Ferang Murdered And Tossed In River

chang35baht

Has anybody any info on the ferang that was supposedly shot and killed(this is what my wife told me) after going to watch "maleng gwang" fights somewhere on the Bahn Namlat side of the river? Apparently he participated in the gambling also. His body was then dumped in the Mekok somewhere near or from the the Mae Fah Luang bridge.

Fact or fiction? Was he a tourist or was he someone that we know?

Any info welcome. :o

Let's hope that no news is good news in this case.

I guess about once a year beetle-fighting-tournaments are organized in Chiangrai.

When they are coming up you see that many small shops in the outskirts of town start selling beetles. Maybe up to ten sugarcane sticks are hanging outside the shops and each has a beetle attached to them with a little rope.

The principle of the fight is very simple. The arena is a round piece of wood of which the top is a lock.

In the middle under the lock is a hollow space, just big enough to house a female. Through a hole in the lock you see the back of the lady and even if the competing beetles might not see her, they can smell her.

The beetles approach and try to push each other away. The one who falls down from the battlefield has lost. The owner of the beetle is sitting behind his champion and encourages it by quickly rolling a canalized stick behind it which causes a rattling sound and vibrations.

Mostly the tournament lasts three days. The first two days the local Chiang Rai people learn which ones are their toppers, then the last day it becomes a regional event and it is time for the big guys to go into the ring.

Maesai, Chiang Khong, Payao, from the whole area the strongest beetles come together to make out who takes home the super-cup.

The same counts for their owners.

The winners of the local battle become quite expensive little animals and they are mostly sold to financially rather strong new owners.

So the third day it is not only a game anymore. It is mainly about gambling.

Add some Chivas Regal and Mekong and you get the picture.

It is illegal, but during these tournaments law-enforcement bows for tradition.

If you want to go and see, it might be recommendable to avoid going on the third day. The tension rises high that day and a single spark might cause an explosion.

Limbo.

Let's hope that no news is good news in this case.

I guess about once a year beetle-fighting-tournaments are organized in Chiangrai.

When they are coming up you see that many small shops in the outskirts of town start selling beetles. Maybe up to ten sugarcane sticks are hanging outside the shops and each has a beetle attached to them with a little rope.

The principle of the fight is very simple. The arena is a round piece of wood of which the top is a lock.

In the middle under the lock is a hollow space, just big enough to house a female. Through a hole in the lock you see the back of the lady and even if the competing beetles might not see her, they can smell her.

The beetles approach and try to push each other away. The one who falls down from the battlefield has lost. The owner of the beetle is sitting behind his champion and encourages it by quickly rolling a canalized stick behind it which causes a rattling sound and vibrations.

Mostly the tournament lasts three days. The first two days the local Chiang Rai people learn which ones are their toppers, then the last day it becomes a regional event and it is time for the big guys to go into the ring.

Maesai, Chiang Khong, Payao, from the whole area the strongest beetles come together to make out who takes home the super-cup.

The same counts for their owners.

The winners of the local battle become quite expensive little animals and they are mostly sold to financially rather strong new owners.

So the third day it is not only a game anymore. It is mainly about gambling.

Add some Chivas Regal and Mekong and you get the picture.

It is illegal, but during these tournaments law-enforcement bows for tradition.

If you want to go and see, it might be recommendable to avoid going on the third day. The tension rises high that day and a single spark might cause an explosion.

Limbo.

You didn't delete my post because you had no confirmation that a foreigner had been murdered. If you had gotten confirmation were you going to delete this post of yours too...don't you think its just as disrespectful as mine...going on about some bug fighting sport to give us some local 'color'...in spite of the fact that the post was about a persons death....

Mr. Chownah,

I have red very pleasant and positive postings of you.

But I am afraid I must say I red more negative postings of you.

You have been accusing me twice now:

Once for 'having something with uniforms'.

Once for applying double standards in a hypothetical case.

I hope your next posting is positive, on-topic and pleasant to read.

You have the ability to do so. Use it.

Limbo.

PS. Saturday 15 October one can visit a traditional 'maleng gwang' tournament in a protected area:

The Rajabhat University, not far from Ban Du. There will be no gambling allowed.

Edited by Limbo

Mr. Chownah,

I have red very pleasant and positive postings of you.

But I am afraid I must say I red more negative postings of you.

You have been accusing me twice now:

Once for 'having something with uniforms'.

Once for applying double standards in a hypothetical case.

I hope your next posting is positive, on-topic and pleasant to read.

You have the ability to do so. Use it.

Limbo.

PS. Saturday 15 October one can visit a traditional 'maleng gwang' tournament in a protected area:

The Rajabhat University, not far from Ban Du. There will be no gambling allowed.

Mr. Limbo

I too have seen many good posting from you and it is very strange that you have mentioned the negative postings of mine because the last two postings you have made on this thread have been very negative and directed toward me personally. You are a being very judgemental toward me and expressing your negative opinions about me freely in this thread.....this is not your usual posting style and I'm wondering why this is happening. I might add that this topic is not about me....but I'm sure that you already know this because you seem to think that it is about fighting insects....but in fact the topic here is not fighting insects. In any event, Chownah and the poor quality of his posts is NOT the topic here.

Chownah