Political Divide In Thailand Not Huge: Poll

webfact

Political divide not huge: Poll

By THE NATION

Voters are not that politically divided, so the red-versus-yellow conflict will have little bearing on the general election, according to a survey by the Asia Foundation.

Only 12 per cent identified themselves as red or yellow shirts, while 12 per cent were "slightly" leaning towards one camp or the other, the results of the "2010 National Survey of the Thai Electorate: Exploring National Consensus and Colour Polarisation" showed yesterday.

The remaining 76 per cent were not attracted to either colour.

Like the previous year, 93 per cent of the respondents in the 2010 survey agreed that democracy was the best form of government. On the issue of polit?ical intolerance, only 7 per cent said they ended friendships because of their yellow or red affiliation.

The biggest problem in their local area was the economy, answered 37 per cent, followed by drugs at 18 per cent, the environment at 4 per cent, corrup?tion at 3 per cent and political conflicts at only 2 per cent.

The survey found a diversity of opinions within the red- and yellow-shirt ranks. The two movements have more in common than differences.

The survey of 1,500 respondents was conducted from September-October last year.

"Overall, the mood of the nation was slightly less pessimistic than it was in 2009. The survey reveals that 54 per cent of Thai citizens in 2010 believed the country was moving in the wrong direction, down slightly from 58 per cent in 2009," the poll said.

"While 60 per cent of respondents had cited the poor economy as the biggest problem facing Thailand in 2009, this perception decreased significantly to only 35 per cent in 2010."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-29

Now, where are the red shirts (PTP) going to get their landslide election win with only 14% of people directly supporting them?

More anti red posts, you never miss an opportunity. If there is any chance of a reds victory there will be no election... I keep telling you that.

Now, where are the red shirts (PTP) going to get their landslide election win with only 14% of people directly supporting them?

More anti red posts, you never miss an opportunity. If there is any chance of a reds victory there will be no election... I keep telling you that.

Choosing the most opportune moment to hold an election is the right (barring being kicked out) of the ruling party - that My Friend is called politics. However, regardless of colour, I am lead to believe whoever has the biggest pot of tea money will win? That is perhaps why some do not want observers present during the election.

More anti red posts, you never miss an opportunity.

I'm sure I miss plenty of opportunities ... but there are so many opportunities, it makes it so easy. :lol:

If there is any chance of a reds victory there will be no election... I keep telling you that.

I suppose it's easy to say when your side doesn't have much chance of winning anyway.

Off topic post and reply removed. This line of discussion started on another topic, the posts were removed and it was suggested at that time to take the discussion to PM and not continue this discussion in public. Let's not continue this line of discussion shall we?