Need For Ticket Out Of Thailand ?

A friend from Sweden is planning to visit and he will arrive by air to Phuket from Hong Kong.

His plan is to stay in Thailand 3 weeks and then take the train or a bus to Malaysia.

He has ha flight ticket leaving Singapore back to Sweden 32 days after his arrival in Thailand.

Does he need to show the bus/train ticket to Malaysia when he enters Thailand in Phuket?

:):D:)

The bigger issue is getting on the flight - they are the people who check for onward travel when there is no visa in passport.

There are a number of countries,australia been one of them,where the airline will ask to see an outgoing ticket from thailand,they don't want to be responsible for you been refused entry and having to return you to where you came from.

But they always ask for your boarding card when you arrive at BKK immigration.............the airline that you are entering on will probably ask for onward travel arrangments

My wife (legal) from Philippines was refused to be allowed through immigration in PI to come home to our home in LOS. She had copy of her marriage license, extension of stay in Thailand via my retirement visa, re-entry permit already stamped in to her passport. They refused to let her go through without return ticket.

Just really depends on the intelligence (or lack of) of the agents you deal with. I was on phone to them and their supervisor who refused to budge, wife missed her plane and had to rebook 2 weeks later at a much higher price.

Hey,

I have been thinking about this same issue. I have a flight ticket from London to BKK in May and I am planning on staying in Thailand for about 3 weeks and then head down to Malaysia by train. As far as I understand if I have a tourist visa, I do not need a ticket out of the country, but if I was to use the visa exemption stamp I get at the airport, I would need a ticket out of the country and a proof of finances. Is this correct?

Would you suggest getting the tourist visa or is it worth pushing my luck and trying to get on the plane without a visa and onward ticket? I am a Finnish citizen but flying out from London.

It was caused by immigration, they refused to give her her passport back so she could not go to airlines boarding area without it.

That was a PI specific problem (mostly for females) as the government gives immigration the authority to refuse exit of local nationals for mere suspicion. Many officers take advantage of this for there own suspicious reasons.