Muslim Violence Wrecking Southern Thailand Economy

Boon Mee

By Rungrawee C. Pinyorat

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Islamic supremacists are destroying the economy in southern Thailand with a bombing and murder spree.

PATTANI, Thailand – The open-air market in this southern Thai city falls eerily quiet on Fridays. Most vendors stay home, terrorized by leaflets threatening to kill or cut off the ears of anyone who works on the Muslim holy day.

After 20 months of insurgent violence, the no-work threat has driven another nail into what is becoming an economic coffin in Thailand’s terrorized southern provinces.

“My business has been bad as customers are afraid to come out,” said Thanchanok Putroy, 39, chopping up a catfish in the market where most stores were shut and buses aren’t running.

Among the hundreds killed in the predominantly Muslim provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat are police and soldiers, but police records show that 80 percent are civilians – rubber tappers, shopkeepers, civil servants, construction workers and ice cream vendors.

Bombs have exploded at a department store, a cinema complex, the international airport at Hat Yai and a department store owned by the French Carrefour chain. Now investors and tourists have been driven off and some workers are leaving.

“Trade has dropped 70 to 80 percent. Shopkeepers complain loudly. It is very quiet at night and people from outside dare not to come to the area,” said Panya Ongsakul, chairman of the three provinces’ chamber of commerce.

Link

**Note: when posting news stories please credit the author/source in the post itself**

Edited by cdnvic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Islamic supremacists are destroying the economy in southern Thailand with a bombing and murder spree.

PATTANI, Thailand – The open-air market in this southern Thai city falls eerily quiet on Fridays. Most vendors stay home, terrorized by leaflets threatening to kill or cut off the ears of anyone who works on the Muslim holy day.

After 20 months of insurgent violence, the no-work threat has driven another nail into what is becoming an economic coffin in Thailand’s terrorized southern provinces.

“My business has been bad as customers are afraid to come out,” said Thanchanok Putroy, 39, chopping up a catfish in the market where most stores were shut and buses aren’t running.

Among the hundreds killed in the predominantly Muslim provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat are police and soldiers, but police records show that 80 percent are civilians – rubber tappers, shopkeepers, civil servants, construction workers and ice cream vendors.

Bombs have exploded at a department store, a cinema complex, the international airport at Hat Yai and a department store owned by the French Carrefour chain. Now investors and tourists have been driven off and some workers are leaving.

“Trade has dropped 70 to 80 percent. Shopkeepers complain loudly. It is very quiet at night and people from outside dare not to come to the area,” said Panya Ongsakul, chairman of the three provinces’ chamber of commerce.

Link

Seems to me that the "insurgents" are terrorising their own people. Either you are with or against us!! Rings a bell does it not?

Something for everyone to ponder... even though this is certainly not Singapore.

"The recent arrest of three Singaporeans accused of making racial slurs on Internet message boards has sparked a cyberspace crackdown by authorities in Singapore.

The arrest of Benjamin Koh Song Huat, 27, and Nicholas Lim Yew, 25, in Singapore on September 12 for allegedly posting comments insulting the country's Muslim Malay minority. A third Singaporean, a 17-year-old, was charged separately on September 16.

Charged with sedition, all three face prison terms of up to three years if convicted."

:o

Violence is usually about power, not religion itself. It is often carried out in the name of religion.

If you marginalise a minority then beware; you are creating a good medium for those who would like to create power for themselves through promoting violence.

THe poor and oppressed are a breeding ground for those seeking a "quickie" solution through violence.

Violence is usually about power, not religion itself. It is often carried out in the name of religion.

If you marginalise a minority then beware; you are creating a good medium for those who would like to create power for themselves through promoting violence.

THe poor and oppressed are a breeding ground for those seeking a "quickie" solution through violence.

Well said ! The bad thing is that they do take it out on thier own people . I mean come on , burning a school down . Thats just wrong ! Im sure their gods do not aprove of this and will find out in the after life

They burn "Thai" schools down, not their own muslim "pondoks".

They think that government schools indoctrinate their children in Thai ways of life and Thai history - that's why they target them. Clever move.

Terrorise the teachers, get rid of Thai education, and the next generation of muslims won't even speak the language let alone follow Bangkok's orders.

Just remember that the news on this one is being censored so you may not be getting the truth. No sides to take but... it would suit the Thai Government very well if everyone believed that it was Muslims causing all the trouble. That way, they get to go down there and shoot everyone.

Food for thought.

I agree Tornado, it is a 'yawn' but I also believe that the situation on south Thailand is critical and will have a huge effect on Thailand. Excuse me taking a journalistic standpoint and taking an interest in the state of the nation. Can't help it, not personal just observing.

the muslims are winning their little battle and the civilised world are not helping the situation.

evry time there is a raid on these mosques to get known terrorists any where in the world let alone thailand the muslim's claim victimisation and we listen.

why did the authorities get kept back by muslim women, the women are as guilty as the b++tards that killed these marines.

muslims can not live together let alone live with other cultures. :o

why don't they go back to their original country of their ancestors and stop forcing there sorry ethics down other people's throat, once thier they can happily murder each other.

this is my rant for the day

realistically this problem is world wide and their is no solution.

