A Hole In The Head?

Deeral

Apparently Thailand has decided to buy 6 second-hand German diesel-electric submarines.

They claim it is to "protect" Thai interests.

As far as I can ascertain, the Thai navy has never had submarines, and will have to start and train a whole new arm of the navy.I would suggest that apart from the inevitable comparisons with the Keystone cops, this will represent quite a provocative move on the part of Thailand especially considering the strained relationships between this country and Cambodia.

Edited by Deeral

Against which specific threat would such submarines be useful?

Cambodian shipping boats armed with 50 mm machine guns? Just wondering.

Never heard of a "50 mm" gun but the Cambodian Navy might have such, who knows....

.50 cal, perhaps?? 12.7 mm? 20 mm? Lots of mm options, but not "50" it seems.

Mac

maybe Thailand wants to be the Sub Hub in the future ,,, far , far distant furure ,,,, ;)

That doesn't make sense.

like many things here :)

Well it gave me a good laugh and made a lot of sense if you see how often the word hub is used by Thai politicians.

If my memory serves me right Thailand already has one submarine . It sits at the dock more as a museum. Never been used. It is docked beside their only aircraft carried which by the way is the smallest aircraft carrier ib the world H.T.M.S. Chakri Naruebet CVH-911. Perhaps soon there will be 6 more museum pieces. This is down in Sattathip docks. I am curious really to see if they train men to use these onesn

As former Russian NAVY submarine officer I do approve the bargain because it is very good opportunity to restore coral population.

I take it that you don't think they will be floating for very long :rolleyes: Will it be because of the Thai crews inability to handle the boat or because it's "German Technology" :whistling:

Edited by Diablo Bob

As former Russian NAVY submarine officer I do approve the bargain because it is very good opportunity to restore coral population.

I take it that you don't think they will be floating for very long :rolleyes: Will it be because of the Thai crews inability to handle the boat or because it's "German Technology" :whistling:

How do you sink a Thai Submarine?

Send down a diver and knock on the door.

Patrick

Thailand should learn from the Canadian fiasco. Canada made a serious error in 1998 when it purchased 4 decommissioned Upholder class subs from the Royal Navy. The UK had a good laugh at Canada's expense when it got rid of its garbage. The UK basically mislead Canada, selling defective merchandise. This culminated in a serious fire at sea on one of the subs maiden voyage, killing one officer and seriously injuring several other crew. To date, the subs are almost always in port awaiting more repairs. I sincerely doubt that the Germans subs will be any better, nor will the Germans be any different than the UK when it comes to selling obsolete equipment.

Thailand should learn from the Canadian fiasco. Canada made a serious error in 1998 when it purchased 4 decommissioned Upholder class subs from the Royal Navy. The UK had a good laugh at Canada's expense when it got rid of its garbage. The UK basically mislead Canada, selling defective merchandise. This culminated in a serious fire at sea on one of the subs maiden voyage, killing one officer and seriously injuring several other crew. To date, the subs are almost always in port awaiting more repairs. I sincerely doubt that the Germans subs will be any better, nor will the Germans be any different than the UK when it comes to selling obsolete equipment.

Hmmmm, don't you think it's up to the buyers experts to fully examine a purchase before buying instead of blaming the seller, after all the UK was selling them cause they had served their useful life and being '' scrapped ''. :rolleyes:

It is my understanding that the deal clincher was that the seller modify the subs to have glass bottoms.

This is so the crews on the new subs will have an up close and clear view of the old Thai navy.

AND see where they are going. :lol:

Against which specific threat would such submarines be useful?

Cambodian shipping boats armed with 50 mm machine guns? Just wondering.

It is for monitoring the streets and airport in Nakhon Si Thammerat.

I am there at the moment....it is suitable deep for an submarine currently

Pirates. Pick your nationality.

Perhaps a counter to an Indian navy?

Indonesia actually. They have the old style 206's, U13, U14, U19 and U20.

They were all built around 1969. But the Thai ones were upgraded.

Project 206A diesel electric subs

Speed: 10 knots (19 km/h), surfaced;

17 knots (31 km/h), submerged Range: 4,500 nmi at 5 knots, surfaced;

(8,300 km at 9 km/h)

228 nmi at 4 knots, submerged

(420 km at 7 km/h)

They are going for about 3,000,000,000 baht each.

They sleep 12 people.

For about three times they could get a new Dolphin class 209 like the Israel bought from the Germans.

I hope the above information is accurate. The guy in the bar looked reputable. He spoke with a Russian accent.

Goodness me guys get real, think only kick back repeat think only kick back, fire trucks, patrol boats, blimp, Ukrain armoured cars, bus fleet, sky walk, airport, on and on and on.:ph34r:

You forgot the ambulances.

Diesel subs? hahaha. Against any real military those would be laying on the bottom of the ocean as artificial reefs in no time flat. Even against a half-assed military I imagine modern destroyers/spotter craft can outmaneuver diesel subs and drop enough depth charges/sub killing torps to sink that investment real fast. I bet the general in charge of these latest appropriations will make a speech proclaiming Thailand's military superiority (with second handed tech) and go back to his corruption money purchased mansion somewhere.

The Swedish planes were already a big useless money sink but these subs are something else..

Diesel subs? hahaha. Against any real military those would be laying on the bottom of the ocean as artificial reefs in no time flat. Even against a half-assed military I imagine modern destroyers/spotter craft can outmaneuver diesel subs and drop enough depth charges/sub killing torps to sink that investment real fast. I bet the general in charge of these latest appropriations will make a speech proclaiming Thailand's military superiority (with second handed tech) and go back to his corruption money purchased mansion somewhere.

The Swedish planes were already a big useless money sink but these subs are something else..

:lol: Must agree. :lol:

Remember Saddams massive army of old tech arms that was going to show all the mother of all battles :rolleyes: which lasted about 10 minutes, same bloody useless decisions here.

Edited by transam

Wintermute go to the corner and put on your dunce cap.

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Ecuador, Greece. Indonesia, Sough Korea, Peru, South Africa, Turkey, Venezuela and Israel use the same type of German sub that Thailand is going to buy. Canada and the UK use Victoria class Diesel electric submarines among others.

Australia is building 12 new diesel electric submarines.

Wintermute go to the corner and put on your dunce cap.

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Ecuador, Greece. Indonesia, Sough Korea, Peru, South Africa, Turkey, Venezuela and Israel use the same type of German sub that Thailand is going to buy. Canada and the UK use Victoria class Diesel electric submarines among others.

Australia is building 12 new diesel electric submarines.

Yea, anyone with a brain knows diesels are the only way to go. The Thais were going for used nuclear subs but were afraid of possible meltdowns after earthquakes.

Edited by happyrobert