Deputy PM Suthep Denies Coup Rumor

webfact

Deputy PM Denies Coup Rumor

A deputy premier has expressed confidence that there will be no coup before the upcoming election and insisted that the prime minister is ready to hold a debate with any political party, not only with deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Deputy Prime Minister in charge of national security Suthep Thaugsuban commented on prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's challenge for a debate with ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra before the general election takes place.

Suthep said there may have been a misunderstanding as Abhisit wants to invite leaders of all political parties, particularly the Pheu Thai leader or anyone that Pheu Thai sees appropriate to become the new prime minister.

He said a debate should be held and broadcast live on television so the public would be informed on viewpoints of the person who Pheu Thai would propose as its candidate for Thailand's next prime minister.

Suthep added that he personally supports the debate and believes that Pheu Thai's prime ministerial candidate would be Thaksin's proxy.

The deputy prime minister went on to comment about the country's political situation that it is no longer unclear as political parties and members of the public are moving ahead with the poll.

Suthep also expressed confidence that the prime minister will surely dissolve the Lower House by the first week of May as promised.

Asked about attempts to obstruct the election, the deputy premier believes such moves will not be successful as the public want to see the election and the country moving forward.

Suthep denied a possible military coup before the poll, saying leaders of the armed forces strictly uphold democratic principles.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-28

footer_n.gif

Can't the PM get this guy to hush?

Suthep denied a possible military coup before the poll, saying leaders of the armed forces strictly uphold democratic principles.

Is the caveat, when their approved candidate is running things. A cynic would suggest that democratic principles go out the window when they don't agree with the results of the election. laugh.gif

Edited by geriatrickid

There are no coup rumors. Only these denials by Suthep. I've heard of no one else talking about this rumour, and the stock market hasn't moved at all based on any such rumor. In fact it's been doing nicely.

Common sense tells us that there would have to be something very severe to happen to justify a coup. The PAD hardly has any people, the Cambodian issue has died down, and the red shirts are only protesting once in while. One thing that could cause a coup is a fight within the military which is unlikely as almost all the next in lines are from the same loyal camp. The army also know that they can't run the country properly these days as the economy is simply too big. They best just leverage their power to help one or the other side in return for getting what they want. They know this now.

If I had a 100 baht for every denied coup rumor in Thailand, well ..., I'd certainly be richer.

If you had 100bt for every coup they do have , you would be doing quite well too.

I know a 100baht can be a lot of money for a poor person, but as a foreigner you are expected to have more money than that, atleast if you are here long-term.

Edited by TAWP

I spoke to a Thai businessman yesterday - who happens to be a friend - and he thought that there would be a coup some time soon.

Why did he think that?

Because he is Thai. He probably also frequently consults famous monks and even more famous fortune tellers. Thais are a paranoid bunch and it goes through all levels of society, but ESPECIALLY the higher echelons.

I spoke to a Thai businessman yesterday - who happens to be a friend - and he thought that there would be a coup some time soon.

You've been promising me a coup for months, I think. Didn't write it down, so would have to check when the earliest possible date for a coup would be. One of these days for sure :)

"Suthep denied a possible military coup before the poll, saying leaders of the armed forces strictly uphold democratic principles."

with massive vote buying and every party and every politicians is just serving money and a few super rich families a military installed government isn't more or less democratic than an elected one.

It is not important if you vote if the politicians don't serve the population, it is just a big show.