Please don't flame me, but I also don't understand this. I know they want their own "state", but there are more intelligent ways to do this. And they can sure do that while being part of Thailand. I think many of the problems are caused by a few bad apples that have other interests in mind (financial?). It is just sad that innocent people have to pay for this. Sucks. There is no reason in the world to harm innocent people. Just a shame...

>>>I know they want their own "state", but there are more intelligent ways to do this

Sure you can give them their state now but then they will want more and more.

Their goal (and you'll never here this in the liberal press) is total world domination.

In their Rapture, Mohamed will not return to the Earth until all Earths inhabitants

are either"

1) Muslim

2) Converts to Islam

3) Dead

Its all in the Quran, its all cut and dry

I agree Tornado, it is a 'yawn' but I also believe that the situation on south Thailand is critical and will have a huge effect on Thailand. Excuse me taking a journalistic standpoint and taking an interest in the state of the nation. Can't help it, not personal just observing.

The "yawn" wanst directed at you seonai, its just a typical post from Boon Mee to support his anti muslim war - yawn.

No one will ever will give them "their" state. There are not "stipid" or "intellegent" ways of achieving this. Giving them autonomy, let alone statehood, is not on the Thai cards.

I doubt that Taksin's government has any long term vision for the muslim South.

Please stop speculating about what they might do next.

Please don't flame me, but I also don't understand this.  I know they want their own "state", but there are more intelligent ways to do this.  And they can sure do that while being part of Thailand.  I think many of the problems are caused by a few bad apples that have other interests in mind (financial?).  It is just sad that innocent people have to pay for this.  Sucks.  There is no reason in the world to harm innocent people.  Just a shame...

Most of you don't know the teachings of Islam. I did that many hours a day for the last 3 weeks.

To understand Islam, you must know that they have Allah, a revengeful and sadistic deity, that will burn every unbeliever in hellfire forever. There is even a hadith that claims that there is only space for 70'000 believers in paradise. The surefire way to get there is to die in Jihad, warfare for Allah. Basically those fanatics just try to save their butts. It is the result of a regligion based on fear instead of love. As such, the Muslims are the victims of their own religion.

Most of you don't know the teachings of Islam. I did that many hours a day for the last 3 weeks.
Wow, you should be like a super-mullah or something !
Basically those fanatics just try to save their butts

Does the Koran actually say 'butts' !? I never knew that. But you've been studying for 3 whole weeks, so I guess it does.

FACT the following country have problem with Fanatics Muslim?

1. USA

2. England

3. France

4. Holland

5. Switzerland

6. Spain

7. Russia

8. Yugoslavia

9. China

10. India

11. Thailand

12. Sudan

13. Indonesia?

14. Philipines?

15. Israel almost forgot

add more if u know

I don't know what Koran said but read the list.. the result is not good

Edited by Anek18

the moog,

I actually try to ignore your posts coz I'm really not smart or clever enough to understand you. But since i feel that u really have something that u want to say.......

Can you tell us more what your views are on this topic regarding the south of thailand? Are u very familiar with the problem there?

pls note that my english is not very good! So pls, can u try to tell me in simple english and directly what u think?

BTW, i have seen all those beheading videos and felt really sad. I myself find it hard to relate them to filming arts. But of course, worse things happen in this fxxking world.

FACT the following country have problem with Fanatics Muslim?

1. USA

2. England

3. France

4. Holland

5. Switzerland

6. Spain

7. Russia

8. Yugoslavia

9. China

10. India

11. Thailand

12. Sudan

13. Indonesia?

14. Philipines?

15. Israel  almost forgot

add more if u know

I don't know what Koran said but read the list.. the result is not good

But someone is going to say that this is the list of countries that muslims have problem with!

it's correct in Quaran that fridays is a Holy day for Muslim but not for stop working to became lazy and uncompetative in economic ,

In Malaysia example moden Muslim advance country on Friday close from 12.30 p.m to 2.30 p.m for Fridays prayers and it's wrong to close whole day which banking and share will lose millions of dollar in trading .

Those are fanatics whose doesn't understand ISLAM at all.

Even Phophet Muhamad itself was a every good businessman on that time.

Edited by Kido

the moog,

I actually try to ignore your posts coz I'm really not smart or clever enough to understand you. But since i feel that u really have something that u want to say.......

Can you tell us more what your views are on this topic regarding the south of thailand? Are u very familiar with the problem there?

I've been told, (by a relative of Pibunsongkram), that the longstanding dispute was made to flare up again when the Government noticed that tea money was being paid to the Clerics and leaders in the 3 provinces. They stopped the money, and the fuss began as the clerics started getting nasty.

They weren't professional terrorists originally, just local thugs- thats why they didn't take their attacks to Bangkok. However, now its mushroomed, the nutty Indonesian outlaws may start coming in. Already we see more professional tactics (eg shaping their bomb charges).

Engineering a military-led bloodbath of villagers carrying pitchforks down there, (such as heartily advocated by those who ironically can't even stomach looking at gore scenes), will make it far worse and bring every crazed fanatic here from Philippines to Yemen. That is why the Queen is advocating a different solution.

The Political answer recommended by Deputy PM Chavalit should also work, but so far has been rejected by Thaksin.

ps

I actually try to ignore your posts
Don't worry you're in good company. Edited by The_Moog