being impatient farang, gave her some feedback that we where getting bored as we didn't think we was learning very much. So, we now do an hour or so on the alphabet and an hour on conversation. Seems to be an ammicable solution to all. But now that i can read, write and pronounce all the alphabet (except Ngor Ngoo, i struggle with that one) :o i think it is really worth the time and effort. Good luck in your studies.

Icey, i'm learning Thai at a Temple in the UK and the (Thai) teacher insisted that we learnt to read, write and pronounce the alphabet before we go on to conversation. Her view is, how can you pronounce words correctly if you can't pronounce the alphabet. However, we being impatient farang, gave her some feedback that we where getting bored as we didn't think we was learning very much. So, we now do an hour or so on the alphabet and an hour on conversation. Seems to be an ammicable solution to all. But now that i can read, write and pronounce all the alphabet (except Ngor Ngoo, i struggle with that one) :o i think it is really worth the time and effort. Good luck in your studies.

This is similar to the course I took as well - it works well, especially if the teacher is adamant about correcting every little mistake you make. It can be frustrating of course, but is for the better in the end.

The pronunciation should be established from the start. If you 'learn' a word but your pronunciation is wrong and you use it a few times, you are very likely to cement your bad pronuncation, and it is usually more difficult to change pronunciation habits already acquired than to learn new pronunciations from scratch.

Learning Thai well requires a fair bit of cramming, that's just the way it is.

Dear All,

I concur with Khun Mr. Bojangles and Khun Meadish. My Thai teachers would not permit me to speak Thai until I could pronounce, correctly all the Thai vowels and consonants. As I recall, this took about two years.

As a side, I have yet to hear a Farang speak Thai well who did not learn how to pronounce, read and write the Thai alphabet first. Actually, I can just about tell when I hear Farangs speak Thai if they know the alphabet, as the sounds otherwise are a bit "painful to the hear".......

Thai is a very beautiful language. I am very grateful and thankful to the Thai Monks and Thai people who taught me for many years and I am very happy they insisted all students learn to correctly pronounce the alphabet first, at a bare minimum.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

Edited by Mr. Farang